PDA

View Full Version : USPS Documentary 2001

jpw
10-13-2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=rRYEz8KqYZE&feature=endscreen

Featuring Lance and Johan.

This is well worth watching from the perspective of what we know now looking at the way it was back then.

tv_vt
10-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I have that DVD. Always liked it. Kinda folksy, more interesting than most race DVDs. But yeah, all that stuff from then is gonna be hard to watch from here on out. My wife and I used to watch Tour DVDs through the winter - a stage or two a night - I'm going to have to get some new ones like this year's Giro. The old ones are going to be painful.

Lovetoclimb
10-13-2012, 05:45 PM
This year's Vuelta is something I could re-watch again and again. Even Le Tour with Sagan providing excitement. Because we all thought at one point he could potentially win the thing !

jr59
10-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Because you know that LA doped, makes it bad?

Isn't it the feeling of most here, that all or most doped?

Not sure I understand this reasoning.

Not trying to flame, just understand.

jpw
10-14-2012, 05:16 AM
A wonderful insight into human psychology. An exposition in human frailties.

Watching it now makes me feel a small measure of sympathy and compassion towards Lance and Johan. One could almost say that they are victims of their inability to temper their need to be the best. It's a character flaw, a dangerous one, for themselves and for everyone else around them. They need help.

If they were to come clean and own up I'd offer them both an amnesty, along with everyone else.

mcteague
10-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Because you know that LA doped, makes it bad?

Isn't it the feeling of most here, that all or most doped?

Not sure I understand this reasoning.

Not trying to flame, just understand.

To me, the main thing I dislike about LA is the bully in him. Sure he doped, lots did. He, however, seems to have really pushed its limits. The real kicker is the way he treated people who spoke the truth. He used everything he had to destroy them. Not just other riders but anyone who dared to say what they saw or heard.

He needs to be dragged into the light along with all the team directors and doctors who are a BIG part of this mess.

Tim

jr59
10-14-2012, 07:59 AM
To me, the main thing I dislike about LA is the bully in him. Sure he doped, lots did. He, however, seems to have really pushed its limits. The real kicker is the way he treated people who spoke the truth. He used everything he had to destroy them. Not just other riders but anyone who dared to say what they saw or heard.

He needs to be dragged into the light along with all the team directors and doctors who are a BIG part of this mess.

Tim

I guess I have been blessed in getting to know many, many BIG time stars in my life. From rock and roll to sports, although not any in cycling. I've met a couple of pro cyclist but not known them. But all in all many A list type people in rock and sports.

I would say they are mostly just a microcosm of human nature. Sure most can be 100% very pleasant for about 15 mins. For the sound bite, or TV shot.
While the truth is FAR, FAR different.
I would say more are like Lance than not. Not saying all, but maybe 65%. I really think it's the way they are wired. Just driven, and a if you are not with me, you are against me attitude. Just like in life. We all know more than a few people like this.

Some of the LA hate that I see now is just backlash from the bubble bursting.
We as the public want to believe the sound bites and think all are stars are great human beings. this just isn't so.

Anyway, back on point; The Nike produced show being talked about on this thread is ok. It's just hype, but that is why it was made. It's entertaining and that's why it was made. That to me has not changed. It's still entertaining, even though I now know LA doped.

I know Eddy Merckx Doped as well, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy A Sunday in Hell.

oldpotatoe
10-14-2012, 08:37 AM
I guess I have been blessed in getting to know many, many BIG time stars in my life. From rock and roll to sports, although not any in cycling. I've met a couple of pro cyclist but not known them. But all in all many A list type people in rock and sports.

I would say they are mostly just a microcosm of human nature. Sure most can be 100% very pleasant for about 15 mins. For the sound bite, or TV shot.
I would say more are like Lance than not. Not saying all, but maybe 65%. I really think it's the way they are wired. Just driven, and a if you are not with me, you are against me attitude. Just like in life. We all know more than a few people like this.

We as the public want to believe the sound bites and think all are stars are great human beings. this just isn't so.

Anyway, back on point; The Nike produced show being talked about on this thread is ok. It's just hype, but that is why it was made. It's entertaining and that's why it was made. That to me has not changed. It's still entertaining, even though I now know LA doped.

I know Eddy Merckx Doped as well, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy A Sunday in Hell.

>Love the opening scene

http://vimeo.com/12660110

wrenches get no love. Brake blocks in the mouth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEPeU-bdxw

Stars and Watercarriers as well.

malcolm
10-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Well said and very true. Most people unless floridly psychotic can hold it together for a short while.
Many folks and I would almost venture most that excel at the very pinnacle of a given enterprise are obsessed and driven to a point average folks cant fathom. They tend to be able to use people until they use them up and discard them very easily and justify it as they were disloyal or betrayed me or whatever. Folks that completely dominate any given area for the most part just are not like the rest of us, no matter the marketing or hype. They become our heros because we see the end result and admire it, not the wake of debris it took to get there.

mcteague
10-14-2012, 12:46 PM

No doubt there are many people like this. I, for one, have disliked LA for a long, long time. Can't remember the exact point but I read several articles, and saw some video, after he won the Worlds and something about him just struck me wrong. Just an arrogant-jerk sort of air about him. Then, over the years, all the stories about how he treats anyone who he thinks has slighted him in the least. Just glad to see it all starting to unravel. Schadenfreude can be fun.

Tim

TPetsch
10-14-2012, 03:40 PM
I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

joev
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Just watched the video, read the posts, and not much is changed...LA is still one of the great champions. Maybe I am not lucky, but most people that I have met who are at the top of their game have a personality that drives them to achieve their goals. Not necessarity "nice", but with something that sets them apart from the rest of us.

Seeing the focus on Lance, makes me wonder about Big Mig, team Mapei, that Domo team at Roubaix, and any other string of successes in the 90's and early 2000's.... Anyone looking into them?

I hope the focus turns to today and what can be done about keeping things clean for the pros and those coming into the sport.

Grant McLean
10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Seeing the focus on Lance, makes me wonder about Big Mig, team Mapei, that Domo team at Roubaix, and any other string of successes in the 90's and early 2000's.... Anyone looking into them?

In 2003 a doping allegation surfaced in which Museeuw was implicated. In January 2007, Museeuw gave a press conference in Kortrijk, revealing that he had "not been completely honest in my last year as a pro, as I wanted to end my career in style", and announcing his resignation from Quickstep Innergetic. On 24 January 2007 Museeuw confessed to these charges.

In December 2008 Museeuw was convicted of doping offences by a Belgian Court.[2] He was sentenced to ten months imprisonment (suspended) and ordered to pay a fine of 2500 Euro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

bicycletricycle
10-14-2012, 11:13 PM
cool video, i tend to forget that, cheat or not, its still a lot of hard work.

ckamp
10-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks for posting the video, its enjoyable.