PDA

View Full Version : custom paint in black, white, red combination

dekindy
10-16-2012, 12:28 PM
The Serotta Colorado that I purchased on the forum(rugbysecondrow) for a backup bike while not exactly the ideal top tube length for me, works pretty well and rides great so I want to do a custom paint job. I just cannot live with blue and pink! Also the frame is from the 80's and needs attention anyway as it is beginning to show small amounts of surface rust.

I did a forum search but was unable to uncover threads with pictures and an internet search was not that fruitful either. I have black 105 group and black WI hubs so I am thinking I want black paint around the hubs, bottom bracket and brake areas but some combination of red and white everywhere else and not sure about decal color. Any recommendations or pictures would be appreciated or pointing me to some forum threads or internet website galleries. I have tried coloring a frame silhouette that I printed but it is hard to visualize how it will look in real life.

rugbysecondrow
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
The Serotta Colorado that I purchased on the forum for a backup bike while not exactly the ideal top tube length for me, works pretty well and rides great so I want to do a custom paint job. I just cannot live with blue and pink! Also the frame is from the 80's and needs attention anyway as it is beginning to show small amounts of surface rust.

I did a forum search but was unable to uncover threads with pictures and an internet search was not that fruitful either. I have black 105 group and black WI hubs so I am thinking I want black paint around the hubs, bottom bracket and brake areas but some combination of red and white everywhere else and not sure about decal color. Any recommendations or pictures would be appreciated or pointing me to some forum threads or internet website galleries. I have tried coloring a frame silhouette that I printed but it is hard to visualize how it will look in real life.

Oh Man! Is this the one I sold you? That bike has a wicked cool paint scheme.

slidey
10-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Are you looking specifically for a B/W/R colour scheme on the Colorado, or on just any bike so you can take it from there?

bikerboy337
10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
but here's my addition to black/red/white...

my Ted Wojcik...

All black components on this (campy 10s)... dont have any good build photos right now...

EricEstlund
10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
A couple of non-standard black and red combos here (http://www.winterbicycles.com/gallery/bicycles/road-bicycles/fixed-road) and here (http://www.winterbicycles.com/gallery/bicycles/road-bicycles/mix-n-max).

dekindy
10-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Oh Man! Is this the one I sold you? That bike has a wicked cool paint scheme.

Yes, I do get a lot of nice compliments on it. However it is not for me. I would have to buy a new wardrobe from head to toe to be color coordinated. I have also been advised not to remove the racing tag peg but it has got to go. Also am going to inquire if he can add internal rear brake cable routing.

dekindy
10-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Are you looking specifically for a B/W/R colour scheme on the Colorado, or on just any bike so you can take it from there?

Had not thought of that but you are right in that many folks want to restore to an authentic color scheme. However for me any bike will do.

4Rings6Stars
10-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, I do get a lot of nice compliments on it. However it is not for me. I would have to buy a new wardrobe from head to toe to be color coordinated. I have also been advised not to remove the racing tag peg but it has got to go. Also am going to inquire if he can add internal rear brake cable routing.

Doesn't fit you, you don't like the paint, the brazeons need to be changed...

Perhaps you should sell it and buy a Colorado that fits and needs work? It's your bike and I have no problem with you doing whatever you want to it, hell you could remove all the brazeons and add track dropouts if you wanted, it just seems like you're doing an awful lot of work to a bike that doesn't fit you properly to begin with and would probably have good resale value as it sits.

sc53
10-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I love this Kirk (http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/2012/09/10/built-and-ready-to-race/) but the paint scheme may be proprietary! It's Dave's own cross bike. I have admired that paint scheme since Climb first posted a link to this bike. Wow! Framebuilder and artist extraordinaire.

4Rings6Stars
10-16-2012, 02:35 PM
I love this Kirk (http://www.kirkframeworks.com/blog/2012/09/10/built-and-ready-to-race/) but the paint scheme may be proprietary! It's Dave's own cross bike. I have admired that paint scheme since Climb first posted a link to this bike. Wow! Framebuilder and artist extraordinaire.

Agree, that is one of the nicest bikes I've ever seen. Only one change I would make would be EPS...

dekindy
10-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Doesn't fit you, you don't like the paint, the brazeons need to be changed...

Perhaps you should sell it and buy a Colorado that fits and needs work? It's your bike and I have no problem with you doing whatever you want to it, hell you could remove all the brazeons and add track dropouts if you wanted, it just seems like you're doing an awful lot of work to a bike that doesn't fit you properly to begin with and would probably have good resale value as it sits.

Thought about that but I have put all the money into a backup bike that I want to. Craig Ryan of Foresta Frames is a riding buddy and will do paint it for a good price and it will be unique and I also trust him to get into as close a tolerance as possible. Nobody is going to give me a lot of money for a 1980's Serotta Colorado that has to be repainted to keep it from rusting away.

dekindy
10-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Rode it again last night and still interested in repainting.

merlincustom1
10-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Are you definitely sold on b/w/r? That's a very common color combo among many stock/mass produced bikes. You'll see yourself coming and going.

Rada
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I agree with Merlin. I see that combo every where and think it's played.

eippo1
10-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Also agree with Merlin, I'd ask Forestra's input since so many of his paintjobs have been so great lately. Look at any Specialized frame from the past 3 years and you'll probably see half of what you were thinking with black, white and red.

roydyates
10-17-2012, 01:19 PM
i really liked the black red white scheme on this seven cartesia:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=117648

dekindy
10-17-2012, 01:55 PM
i really liked the black red white scheme on this seven cartesia:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=117648

Great suggestion. After thinking some more about it I was seriously considering something like this. This helps tremendously in visualizing it.

merlincustom1
10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
^^^^
That's nice. Much less white.

rjfr
10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
I photo shopped this bike and set against a number of backgrounds.

The final result was not true to the mock up. The colors are all beautiful individually, but the result has too much white for my eye.

Colors are black (clear coat over carbon), candy apple red and pearl white.

dekindy
10-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I photo shopped this bike and set against a number of backgrounds.

The final result was not true to the mock up. The colors are all beautiful individually, but the result has too much white for my eye.

Colors are black (clear coat over carbon), candy apple red and pearl white.

Keep them coming!

dekindy
10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Got some really nice examples so I thought I would bump it one more time!

godfrey1112000
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Just picked it up from the Painter,

It has been redone OEM, there is one thing missing the little red "S" over the brake housing

the paint job was done by a local Custom Motorcycle shop in Kansas City
The Decals are Tequila Sunrise

dekindy
10-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Just picked it up from the Painter,

It has been redone OEM, there is one thing missing the little red "S" over the brake housing

the paint job was done by a local Custom Motorcycle shop in Kansas City
The Decals are Tequila Sunrise

Very nice! Craig Ryan has 4 frames he is taking this weekend to the popular Hilly Hundred ride in Bloomington, IN. One of them was a white frame and I was considering that as a main color and like the way you also used the red in black in yours so another strong contender for the list. Thaniks.