PDA

View Full Version : good options coming: cycling in N. Spain or N part of Portugal?

eddief
10-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I know these are big geographic areas, but I may have the opportunity to do a tour in either Portugal - The Minho and The Alentejo regions OR N. Spain starting in Bilbao. I have done one trip to S. Spain and loved the whole damn thing. But have no clue about these two trip options and wondering if anyone has any info that might help in deciding. I am doing research, but thought I'd try to tap the vast knowledge base always available from your brilliances.

ultraman6970
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
1st thing, learn some spanish if you dont know already. French could help too because spaniars arent likely to like americans not american english. (politics crap)

Will sound stupid but get a canadian flag and put in your back pack too.

holliscx
10-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Are you doing a tour with a group or planning something on your own?

I rode across northern Spain this past summer and posted this ride report across the hall:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/iberian-solo-tour-1200-km-6-days-28547.html

This summer I'm planning to ride trans-Pyrenees from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

Look up the Camino de Santiago if off-road interests you; St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela or Pamplona to Santiago make for a lovely, if challenging ride.

Portugal is quite nice. There is also a Camino de Santiago that runs through Portugal and any road to Santiago de Compostela will be enjoyable.

In northern Spain you could also consider the Picos de Europa and tour around Asturias and Cantabria which would also be great for food such as cider and local cheese.

Louis
10-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I rode across northern Spain this past summer

And did folks dislike you because of your nationality?

ultraman6970
10-14-2012, 02:56 PM
YOu guys should consider the famous quebrantahuesos 2013.

holliscx
10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
And did folks dislike you because of your nationality?

Only if I lied and said I was French

eddief
10-14-2012, 04:06 PM
I am sure both trips would be great, just trying to learn more to make a more informed decision.

Are you doing a tour with a group or planning something on your own?

I rode across northern Spain this past summer and posted this ride report across the hall:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/iberian-solo-tour-1200-km-6-days-28547.html

This summer I'm planning to ride trans-Pyrenees from Barcelona to San Sebastian.

Look up the Camino de Santiago if off-road interests you; St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela or Pamplona to Santiago make for a lovely, if challenging ride.

Portugal is quite nice. There is also a Camino de Santiago that runs through Portugal and any road to Santiago de Compostela will be enjoyable.

In northern Spain you could also consider the Picos de Europa and tour around Asturias and Cantabria which would also be great for food such as cider and local cheese.