PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 sp or Alfine IGH

rbtmcardle
10-13-2012, 08:01 AM
For the bedford used as a commuter /fast tourer. A mix of 10 sp Silver Campy bits or those Shimano IGH sit-ups intrigue me as well.

Any experience with IGH long term? Are they clunky? Set it and forget it or finicky? I ride down to 10-15 degrees.. Is cold an issue?

As always thanks in advance

Bob

alancw3
10-13-2012, 10:46 AM
i had a specialized globe with a nexus igh 8 speed that i used as a grocery getter. the shifting was bulletproof. that being said it was somewhat clunky. i kept waiting for it to quiet down as i got more miles on it but it never did. i will say that it shifted flawlessly. i actually rode the bike on several 35 mile jaunts. my understanding is that shimanos' alfine is much smoother than the nexus was. anyway i ended up selling the bike after owning for a year. bottomline as far as maintenance, oil the chain every so often. i always thought that an ultimate grocery getter would be an igh belt drive but then you have to have a split dropout on the drive chain stay to change the belt. everthing is a tradeoff. for a totally commuter bike igh is the way to go imho. i might even say that a rohloff 14 speed would be great but perhaps overkill and very very expensive. oh and the nexus was a set it and forget it system. if you are in FLAT south jersey a igh might suit your purposes

jr59
10-13-2012, 11:03 AM
I bought a Co-Motion here of the forum, with an Alfine.

Shifts very smooth and set it and forget it.
A bit more work when you flat, but not that much more when you get it.

alancw3
10-13-2012, 11:12 AM
flats! good point jr59 that i forgot to mention. much harder to change if you get one out on the road but get some bulletproof tires to complete the commuting package.