PDA

View Full Version : Nike: drop Lance, drop Michael, but not Tiger?

dd74
10-17-2012, 07:49 PM
I hate piling on, but I'd love some opinions:
Why would Nike drop Lance and Mike and not Tiger?
All three are top names in their sport? All three did reprehensible things while active in their sport. So why not Tiger? Is cheating on the wife simply not as big an offense as doping or shooting dogs?

BumbleBeeDave
10-17-2012, 08:01 PM
. . .I referenced in another thread a sports marketing guru was interviewed who made the crucial distinction. The offenses of Vick, Kobe, and Tiger happened off the field of play. Lance's offenses were PART of the field of oplay and the actual game and that means something.

Apparently to Nike, not to me.

They're all asshats size extra large.

BBD

malcolm
10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
. . .I referenced in another thread a sports marketing guru was interviewed who made the crucial distinction. The offenses of Vick, Kobe, and Tiger happened off the field of play. Lance's offenses were PART of the field of oplay and the actual game and that means something.

Apparently to Nike, not to me.

They're all asshats size extra large.

BBD

Plus Tiger was just a philanderer isn't that almost expected?

FlashUNC
10-17-2012, 08:40 PM
What Tiger did is ultimately between him and his-now ex wife.

Vick went to prison and Lance is being barred from his sport.

Pretty big distinctions.

67-59
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Nike is a business...so it's all about $$$. They decided that Tiger will still get $$$ for them, but Lance will not. Maybe they're right; maybe not.

54ny77
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Re: Tiger, he didn't cheat at sport, he cheated on his wife.

Kind of a big difference there, I'd imagine (morality issues aside...).

William
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Re: Tiger, he didn't cheat at sport, he cheated on his wife.

Kind of a big difference there, I'd imagine (morality issues aside...).

True, but still earns him an Asshat notch in my book.

William

tuxbailey
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Nike is a business...so it's all about $$$. They decided that Tiger will still get $$$ for them, but Lance will not. Maybe they're right; maybe not.

Well, you finally have proof that Lance went after anyone who dared to cross him in a vindictive manner.

rwsaunders
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Well said.

54ny77
10-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Nike alone had over $620MM of revenue in golf in 2011. How much of that was Tiger-driven? I'll guess a lot.

Certainly that's worth a little PR flack related to a 9-iron through the Caddy window and a couple of skanky Vegas hookers...

True, but still earns him an Asshat notch in my book.
William