PDA

View Full Version : Time for Heavy Lifting!

laupsi
10-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Offseason is here, except for you Xross folks, and once again time to consider hitting the weights to "enhance" your cycling capabilities; lunges and squats.

It may take longer than drugs to appreciate the results but it will make you faster, stronger, it will build endurance w/added muscle mass and it will "boost" your metabolism furthering rest period fat burning.

Remember those push-up threads from last year? Throw in a couple hundred a week and you won't regret it. Cheers ;)

Hank Scorpio
10-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Started my weight training program two weeks ago. Don't forget pull ups too.

rugbysecondrow
10-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Offseason is here, except for you Xross folks, and once again time to consider hitting the weights to "enhance" your cycling capabilities; lunges and squats.

It may take longer than drugs to appreciate the results but it will make you faster, stronger, it will build endurance w/added muscle mass and it will "boost" your metabolism furthering rest period fat burning.

Remember those push-up threads from last year? Throw in a couple hundred a week and you won't regret it. Cheers ;)

Agreed. I am earnestly doing Crossfit this fall/winter. I have incorporated its concepts for a few years, but am giving it a good honest shot at one of the facilities to see how it works for me. I like it so far, it is fun and I like the people. Friendly folks who push one an other in a good spirited way.

Also, to mix things up, I am running a half marathon this January in Austin, TX. Some rugby teammates from college and I are meeting there and thought it was a healthy way for us to meet, still indulge a bit, but then have some good healthy running to moderate the weekend.

I didn't ride much this year summer, no good reason other than I just didn't feel like it, but I did run more than I normally do. I am finishing a home reno now and I am jonesing for some long fall rides in the coming months.

MattTuck
10-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Off-season is premature. We've still got a month or two of cool and cold weather riding even here in Northern New England.... This is the time that separates the hard men from the nancy boys.

That said, strength training is a good idea all year round, especially for cyclists to build overall fitness and strength in the core/upper body. Hell, even lateral strengths in the legs isn't that well trained by cycling. Turns out cycling isn't that great of an activity for general fitness.... just cardio :(

I'm waiting for Tom Danielson's book about cycling core strength this winter.

bookit
10-30-2012, 12:56 AM
seriously, strength training makes you so much faster. worked for me at the track.

false_Aest
10-30-2012, 07:52 AM
seriously, strength training makes you so much faster. worked for me at the track.

This is only part true.
Strength training PAIRED with on the bike training makes you faster. Getting your body to lift heavy, for 5-10 reps is way different than what you do on the bike.

Still, its the best thing one can do for his/her health.

A reminder that lifting with poor form doesn't do jack. It's also the best way to keep yourself off the bike next season. Drop weight, do it right and ride enough that your squats turn into something other than a nice a$$

DarkStar
10-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Most of my workouts consist of burnouts, combination of pyramids and drop sets focusing on lower body power and leg strength. Easy on the upper body workouts, use moderate amount of weight, have a tendency to bulk up quickly. Lot of core strength workouts as well.

67-59
10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Off-season is premature. We've still got a month or two of cool and cold weather riding even here in Northern New England.... This is the time that separates the hard men from the nancy boys.

What he said!:banana:

Fixed
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Some plank ,down dog and warrior poses does a body good too
Cheers :)

DRietz
10-31-2012, 12:37 AM
For those that prefer body weight exercises, my standard leg workout after lifting in the gym is actually adapted from my brother's D1 college soccer conditioning routine:

In rapid succession with no more than 30 seconds in between exercises:
-25 below-knee squats
-24 alternating lunges
-24 alternating block jumps (step onto block of about knee height with one foot, propel into a jump as high as possible coming down on the block with the alternate foot for the next one)
-25 jump squats

I typically find that this single circuit is enough to destroy most of my cycling buddies, but the idea is that you take no more than a 2minute break after and then repeat the circuit, this time with no more than a 15 second gap between exercises.

BumbleBeeDave
10-31-2012, 04:31 AM
. . . until Daylight Savings Time ends. Then I'll go back to the gym. I'm still having trouble building any enthusiasm for doing it, though. I've really loved riding this year and I'm not ready to quit. Going back to the gym symbolically means "It's over" for the riding season.

BBD