PDA

View Full Version : Riverside?

BillG
10-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Does anyone cycle in/near Riverside CA? Is it a good area to ride in and does it have a good cycling culture?

Thanks!

akelman
10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Riverside is universally considered the least desirable of the UC's locations, including Merced. The air quality* is horrible (some of the worst in the state -- and that's saying something), the city itself is grim, and there's not much to do until you get closer to LA. There's not no biking culture (the RBC is a good club), but it's not great by any means. On the other hand, it's very near to beautiful mountain riding. And once you're out of town, there are some good roads. Plus, it's, what, an hour drive to the coast? Still, all in all, it's no Irvine, and Irvine is no Santa Barbara.

* The Riverside Bike Club (http://www.riversidebicycleclub.com/)'s annual century ride is called "Smog to Surf".

rodcad
10-18-2012, 09:30 AM
I used to live in Lake Elsinore to the south and commuted thru Riverside by car. Was not into cycling then so have no idea about the cycling culture, but I vividly remember lots of smog, lots of people, lots of cars and it's hot. I recall coming thru the mountains from Palm Springs and looking down into San Bernardino and not being able to see the town for the smog. Not my choice of a great place to live. If I worked in Riverside I'd commute in myself. This was in the 90's so I'm sure things have changed a lot, hopefully for the better. Good luck.

rodcad
10-18-2012, 09:34 AM
You might consider Canyon Lake/Menifee area to the south.

BillG
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Hmmm.. this doesn't sound good.:eek: *

*Academic alert. Akelman has a footnote in his post.

dancinkozmo
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Theres some really nice mtb and gravel roads in the santa ana mtns....roadwise i dont know.

CaliFly
10-18-2012, 11:13 AM
You can ride around Lake Matthews which has some pretty nice roads. To the East you have Redlands/Yucaipa/Calimesa where you can find good riding next to the foothills. Some steady climbs on Oak Glen and Mill Creek Roads.

RBC is a good club, and you can find more clubs again just to the East in Redlands.

Admittedly it's no Irvine or Santa Barbara or the Republic of Boulder...but you didn't ask about those places. ;)

bookit
10-30-2012, 12:51 AM
a lot of mountain biking thats for sure, not so sure on road...

false_Aest
10-30-2012, 07:46 AM
In terms of riding in SoCal it would be farther down on my list.

If it were possible I'd look at moving a lil bit NW closer to the mtns and on the other side of the 15. At least that way you're closer to some good climbing/descending loops. I expect that rent/property is higher though.