PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Conundrum

Dromen
10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I am trying to match the saddle and tape on my IF CR. I had my heart set on the Brooks Swallow Antique Brown.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=111759&highlight=Club+Racer

I tried to go cheap route and match Fizik Antique Brown(shown in pics) with the seat...bad idea. I finally splurged on the Brooks Brown tape and there is a definite difference in the color out of box.

Conundrum - If i cant get the tape to match saddle it will feel like i compromised the build besides just bugging me every time i look at it. I have not wrapped the bars or ridden the saddle since receiving a warranty exchange from Brooks. So...

1. Do i wrap the bars and ride the saddle because they will "wear" into a similar/same look, OR.....

2. Sell the Brooks NOS stuff here and get a Antique Brown Fizik Antares Microtek saddle that i know will match current wrapped tape(yes Fizik and my bum get along nicely)?

Yes I am oversensitive to these things. Help me off the ledge.

jtakeda
10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Brooks. It will wear in

Birddog
10-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Sounds to me like you need the "Fine Cigar" leather wrap from another mfg to match the Brooks. It's better stuff anyway.

Toddtwenty2
10-17-2012, 06:42 PM
I've had Brooks brown, and the handlebra brown. The Brooks wore in to match very quickly (1-2 months of riding). The Handlebra hasn't worn in to match my Brooks seat yet, but it sure is comfortable.

Fishbike
10-17-2012, 08:14 PM
You are among similarly compulsive friends. Matching tape and saddles is not in the top ten most important things in life, but it might crack the top 100!

I have a brown Swallow and brown Handlebra ready to go for my next build and the match passed my matchy-matchy test. I also like the idea of Brooks and Brooks. I have that combo in honey. If folks say the brown Brooks tape will become closer to the saddle color with use, I say stick with the Brooks. Swallow saddles are so great on a classic bike. And leather tape looks and feels better than that Fizik stuff.

Dromen
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Birddog - Hbra site claims Fine Cigar pairs with Brook Honey brown not Antique brown. You know something?

Toddtwenty2 - Brown = Hbra's Dark Brown? Are you saying Hbra is a better product or just prefer the feel?

Fishbike - drives me crazy....the questions wont leave my head. I hate asking these top 100 most important thing questions, when i do, i turn to the forum.

EDS
10-17-2012, 10:48 PM
I am trying to match the saddle and tape on my IF CR. I had my heart set on the Brooks Swallow Antique Brown.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=111759&highlight=Club+Racer

I tried to go cheap route and match Fizik Antique Brown(shown in pics) with the seat...bad idea. I finally splurged on the Brooks Brown tape and there is a definite difference in the color out of box.

Conundrum - If i cant get the tape to match saddle it will feel like i compromised the build besides just bugging me every time i look at it. I have not wrapped the bars or ridden the saddle since receiving a warranty exchange from Brooks. So...

1. Do i wrap the bars and ride the saddle because they will "wear" into a similar/same look, OR.....

2. Sell the Brooks NOS stuff here and get a Antique Brown Fizik Antares Microtek saddle that i know will match current wrapped tape(yes Fizik and my bum get along nicely)?

Yes I am oversensitive to these things. Help me off the ledge.

That bike is begging for white tape and white saddle. Hoods too.

Birddog
10-18-2012, 06:35 AM
Birddog - Hbra site claims Fine Cigar pairs with Brook Honey brown not Antique brown. You know something?
Ooops, I missed that nuance. I guess I'm not OCD after all.

AgilisMerlin
10-18-2012, 06:54 AM
http://www.roadbike.de/sixcms/media.php/6/RB%200311%20Starshot%20Faggin%20Primavera%20Naehte .jpg

page 7 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://bdc-forum.it/%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DdXn%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=it&twu=1&u=http://www.bdc-forum.it/showthread.php%3Ft%3D147111%26page%3D7&usg=ALkJrhgWwjtsV9cqxhi8_92q6Rl1xd5dDg) :eek:

http://www.roadbike.de/sixcms/media.php/6/RB%200311%20Starshot%20Faggin%20Primavera.jpg

http://www.roadbike.de/sixcms/media.php/6/RB%200311%20Starshot%20Faggin%20Primavera%20%20Ket tenblatt.jpg

Dromen
10-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Merlin,
I don't know where you live but in chicago i think it is a crime for aiding in a suicide.

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Send me a PM

or call Jason at www.recoveredsaddle.com

Jason can recover your Saddle in exquisite Brown HandleBra leather AND
he has the wrap made outa the exact same leather to match perfectly.

I can also custom cord the leather wrap.

:D

sevencyclist
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
My Brooks brown bar tape darkened over time, but never quite as dark as my Brown saddle color. However, looks appropriate despite the slight difference.

Brooks B17 is my most comfortable saddle. If I could get along with a lighter saddle, I probably would have used it rather than the heavier Brooks. So If I were you, I would go with Antares, but that is probably me wanting something I can't get.

For now, I will just have to carry extra 1/2 lbs on all of my bikes.

Kirk007
10-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Let me help you out: send me the Brooks and I'll send you a classic flite ti in return :beer:

yngpunk
10-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Have you tried rubbing proofhide or other leather protector (such as Obenauf) into the handlebar tape? I found that it will darken the Brooks leather handlebar tape.

Dromen
10-18-2012, 11:25 AM
If I end up wrapping, most said proofhide post-wrapping.

EricEstlund
10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Remember this is pigmented cow skin- there is going to be some variation. With use it will spot, stretch, wear and generally age. That's ok.

Dromen
10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks Eric.

I get the natural material variance thing. I guess that is the crux of my inquiry....how is it going to age. I plan on sweating on it, spilling on it and accidentally raining on it. Just trying find out from those that have sweated, spilled, rained, etc on theirs, how it looks and matches up now.

I don't want to expend any more thought and effort(buying more tape, refinishing saddles,etc)....either the brooks team is gunna work or someone here i will have a nice, proofided NIB Ti Brown Swallow & Brown Tape.

EricEstlund
10-18-2012, 04:40 PM
While they won't age into being an exact color match, they will age with similar wear and character. They will become more of a "set" as they take on more "memory" of your use. Sort of like a wallet and belt- they might not be the same color as they get used and abused, but after a few years you could pick the pair out of a line up. To my eye that is improving with age.

Toddtwenty2
10-18-2012, 04:51 PM

Toddtwenty2 - Brown = Hbra's Dark Brown? Are you saying Hbra is a better product or just prefer the feel?

Fishbike - drives me crazy....the questions wont leave my head. I hate asking these top 100 most important thing questions, when i do, i turn to the forum.

Yes, I have Handlebra's dark brown. It hasn't darkened up as much as the Brooks yet.

I wouldn't say one product is better than the other, but they are certainly different. It depends on what characteristics you want. Handlebra has a softer feel to it, and the tape overlap is more flush. It is softer and smoother. Brooks has more pronounced ridges and the leather feels more tough/rigid. I can't comment on longevity comparisons, as they're both holding up well. I don't think you should worry either way about how long they'll last... they're both durable.

tannhauser
10-18-2012, 10:02 PM
This topic is jaw-droppingly intense.

Toddtwenty2
10-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Better than still discussing Lance.

jtakeda
10-19-2012, 12:00 AM
I have brooks tape with an older team pro saddle. They didn't match at first but after about 3 weeks they became the same color.

rustychisel
10-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Have you ever noticed how often the Bianchi celeste isn't actually celeste? And the saddle disappears under your arse anyway, and gets darker with wear.

dave thompson
10-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Brooks bar tape feels like you've wrapped your bars with a leather belt and the ridges can become uncomfortable with thin gloves and rough roads.

Dromen
10-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Just unrolled my tape to wrap the bars for possible the last good riding day here.....

Two different lengths, one too short to wrap and the other has a spliced seam that started to peal away when wrapped. I can only imagine the 3 stooges in QC at Brooks.

Off to Handle Bra for some dark brown tape. Just wondering what can go wrong this time with my cursed tape search.

thwart
10-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Just wondering what can go wrong this time with my cursed tape search.Well...

Dromen
10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
At least this dude was smart enough to wrap it up in matchable white.