PDA

View Full Version : Sidi Ergo 1 vs DMT - help me!

OttrottAZ
10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Please help me out - has anyone compared Sidi's Ergo 1 carbon shoe with DMT Flash or the more affordable Ultimax RSX shoes. My feet are narrow and I have used Sidi Energy's in the past. Currently riding Shimano R215 carbons, I like the stiffnes of carbon but the uppers hurt my feet. Need to try a different shoe.

93legendti
10-11-2005, 11:23 PM
I have 2005 Sidi Carbon Genius 5's and DMT Kyomas. The Sidis are a bit stiffer. The uppers of the 2 shoes definitely cross the foot in different areas.

OttrottAZ
10-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Do you take the same size in Sidi and DMT, I've heard the DMT's run a little larger?

93legendti
10-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Mine are the same size--44's. I tried 43.5's in the DMT's and they felt too tight. The DMT's feel larger/wider, but more like 1/4 size bigger than the Sidi. it may depend upon your feet. Mine are wide with high arches...

OttrottAZ
10-12-2005, 12:22 AM
thanks legendTi

93legendti
10-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Any time. Good luck!

10-12-2005, 10:35 AM
DMT's typically run about a half size smaller than Sidi's. Do note that the Flash is a wider shoe than the Ultimax RSX. I have a narrow foot and would only fit the RSX; and I'd say that for a narrow foot it has more sizing flexibility and adjustment range than the Flash.

The trick about the DMT, as various people have pointed out, is that the top ratcheted strap pulls backwards rather than downwards (as on Sidi's). The strap is integrated into the massive heel cup, and pulls your heel back into the heel very effectively. This locks your foot into the shoe nicely, and if you want an extra half size in the forefoot for extra toe room, you can get away with it. Don't be surprised to find that two adjacent half sizes (or even three) will fit you well, although with a different style of fit in the forefoot. You will presumably prefer one of the fits (e.g., bigger if you have forefoot problems like bunions, smaller if you have high arches), so definitely try out adjacent sizes. It pays off with this shoe. And by the way, the Ultimax and Flash are based on a carbon sole that is significantly stiffer than any of the Sidi's. There's a reason why a large number of track sprinters use Ultimax's.

Oh, one last point. Sidi's tend to have a bend in the sole right under the ball of the foot, making them look as if you're walking up on your toes. Some people like it, some hate it. DMT's have a nearly perfectly flat sole front to rear. It's better for orthotics and allows for better ankling since your foot isn't already partially extended as on the Sidi's, but you may just like the Sidi feel. Do bear that in mind as well. It's probably part of what causes the extra half size difference in Sidi sizing relative to DMT's.

Climb01742
10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
i wear shimano r215s and have tried sidi's in the past and recently. i like the stiffness of the shimano sole. i found the sidi's, even with their carbon soles, to be noticeably less stiff. if you like the shimano sole, you may be disappointed in the sidi's. in part inspired by 11.4's recommendation, i'm getting a pair of DMTs, hoping that their upper will be more comfortable than shimano's. shimano...great sole...not so great upper.

OttrottAZ
10-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks again everyone - 11.4 especially thoughtful advice!