PDA

View Full Version : LED lights and low power, a PSA

AngryScientist
10-18-2012, 06:58 AM
i had a great ride last night, in the twilight hours, dusk. low 60's, perfect temperature, conditions for riding.

had my tail light clicked on, flashing brightly. close to dark when i finally got home, and i noticed my tail light was dead, it's the rechargeable type, USB.

on thing i've noticed about some LED lights is they seem to be an "all or nothing" typed deal, in other words, with any battery power, they shine brightly, then, at terminal voltage, they die. no dimming to let you know the batteries are weak and you should recharge.

i was unhappy with myself for letting this happen, unknown to me, i was unsafe out there without a working tail light. so, just sayin - dont be me, make sure your lights are charged if you're getting out there in the low light hours. you obviously cant see your tail light when riding, and it might not be on!

MattTuck
10-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Unhappy with yourself? How do you think we feel? I don't know who I'm more disappointed in. You or Lance Armstrong. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I have a little blinker thing that runs on 2 AAA batteries. It is VERY light. may be worth it as a back up. It was purchased years ago, so I'm not sure the brand/model is still made, but I'm sure there are similar ones out there today.

oldpotatoe
10-18-2012, 07:51 AM
i had a great ride last night, in the twilight hours, dusk. low 60's, perfect temperature, conditions for riding.

had my tail light clicked on, flashing brightly. close to dark when i finally got home, and i noticed my tail light was dead, it's the rechargeable type, USB.

on thing i've noticed about some LED lights is they seem to be an "all or nothing" typed deal, in other words, with any battery power, they shine brightly, then, at terminal voltage, they die. no dimming to let you know the batteries are weak and you should recharge.

i was unhappy with myself for letting this happen, unknown to me, i was unsafe out there without a working tail light. so, just sayin - dont be me, make sure your lights are charged if you're getting out there in the low light hours. you obviously cant see your tail light when riding, and it might not be on!

I use 3 tail lights..as a guy that has been hit from behind....they all won't go south at the same time.

One on back of helmet, one on seat stays, one on wee bag under seat...2 Blackburn Fleas and a battery Blackburn cheapo. 2 headlights. A Light and Motion to see where I'm goin and a front, white flashing flea....Yep, I look like Xmas but really don't like to ride at night..even if the ride home is only about 4 miles.

Hartlin
10-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Two taillights here as well. Always worried one will die on me.

Quick question about lights. Currently I have a 300 lumen headlight and was looking at a new USB taillight package which also included another 300 lumen headlight.

Would that mean I essentially have a 600 lumen set up? Was thinking about having one pointed up the road and one pointed more in front of me.

tuxbailey
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Planetbike Suprerflash for the win!

And carry spare AAA batteries.

Hank Scorpio
10-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Knog blinder 4V usb rechargeable and sometimes a Dinotte 400R

AngryScientist
10-18-2012, 09:11 AM
i'm rocking the knog blinder myself, great light, gotta keep it charged though:)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6VIZSmr1yck/UFHBhxDCenI/AAAAAAAAAyQ/cPZ5nAzU3CY/s640/IMG_0162.JPG

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Nick

get a Dinotte. How much is peace of mind worth?

I spent 250 greenspan green stamps on the rear light. :eek:

worth every frn ...

BumbleBeeDave
10-18-2012, 09:40 AM
. . right now. But I have several of them and I've taken to throwing an extra in my jersey pocket just in case if I don't actually mount both on the bike.

I'm also seriously looking at a higher power rear light--L&M Vis 180 ($99) or Serfas Shield ($60).

but I'd still carry the extra in my pocket.

BBD

eippo1
10-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I have a Superflash, a Radbot, and a Solas light - one for each road bike and then swap around a Flea that I run on steady both to always have a backup and also so that drivers can gauge distance.

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Dinotte 400R

Planet Bike Super duper Flash on Helmet

Fire Eye on Helmet also.

http://illuminatedcycling.com/Fire%20Eye/Fire%20Eye/fireeyeconcept.html

The Dinotte has a fail safe mode. At low power it dims down to conserve
remaining battery juice. That should get you home.

djg
10-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Some LED lights do shift to a power conservation mode, but you're right that many just cut-off. For commuting purposes, I pack a small, lightweight backup blinkie -- not perfect, but it's no trouble, and it's there if I need it.

tiretrax
10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I have 3 also. I don't want to get hit from behind, which is also why I don't use an iPod while riding.

I don't think two 300 lumen lights = 600 lumens, but it will certainly be brighter than a single 300 light.

pakora
10-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I had a DiNotte front and rear and still curse the day that I only realized the rear was gone once I was home. I definitely don't feel the same with a blinkie, but I have not been able to pony up over a hundred bucks for the odd time I get caught out after full dark.

Unfortunately the result is I just never leave for a ride if I'll necessarily be on the road outside of city limits about a half hour after dusk.

Definitely great that when they're on low juice they go to low juice mode - I've forgotten to charge it when on a ride it had hit this point, gone out for a ride the next day and still had enough low juice juice to at least be visible.