PDA

View Full Version : Help with options for Campy Chainrings

Not the Slowest
10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I am a Shimano guy but now I have a bike with Campy components and am a bit unsure of my options if I want to swap out my chainrings.
Currently the Crankset is a 10 speed Centaur Carbon Compact 50/34 and I think 12/25 in the back. This is my first compact as I have managed on standard doubles even on most climbs and find the jump from 50 > 34 > 50 gearing strange to my taste.

Please correct me here. It looks like I can swap the 34 for a Campy Compact 36 and can use the existing 50 in the front.

If I swap the front 50 for say a 48 do I need the 48 to be specific for the 34 or 36 chainring?

FYI, I may manage with the setup as is (50/34) or change to 50/36 or 48/34 or even 48/36. This is all a work in progress by me as I have to find my comfort level and see what I give up. I do however not like the drop from 50 > 34 if I climb and lose momentum as I am not a spinner. Maybe I should and will be in the future.

Thanks

Robert

thwart
10-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I do however not like the drop from 50 > 34 if I climb and lose momentum as I am not a spinner.One of the benefits of Campy's ability (at least in their upper line models) to 'dump' several gears at once is this exact scenario...

With a little practice you'll be able to 'dump' 2, 3 or 4 cogs in back at the same time that you make the shift down in front. Simultaneously, with one smooth move. Seriously cool stuff, and keeps you right on the boil... rather than clicking away like my buds riding the S stuff.

Not the Slowest
10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
One of the benefits of Campy's ability (at least in their upper line models) to 'dump' several gears at once is this exact scenario...

With a little practice you'll be able to 'dump' 2 or 3 cogs in back at the same time that you make the shift down in front. Simultaneously, with one smooth move. Seriously cool stuff, and keeps you right on the boil... rather than clicking away like my buds riding the S stuff.

True, I did notice that. Still learning the thumb shift lever. With my hand deep on the hood
on say a decent I seem to have to pull my hand back to get to the thumb shifter if I want to
Up shift. Again a work in progress but so far so good.

Just wanted to know my options.

nighthawk
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
TA makes rings that are Campy compatible. They have a few different lines that work with 10 spd cranks... Each has a specific BCD (bolt circle diameter), so you'll need to know what that is for the cranks you are using. You'd probably be looking at the Nerius rings.
They have a wide variety of tooth options, but are unfortunately a bit expensive.

malcolm
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
If you've always used the 53/39 and done ok with that, why not just replace the 34 with a 36 and that will help with some of the excessive shifting.

fiamme red
10-12-2012, 12:37 PM
If you've always used the 53/39 and done ok with that, why not just replace the 34 with a 36 and that will help with some of the excessive shifting.You could even replace it with a 38 or 39.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/110.html

nighthawk
10-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Also, I may be wrong, but I think atleast with Campys own chain rings, they have a 50 specific for use with 34, and a 50 specific for 36. Course, the supposed compatibility limitations are sometimes inaccurate... With the compact chain rings, I'm not positive.

nighthawk
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
You could even replace it with a 38 or 39.

I think Campy's compact double is not quite 110. The hidden bolt is outside the circle.

fiamme red
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I think Campy's compact double is not quite 110.If the OP has an alloy square-taper crank, it should be 110mm.

Not the Slowest
10-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Also, I may be wrong, but I think atleast with Campys own chain rings, they have a 50 specific for use with 34, and a 50 specific for 36. Course, the supposed compatibility limitations are sometimes inaccurate... With the compact chain rings, I'm not positive.

I think you are correct and thus my confusion

Not the Slowest
10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
TA makes rings that are Campy compatible. They have a few different lines that work with 10 spd cranks... Each has a specific BCD (bolt circle diameter), so you'll need to know what that is for the cranks you are using. You'd probably be looking at the Nerius rings.
They have a wide variety of tooth options, but are unfortunately a bit expensive.
Thanks, I am not a fan of TA chainrings. I do some Track racing any only hear issues in their quality. All the Campy Rings are pricey.

Not the Slowest
10-12-2012, 12:55 PM
You could even replace it with a 38 or 39.

I think that's for Shimano, not Campy

oldpotatoe
10-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I am a Shimano guy but now I have a bike with Campy components and am a bit unsure of my options if I want to swap out my chainrings.
Currently the Crankset is a 10 speed Centaur Carbon Compact 50/34 and I think 12/25 in the back. This is my first compact as I have managed on standard doubles even on most climbs and find the jump from 50 > 34 > 50 gearing strange to my taste.

Please correct me here. It looks like I can swap the 34 for a Campy Compact 36 and can use the existing 50 in the front.

If I swap the front 50 for say a 48 do I need the 48 to be specific for the 34 or 36 chainring?

FYI, I may manage with the setup as is (50/34) or change to 50/36 or 48/34 or even 48/36. This is all a work in progress by me as I have to find my comfort level and see what I give up. I do however not like the drop from 50 > 34 if I climb and lose momentum as I am not a spinner. Maybe I should and will be in the future.

Thanks

Robert

Yep, add a Campag or TA 36 and any Campag compact bolt diameter 48, like TA..no need to 'match' anything.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Campagnolo Record 34t ring is $90, TA is $55...AND I have sold more than a few TA track specific rings w/o hearing any issues whatsoever. One thing for sure, if a customer is unhappy, you will hear about it.

nighthawk
10-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks, I am not a fan of TA chainrings. I do some Track racing any only hear issues in their quality. All the Campy Rings are pricey.

Huh, I'm surprised to hear that, because I've put a lot of miles on some Zephyr rings and they've held up really well, and I haven't any shifting problems (that weren't my fault :) )

nighthawk
10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Campagnolo Record 34t ring is $90, TA is $55...

That's not too bad, really.

Not the Slowest
10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Campagnolo Record 34t ring is $90, TA is $55...AND I have sold more than a few TA track specific rings w/o hearing any issues whatsoever. One thing for sure, if a customer is unhappy, you will hear about it.

I stand corrected On the TA Rings.

Not the Slowest
10-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Yep, add a Campag or TA 36 and any Campag compact bolt diameter 48, like TA..no need to 'match' anything.

Good to hear, Now to get out and ride this sucker. At least I know my options.

Question.. The TA rings are aluminum, what are the Campy rings say Record for example?

nighthawk
10-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Good to hear, Now to get out and ride this sucker. At least I know my options.

Question.. The TA rings are aluminum, what are the Campy rings say Record for example?

7075 Aluminum

fiamme red
10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Question.. The TA rings are aluminum, what are the Campy rings say Record for example?Aluminum, of course.