PDA

View Full Version : New bike, new bars: 26.0 vs 31.8

sjbraun
10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
My new Pegoretti will arrive in Tucson sometime this week. I'll need a new stem and will probably get new bars too. My LBS says 31.8 will be the new standard for handlebars. I don't really have a prefernce one way or the other and I don't think 26.0 stems or bars will become obsolete over night. Given a chance to purchase a stem/bar combination, what would you choose?

On another related note, can anyone recommend a bar with a flattish ramp? I'll be running Campy shifters on this frame. I'd like a pretty flat transition from the bar to the hood. I specifically want to avoid a bar/hood junction that looks like the one in the attached picture.

Thanks for your input

Steve

FATBOY
10-11-2005, 09:01 PM
How are you built and how do you ride? I am all of 160 lbs. and can sprint OK but I can't really find a difference in the two sizes as far as reall handling or comfort. That said, I wanted a bar with flattish tops so a 31.8 setup gave me the most options with carbon bars of that type. I am using a Reynolds bar which has a very flat transition to compliment my Ergo brifters. I likee!

saab2000
10-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Deda Newton.

I have both the 26.0 and the 31.7 size bars/stem. I can feel no difference at all. I must add that my 31.7 bar/stem is attached to a lesser frame and fork than my narrower one. But I think 31.7 is overrated. The world got by fine with the smaller size and computer mounts are harder to find for the bigger size. Nothing wrong with the larger ones, but I don't think there is anything inferior with the smaller ones either.

Regarding the "ramp" you are talking about - I have Record levers on my Deda Newton Deep Drop Round bars. They are excellent bars and have a very nice transition from the bar to the lever, much less than you show in your photograph.

So there.

Argos
10-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I agree with SAAB, the Newton is a great Bar. That or the EC-90 Equipe. I like that one. Congratulations on your new bike.

KevinK
10-11-2005, 09:41 PM
I have the Easton EC90 bars with Campy Record Carbon Levers (non-ergo). It gives an almost completely flat transition. Its super comfortable, and provides great hand positions.

Kevin

http://home.comcast.net/~keiko5/carb_levers.jpg

quattro
10-12-2005, 06:34 AM
sjbraun, what model Pegoretti are you getting? I'm hoping to get a Duende in the near future, let us know, pictures please when it is build, thanks

PsyDoc
10-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Sounds like the LBS is trying to make 31.6 the new standard. I am not sure how "flattish" you want, but the Ritchey WCS bars have been redesigned and are way more comfortable than the older design with that "camelback" hump of an ergo bend.

sjbraun
10-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Two replies in one-
I'm getting a Marcelo. I am very excited about that.

Regarding the new Ritchey bars, which ones are you referring to. I liked everything about the Ritchey Biomax bars that I had a few years back, except fot that stupid camelhump, well described, by the way.

Jeff N.
10-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Just recently switched to a Deda Newton 31/86 (86 degree rise) stem and bar, in 31.7, on my Holland. Nice and stiff. Although 26's will likely be around for a while longer, and are perfectly fine, it does appear they're being phased out slowly but surely. Jeff N.

Birddog
10-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Check out the FSA K Wing bars and also their OS115 stem, nice combo and well suited to Campy. If you liked the Biomax, you'll notice some vague similarities. There is a little bit of back sweep and there is also a built in rise. Well thought out bar IMO.

Birddog

Kurt
10-12-2005, 10:34 AM
most folks just get whatever is popular or cheap, this is the control center where everything happens, when you buy a nice car they never skimp on the wheel, same rule applies here. This is my 215 anatomic in a 46 (44c-c) in a 26.0 – like the newton’s they come in 3 bends – if you go to cbike or another good site they have nice pics of all the styles. FSA and Easton both seem to have pretty swank offerings; I just never change things until they break. My bars are around $50 btw so they fall into the cheap category by today’s standards. Enjoy your new frame.

PsyDoc
10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Check out the following link as they show the redesign of the Ritchey WCS bars. Though it shows the 31.6, the standard 25.8/26.0 are available as well.

http://www.excelsports.com/catalog/23.pdf

Unfortunately, the Biomax bars appear to still have that stupid camelhump.

Ken Robb
10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I like Nitto noodle bars for their very flat ramp which allows a very smooth transition to the hoods plus they "come back" toward me before the curve starts.