PDA

View Full Version : Liquid latex to repair small punctures on tubulars

elcolombiano
10-12-2012, 02:44 AM
What does pouring liquid latex into expensive tubulars that have been punctured do. How much weight does it add and what does it do to the ride quality.

christian
10-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Seals the hole.
Some, depends on amount you pour.
I can't tell a difference.

djg
10-12-2012, 07:19 AM
I would try something like cafe latex or even Vittoria pit stop -- basically latex based, but with a vehicle to take the goo to the hole (cafe latex has a foaming agent). For small punctures either one can work -- saves you the need to repair or replace the tire, which as far as I can tell rides just as it did before.

For a big hole or a torn sidewall and tube . . . not so much.

ultraman6970
10-12-2012, 07:22 AM
The problem i got when i tried tufo sealant like 4 years ago was that for some reason the crap got stuck in one place and then formed like a ball inside, like a soft bubble gum ball. Had to trash the tubular. Never knew well if i did something wrong of the sealant fluid was just too old or something. Never used it again, but im lucky i might have punctures like 1 each 4 years maybe more.

oldpotatoe
10-12-2012, 07:35 AM
What does pouring liquid latex into expensive tubulars that have been punctured do. How much weight does it add and what does it do to the ride quality.

Unknown as to the weight but I put stan's in many customer's tubies, including those with latex tubes, with great success. I have had stan's in my tubies(Conti Sprinters) for over a year w/o any adverse effects..the only 'effect' is that I haven't had a flat for over a year..

FlashUNC
10-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Unknown as to the weight but I put stan's in many customer's tubies, including those with latex tubes, with great success. I have had stan's in my tubies(Conti Sprinters) for over a year w/o any adverse effects..the only 'effect' is that I haven't had a flat for over a year..

Same here. Have Stan's in my Challenge Stradas. Did an unexpected and rather nasty gravel section, came out fine.

redir
10-12-2012, 10:03 AM
The problem i got when i tried tufo sealant like 4 years ago was that for some reason the crap got stuck in one place and then formed like a ball inside, like a soft bubble gum ball. Had to trash the tubular. Never knew well if i did something wrong of the sealant fluid was just too old or something. Never used it again, but im lucky i might have punctures like 1 each 4 years maybe more.

YEah that happens if you store a wheel set over the winter or for any period of time. That's why now I only use Cafe Latex to repair, not for prevention. Also you don't want to store your bike with the wheels rotated so that the valves are on the floor, or lowest point of gravity. Because what happens is your valve is sitting in the puddle and then when you go to air up the tire when you unscrew the pin in the valve some latex comes out and it can get gummy and sticky and even block the airway passage over time.

Been there done all that! But it's still worth it to repair a tubular right on the rim and not have to deal with the traditional method of repair.