PDA

View Full Version : Looking for rides next week around Summit, NJ... any ideas?

JayBay
10-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm heading down to Summit, NJ for work next week (10/21-10/26), and I'm trying to decide if it's worth dragging a bike down with me or not. We're at that time of year where there's just not enough light for most regular before/after work rides, so I know I'd need to bring the lights along. I don't really want to wander around by myself down there, but if there are any group rides going out I'd love to get at least one ride in. Either mountain, road, or maybe a night cross race/practice mid-week.

Hey AngryScientist - you're around that area, right? Anything going on that you know about?

Nooch
10-15-2012, 02:30 PM
There's a wednesday or thursday night (changes week to week) cyclocross practice at holster park in clifton, nj -- really fun times.

Summit's about a half hour from me, Saturday morning world championships out of Cyclesport in park ridge could be a good time if you're down for it..

Liberace
10-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Check out this page for rides with Hilltop Bicycles in Summit:

http://www.hilltopbicycles.com/about/rides-pg57.htm

AngryScientist
10-15-2012, 02:51 PM
i second the suggestion for the Hilltop rides. Give them a call ahead of time, they'll set you straight on what's actually going on that week.

As for me, I would love to go for a ride with you, but weekday rides are tough and unpredictable for me, with a crazy work schedule.

i'll PM you with some contact info.

JayBay
10-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll call Hilltop and see if they know of anything. That cross practice in Clifton looks like a good time, I found a thread about it on another forum, but they're really running out of daylight now. I'd love to find a night mountain ride somewhere, not sure what there are for trails in that arear of NJ though.

fiamme red
10-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll call Hilltop and see if they know of anything. That cross practice in Clifton looks like a good time, I found a thread about it on another forum, but they're really running out of daylight now. I'd love to find a night mountain ride somewhere, not sure what there are for trails in that arear of NJ though.Lewis Morris isn't too far, though you'd need to drive there from Summit: http://www.bikekinetix.com/t_nj/nj_county/lewis_morris_cp.php.

harryblack
10-16-2012, 02:10 PM
South Mountain Reservation... technically illegal for mtb rides but frequently done... ask around, be polite (which I'm sure you are) while riding, should be fine... Also lots of stuff in Morris Cty just to west.

I'm not endorsing this ride per se but just so you have sense of geography--

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Around-South-Mountain-Reservation

I'd love to find a night mountain ride somewhere, not sure what there are for trails in that arear of NJ though.

Hank Scorpio
10-16-2012, 02:29 PM
If you are going to be around earlier on Sunday you are welcome to join our group. We leave from scotch plains but we have a member who rides in from summit. Also I could ride up and meet you. We also have a wednesday night mtb ride but you would need lights. I know the hilltop midweek road rides are done for the season but I think they also have a cross practice on wed or thursday night. Lewis morris is really fun and not that technical. Watchung reservation is closer to summit and really fun to ride although technically illegal. Of course I never ride there.

JayBay
10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys!

Hank - I probably won't be gettting there until later on Sunday. But I'd definitely be interested in the Wed night mountain ride! Lights I have. PM me with the details!

MadeinGermany
10-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Check out the Freewheelers as well here
http://www.mafw.org/

If their schedule does not work for you, Mapquest a ride out to Cocoluxe in Gladstone for a great coffee and croissant and head back via Lake Road. Very pretty this time of the year.

Hank Scorpio
10-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Lake Road is looking great this time of year and will only get better in the next week or so. We just rode it this past weekend.

MadeinGermany did you ever see the "Gone with the Wind" house? It is on top of Pennbrook Road near the lake. There is also a Frank Lloyd Wright house not too far away in Jockey Hollow.

AngryScientist
10-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Hmmm, lake road where? Do i sense a forum ride coming?

Hank Scorpio
10-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Lake road runs along ravine lake in bernardsville. It is a nice road to ride but maybe only 2-3 miles long. There are quite a few hills in the area Campbell is on the far side of lake road and is somewhat challenging and you can turn up pennbrook on the way out to 202 has a "stepped" climb.

JayBay
10-23-2012, 08:19 AM
So... is anybody up for a either night ride tonight, or Thursday, or 6am ish ride the next few days, in one of these fine areas of questionable legality? My lights are charged, I just need a tour guide!

Nooch
10-23-2012, 08:42 AM
So... is anybody up for a either night ride tonight, or Thursday, or 6am ish ride the next few days, in one of these fine areas of questionable legality? My lights are charged, I just need a tour guide!

It's funny, my sister just moved to Summit this weekend.. My first time there -- looks nice, and saw a bunch of cyclists on Summit ave.

Sent a PM to Angry to see if he had any ideas how to get from where I'm at to Summit, but no response! (he must have gotten tired of me begging him for his legend...)

Unfortunately I went back to work this week, so I won't be able to join you unless you'll be around this weekend.

JayBay
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Unfortunately I'll be heading back Friday afternoon. If all goes well I'll be catching a mountain bike ride tomorrow night and a road ride early Thursday morning. The roads around here look fantastic, lots of great terrain, rolling hills, and it's very pretty with all the late fall foliage. Now if only it will stop raining...