PDA

View Full Version : Paying the Price of Racing Clean

Rueda Tropical
10-17-2012, 01:22 PM
This puts a number on what it cost to just say no to doping:

Bassons: For one, with money. When it came time to renegotiate my contract in June 1998, they proposed two entirely different contracts. The first was for 30,000 francs a month; they also offered a second contract of 300,000 francs a month if I would go on the EPO program.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2012/10/15/bassons-people-now-see-i-wasn’t-lying/

360,000 francs a year versus 3 million 600 thousand francs. Plus it's unlikely a team with a program would want a clean rider around -not a team player -not to be trusted.

How much money does that amount to over an entire career?- stolen by the dopers. In a clean peloton Bassons could have been pulling down something like $700,000 USD a year early in his career.

harlond
10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
360,000 francs a year versus 3 million 600 thousand francs. Plus it's unlikely a team with a program would want a clean rider around -not a team player -not to be trusted.

How much money does that amount to over an entire career?- stolen by the dopers. In a clean peloton Bassons could have been pulling down something like $700,000 USD a year early in his career.A mighty generous offer considering his palmares as of 1998.

Rueda Tropical
10-17-2012, 03:13 PM
A mighty generous offer considering his palmares as of 1998.

What did you expect for a clean rider?

His palmares are no surprise for a guy racing clean in that era and are no indication of his talent. For that kind of money the team must have seen a serious talent who - if he was on the juice - would have been competitive with the best.

Note the clean offer was bottom of the barrel.

harlond
10-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm not criticizing his palmares--a young rider, particularly in that era a young clean rider, could not be expected to have impressive palmares. But talent doesn't always equal results, so generally high salaries follow results, not the other way around.

Rueda Tropical
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm not criticizing his palmares--a young rider, particularly in that era a young clean rider, could not be expected to have impressive palmares. But talent doesn't always equal results, so generally high salaries follow results, not the other way around.

True - so management must have looked at his numbers in training and performance clean and thought they would have a super star if he got on the program. Why else would they offer such a huge amount to a guy without palmares?

harlond
10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
True - so management must have looked at his numbers in training and performance clean and thought they would have a super star if he got on the program. Why else would they offer such a huge amount to a guy without palmares?Defies logic.