PDA

View Full Version : Lance steps down

dekindy
10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Walked downstairs this morning and the first thing that I saw on FOX News was Lance riding a bicycle with a caption reading that he had stepped down as Chairman of the Livestrong Foundation.

William
10-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Breaking news...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/17/lance-armstrong-stepping-down-from-livestrong-charity/?hpt=hp_c2

Editor's note: Controversial American cyclist Lance Armstrong is stepping down from his Livestrong cancer charity. The announcement comes a week after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said it had uncovered overwhelming evidence of Armstrong's involvement in a sophisticated doping program.

[Updated at 8:22 a.m. ET] Nike has just released a statement saying they have terminated their contract with Lance Armstrong for misleading them for more than a decade.

"Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him. Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner," the statement on Nike's website reads. "Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer.

[Posted at 8:12 a.m. ET] Controversial American cyclist Lance Armstrong is stepping down as chairman of his Livestrong charity, which was set up to "fight to improve the lives of people affected by cancer."

The move comes a week after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said it had uncovered overwhelming evidence of Armstrong's involvement in a sophisticated doping program while a professional cyclist....

William

AngryScientist
10-17-2012, 07:50 AM
i just wanted to see if i could "merge" threads.

[x] yes, i can.

William
10-17-2012, 07:52 AM
i just wanted to see if i could "merge" threads.

[x] yes, i can.

Ha! I was just going to do that when I saw the multiple posts. Thanks Nick.

William

Elefantino
10-17-2012, 08:10 AM
the UCI is screwed. its excuses for siding against USADA are fast disappearing

ultraman6970
10-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Seeing this coming.

Nike had to quit to him to save their neck.

Levi was sacked because he is not belgian IMO.

laupsi
10-17-2012, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=Elefantino;1224076]the UCI is screwed. its excuses for siding against USADA are fast disappearing[/QUOT

yes along w/PL

FlashUNC
10-17-2012, 08:23 AM
I was more surprised that Nike walked away personally.

Lance had to go if the nonprofit has a hope in heck of surviving this.

witcombusa
10-17-2012, 08:25 AM
I'd love to see some numbers on just how "non-profit" the LiveStrong brand has been for him.....:no:

djg21
10-17-2012, 08:28 AM
My sense is that this is PR that will have little, if any, practical effect,

Accordng to Velonews:

1) "Armstrong did not receive a salary as the chairman and will remain on the 15-person board of directors. Vice chairman Jeff Garvey, who served as the founding chairman in 1997, will assume the vacant position"; and

2) Nike will continue working with the Livestrong Foundation. The foundation’s yellow and black-themed product range is a top seller for Nike.

So it appears that there will be only a change in Lance's title, and money will still flow from Nike to Livestrong, and perhaps to Lance's PR machine.

While Livestrong undeniably provides some commendable services, I hope its operations are closely monitored from this point forward. It will be interesting to see if the "yellow and black-themed product range" remains a top seller for Nike.

tuxbailey
10-17-2012, 08:56 AM
It might be Windows dressing as far as real impact LA is concerned since most of the negative PR had already happened. But it might serve notice to UCI that major sponsors to cycling could walk away easily if they still don't take this seriously.

Rueda Tropical
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Lance's continued commercial viability is dependent on Livestrong. It's the positive that counteracts the Tsunami of negatives and supplies the last and most loyal fans. He's doing what he needs to continue his involvement without appearing to put the Charity at risk for selfish reasons. He'll be able to continue to lead rides and have Livestrong sponsored events, etc., etc., He'll still have a relationship with Nike through Livestrong.

He is falling back to his last defensible position hoping he can create a bubble for himself where Lance is still the Alpha dog and hero.

If that keeps him from cheating other athletes and corrupting sport while at the same time helping people who find him an inspiartion then it's a win, win.

drewski
10-17-2012, 09:29 AM

The American people are programmable up to a point.

67-59
10-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Anyone who bought Tyler and Floyd's statements as "apologies" - or who thinks they're any less culpable than someone who doesn't "confess" - would buy pretty much anything....

FlashUNC
10-17-2012, 09:44 AM

And Nike's wrung every last drop out of the relationship with Lance. Isn't as if they're dumping him right in the middle of his run of Tour wins.

CunegoFan
10-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Armstrong's plan was to use the charity to survive this. It he cannot be the face of his charity anymore then he is boned. That is all he had left to cling to.

jr59
10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
My sense is that this is PR that will have little, if any, practical effect,

Accordng to Velonews:

1) "Armstrong did not receive a salary as the chairman and will remain on the 15-person board of directors. Vice chairman Jeff Garvey, who served as the founding chairman in 1997, will assume the vacant position"; and

2) Nike will continue working with the Livestrong Foundation. The foundation’s yellow and black-themed product range is a top seller for Nike.

So it appears that there will be only a change in Lance's title, and money will still flow from Nike to Livestrong, and perhaps to Lance's PR machine.

While Livestrong undeniably provides some commendable services, I hope its operations are closely monitored from this point forward. It will be interesting to see if the "yellow and black-themed product range" remains a top seller for Nike.

This^^^

Also, there is nothing that prevents Livestrong from paying Lance anything it wishes to. You know like 90% of what Nike gives to livestrong!

I think and believe that this is pure window dressing.

Fishbike
10-17-2012, 10:02 AM
The Board members of Livestrong have a real challenge to try to maintain/salvage the integrity of the organization. My guess is that they were all LA admirers, if not buddies. They are supposed to be independent and have a fiduciary duty to the organization, its mission and its donors. Adhereing to that duty in the midst of the Armstrong's implosion will be hard and will require some tough decisions.

fiamme red
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Armstrong's plan was to use the charity to survive this. It he cannot be the face of his charity anymore then he is boned. That is all he had left to cling to.Are you referring to his political ambitions?

I'm not going to worry about him. He seems to have made enough money to last him a few lifetimes, despite all the legal fees he's incurred recently.

BumbleBeeDave
10-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I think and believe that this is pure window dressing.

Very carefully thought-out PR. Nike and LA will still get their $$, just behind the scenes. but you can be sure his PR machine will trumpet this "sacrifice" to obscure that fact as much as legally possible.

BBD

Elefantino
10-17-2012, 10:18 AM
The unknown factor is the legal issues he faces. If ..

he perjured himself, or
he comitted fraud,

then the Nike contract and Livestrong will seem small by comparison.

gdw
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
What's next? Will Trek banish him and reintroduce the Lemond brand?

jr59
10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Very carefully thought-out PR. Nike and LA will still get their $$, just behind the scenes. but you can be sure his PR machine will trumpet this "sacrifice" to obscure that fact as much as legally possible.

BBD

Correct! Nike if nothing else is a PR machine. That's what they do.

I have personally been under contract 2 times in my life. Both times for another sport, but still Nike. Please believe that they will find ways to do what they want to do. Above board or below, a lot like the tails of Lance. These 2 companies were born for each other in the way they go about things.

I don't know any more than I read, but I do understand the way Nike thinks and operates.

laupsi
10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
didn't read all responses so this might be redundant: he didn't "step down", he was forced out!

BumbleBeeDave
10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
didn't read all responses so this might be redundant: he didn't "step down", he was forced out!

. . . in any of the news stories or releases I've seen yet. but I haven't read them all.

But I would doubt that the board actively forced him out. I can't imagine that it would not be stacked with a majority of Lance friends and supporters. They are reacting to PR realities of perserving any fundraising abilities the charity has left.

Also note this public action--sure to be publicized heavily by the parties involved--is also likely to have carryover positive preservation effects with the Livestrong.com organization, which is not a charity and brings in dollars for LA.

I would also be curious as to Nike's true actions relating to what they just announced. When they sell a piece of Livestrong merchandise and say a cut of the profits goes to the foundation, does any portion of those funds go to Lance personally?

If any $$ do go to LA, will those payments stop? Forgive my cynicism, but today's announcements smell of PR appearances rather than substance.

BBD

laupsi
10-17-2012, 11:09 AM
. . . in any of the news stories or releases I've seen yet. but I haven't read them all.

But I would doubt that the board actively forced him out. I can't imagine that it would not be stacked with a majority of Lance friends and supporters. They are reacting to PR realities of perserving any fundraising abilities the charity has left.

Also note this public action--sure to be publicized heavily by the parties involved--is also likely to have carryover positive preservation effects with the Livestrong.com organization, which is not a charity and brings in dollars for LA.

I would also be curious as to Nike's true actions relating to what they just announced. When they sell a piece of Livestrong merchandise and say a cut of the profits goes to the foundation, does any portion of those funds go to Lance personally?

If any $$ do go to LA, will those payments stop? Forgive my cynicism, but today's announcements smell of PR appearances rather than substance.

BBD

agreed but in terms of PR and Public Image, it was a decision that had to be made, "Lance, it's time to step down". I really doubt that if he resisted Nike would have capitulated however.

laupsi
10-17-2012, 11:26 AM
...futhermore when it comes to business friends finish last. those at the top of Nike are going to call the shots regardless. We thought LA was the new King, it turns out it has always been $$$!

jr59
10-17-2012, 11:33 AM

BBD

Good point here Dave.

Nike will continue it's support of Livestrong. It doesn't say which Livestrong.

It really is looking like window dressing when you remember that there are 2 Livestrongs.
It seems to allow Nike a way out in the public eye.

thashicray
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
What's next? Will Trek banish him and reintroduce the Lemond brand?

I wonder if Honey Stinger will redo their wrappers on their waffles. I don't really care who's on the wrapper, the darn things are yummy.

laupsi
10-17-2012, 12:33 PM
I am thinking when Nike initially announced they were not severing ties w/Armstrong some lower level influence was present. don't forget the share holders and the constant pressure for a company like Nike to grow profits.

When the proverbial $hit hit the fan those who control the $$$ forced this issue and as a result we have LA "stepping aside". It is simply presented in the media as though he was by his choice stepping down, allowing him to save "some" face.