PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

evo111@comcast.net
10-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Loaded question with probably a ton of opinions. Not asking for specific model recommendations but more the thought about the about the quality of parts and build, durability, ride and performance of the various major players, HED, Enve, Zipp, Lightweight, etc. Please share your experiences. Thanks

false_Aest
10-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I've had great great great experiences with Bontrager and Hed.

Hed has had fantastic, prompt customer service--tech guy ran me through how to tear down a hub and install new bearings while I was on the phone with him.
Bontrager areolas ride very very very nicely. I'd have no hesitation about buying a set if I were in the market for a new set of carbon hoops.

and

while jr59, below, doesn't exactly deal with your post, he's got a point. my go-to wheels are 28H 7700s laced to kinlins. I'm somewhere around 12k miles into riding them and they've only been "touched up" twice for truing.

jr59
10-13-2012, 11:12 PM
For my money, I would rather use hand built wheels.

There is something about having a set built for your type and style of ridding.
Plus being able to have any/most LBS being able to repair them if and when they need it.

Campy/Shimano hubs DA or record and double butted spokes and you got a set that will ride and spin w/o any trouble for years and years.

Louis
10-13-2012, 11:27 PM
for my money, i would rather use hand built wheels.

+1

slidey
10-13-2012, 11:29 PM
It would seem you're looking at high-end, deep-dish wheelsets. If so, I'd recommend DA7900-C24. I've briefly ridden the C24's on a few test rides, and love them...and that's all I need for the kind of riding I do - climbing/rolling tempo.

If for some reason you're looking at an everyday wheelset, my first choice is the DA7801 wheelset...or at least some wheels using 7800/7900 hubs.

Loaded question with probably a ton of opinions. Not asking for specific model recommendations but more the thought about the about the quality of parts and build, durability, ride and performance of the various major players, HED, Enve, Zipp, Lightweight, etc. Please share your experiences. Thanks

Llewellyn
10-14-2012, 04:35 AM

There is something about having a set built for your type and style of ridding.
Plus being able to have any/most LBS being able to repair them if and when they need it.

Campy/Shimano hubs DA or record and double butted spokes and you got a set that will ride and spin w/o any trouble for years and years.

Got to agree with this. I'm loving my Alchemy hubs laced to H Plus Son TB14's. I can't provide numbers to back it up, but the ride is just wonderful.

And most importantly...............they look like the dogs whatsits!! :banana:

There is something really nice and fulfilling about riding wheels that have been built up by an artisan

snowcrash19
10-14-2012, 07:12 AM

Agree'd, wheels are going to very specific to your usage and weight. Outta the box wheels aren't bad if you're getting something that is really geared toward what you want out of them.

No major brand is really that bad. Every brand is going to have pros and cons and there is not one that is "the best." That is why hand building allows you to get what you need.

carlucci1106
10-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Bontrager areolas ride very very very nicely. I'd have no hesitation about buying a set if I were in the market for a new set of carbon hoops.

For some reason when I search for these I'm not getting bike wheels :p

oldpotatoe
10-14-2012, 07:43 AM

Share what you would like the wheels to do, what you are going to use them for, what kind of riding, and you and your riding style.