PDA

View Full Version : Lance's Legacy

djg21
10-14-2012, 05:24 PM
It didn't even take that long!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9abka0HKF1qgexfzo1_500.jpg
Lance's quotation being removed from the wall of the Olympic Training Center.

Good riddance.

For purposes of attribution, this photo appears on the website: http://thecyclingkit.tumblr.com/post/30135172569/current-picture-from-the-us-olympic-training

gianni
10-14-2012, 05:33 PM
I love it!

Rueda Tropical
10-14-2012, 06:36 PM
He'll be remembered in the same way these guys are remembered:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Eight_men_banned.png

dancinkozmo
10-14-2012, 10:28 PM
...i hear the new quotation will be "dopers suck" by anonymous

oldpotatoe
10-15-2012, 08:15 AM
It didn't even take that long!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9abka0HKF1qgexfzo1_500.jpg
Lance's quotation being removed from the wall of the Olympic Training Center.

Good riddance.

For purposes of attribution, this photo appears on the website: http://thecyclingkit.tumblr.com/post/30135172569/current-picture-from-the-us-olympic-training

Surprised they didn't do this after hours...

Local bike shop owner is trying to decide if he should sell Hincape clothes, D's Nutz, etc...

FlashUNC
10-15-2012, 08:24 AM
He'll be remembered in the same way these guys are remembered:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Eight_men_banned.png

Shoeless Joe's inclusion in that whole thing was a little absurd. Tough to argue he threw the series when he was setting records at the plate.

jr59
10-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Local bike shop owner is trying to decide if he should sell Hincape clothes, D's Nutz, etc...

After hours would not have been a photo op!

Are these shops also thinking of not selling Eddy Merckx bikes as well?

This whole thing is silly. Whoever thought LA didn't dope, should move to Egypt. They can be the king of de nile! :)

But it makes good/bad press!

ctcyclistbob
10-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Shoeless Joe's inclusion in that whole thing was a little absurd. Tough to argue he threw the series when he was setting records at the plate.

Shoeless Joe is still playing ball in an Iowa cornfield. Not sure if Lance will ever be forgiven though ...

djg21
10-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Can the LBS sell the Hincape clothes, D's Nutz, etc. at the regular markup? Will retail customers still purchase them? (I've not heard of any boycotts). If so, why stand on principal? It's not like the shop could be construed as facilitating or in any way condoning drug use. Maybe skip the "LiveStrong" branded stuff though?

Ray
10-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Reminds me of the Paterno statue coming down at Penn State. Sad, but appropriate.

-Ray

jimcav
10-15-2012, 11:27 AM

If so, it would be impossible to say if his performance was max or not then? Best case he played 100%, and then just cheated the cheat effort. But also possible he was good enough that he gave it 80% and still was better than the rest?

Thread drift, sorry, it took Pete Rose 15 years to publicly come clean, so I look for the Lance book, "It REALLY was NOT about the bike" in 2027

djg21
10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
"It REALLY was NOT about the bike"

Too bad you cannot copyright a book title!

FlashUNC
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
If so, it would be impossible to say if his performance was max or not then? Best case he played 100%, and then just cheated the cheat effort. But also possible he was good enough that he gave it 80% and still was better than the rest?

Thread drift, sorry, it took Pete Rose 15 years to publicly come clean, so I look for the Lance book, "It REALLY was NOT about the bike" in 2027

I know there's quite a bit of debate about whether or not he actually took the money. Some of the co-conspirators alleged after the fact he was never part of the scheme.

Either way you slice it, an illiterate, uneducated -- but astoundingly gifted -- ballplayer was taken advantage of.
Question is whether it was the mob who fixed the Series, or the league who barred him after the fact.

bicycletricycle
10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
i think that it would be appropriate to remember him as the best cyclist of his era.

Elefantino
10-15-2012, 11:36 AM
i think that it would be appropriate to remember him as the best cyclist of his era.

Vientomas
10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
i think that it would be appropriate to remember him as the best doper of his era.

My take.

rugbysecondrow
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
there is something to be said for not wanting to know how or see how the sausage is made, just call me when it is served on the table.

Behind cycling, boxing, MMA, baseball, football...pretty much any sport, there is a side we don't want to see. PEDs, gambling, disreputable business managers, whores, drugs, debilitating injuries, death...they are all part of sports, the part of sports most people don't want to see.

Is the PED side of cycling worse than the others or the fact that Lance is embroiled in it? No. That doesn't mean it isn't bad or an evil of the sport, but it is greater than one man, is the underbelly of the beast.

Lances legacy linked to the legacy of the sport, tainted.

ctcyclistbob
10-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Another agreement here ... and a question:
When Lance won the Worlds in 1993 was he thought to be using? I haven't heard anything from that far back.

jimcav
10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
When Lance won the Worlds in 1993 was he thought to be using? I haven't heard anything from that far back.

not sure anyone knows this unless those from pre-TdF start coming forward--why would they (apart from love of the sport etc--folks with true knowledge would likely be invovled)

jr59
10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
there is something to be said for not wanting to know how or see how the sausage is made, just call me when it is served on the table.

Behind cycling, boxing, MMA, baseball, football...pretty much any sport, there is a side we don't want to see. PEDs, gambling, disreputable business managers, whores, drugs, debilitating injuries, death...they are all part of sports, the part of sports most people don't want to see.

Is the PED side of cycling worse than the others or the fact that Lance is embroiled in it? No. That doesn't mean it isn't bad or an evil of the sport, but it is greater than one man, is the underbelly of the beast.

Lances legacy linked to the legacy of the sport, tainted.

+1

Overall I'm not sure what to think over this outcry.
Did we really think LA was clean? I mean we all hoped he was,
and he tested clean, but in the darkest part of the night, deep in your heart, did you honestly think when all others that were a step down on the podium tested positive, LA was clean?
That his training was that far better than all others? Even though they were on the juice? NO WAY in heck I thought that!

Just like Barry Bonds, he was clean too.

He may have been better at testing clean, but he was also a lot better at ridding his bike than the rest!

CunegoFan
10-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Armstrong doped as a teenager. By the time he won the WC what he did with Crawford then Carmichael was years in the past and he was on to even better junk.