PDA

View Full Version : Front page news

rustychisel
10-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Dear Lance,

It is now possible to say without fear of contradiction you have become the best known and most talked about sports person of all time.

Now that USADA has released it's findings in the investigation into doping and the US Postal Professional Cycling Team you have now become the front page splash and lead article for every mainstream publication across the globe. You are a worldwide phenomenon. Bigger than Tiger Woods, more recognisable than Zidane, mightier than any unremarkable baseball player and once idolised by millions more than any freakish basketball player.

In simple terms; it is the unanimous belief of editors and sub-editors that your conduct must be labeled 'THE WORST CASE OF SPORTS DOPING AND SPORTING FRAUD EVER' and that is the story they are publishing.

In truth, you have achieved an immortality which could never have come from simple sporting achievements, even though so many of us celebrated them with you, as we believed in you, through one victory, then two, then three… and to seven.

Your legacy will go down in history, through the ages, as a lesson and reminder of the perils of pride and the danger of hubris. It is not the legacy you would have wanted, nor believed was yours by right, I'm sure.

Sadly, and with regret,

A

false_Aest
10-11-2012, 11:46 PM
brah,

its old boring news

go ride your bike

Louis
10-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Actually, I've been surprised by the prominence this story has received in outlets like the NY Times. I didn't realize that cycling was that big a deal.

It's the story that keeps on giving.

Someone ought to start a pool / poll: Will he ever admit to having done it? Not even on his deathbed? What must it be like to keep all that bottled up inside? Unlike the real kooks out there, I think he's got to be too smart and sane of a guy to delude himself into thinking that he didn't do it.

gone
10-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Will he ever admit to having done it?

Waiting for the right book deal.

Louis
10-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Waiting for the right book deal.

Got find some way to get the dough to pay off all those lawyers.

rwsaunders
10-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Actually, I've been surprised by the prominence this story has received in outlets like the NY Times. I didn't realize that cycling was that big a deal.

Louis...you're correct that cycling is not that big of a deal to the masses...LA is a brand that they all recognize, though, which generates the interest.

Elefantino
10-12-2012, 06:16 AM
NOW who will play Lance in the movie?

Seriously. What a great screenplay this would make.

One man. Two lives. Many women, all of whom look like his mom.

All the cycling would be shot in grand, vivid color. I'm thinking Ang Lee. With music by John Williams.

All the doping could be shot in shaky, dark violence. I'm thinking Paul Greengrass. With music by Lalo Schifrin.

I'll get right on it.

sc53
10-12-2012, 06:30 AM

It's the story that keeps on giving.

Someone ought to start a pool / poll: Will he ever admit to having done it? Not even on his deathbed? What must it be like to keep all that bottled up inside? Unlike the real kooks out there, I think he's got to be too smart and sane of a guy to delude himself into thinking that he didn't do it.
Louis, did you hear/read the "statement" that Jerry Sandusky made from prison right before his sentencing? Some people are so deluded they actually sincerely believe their own lies. There's a psychiatric term for this, but I forget what it is.

Germany_chris
10-12-2012, 06:33 AM
And he'll die with more money than any athlete, his speaking fee will rise and he'll be as popular as ever..

Vientomas
10-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Is that the true measure of a man, money and fame?

Germany_chris
10-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Is that the true measure of a man, money and fame?

He appears to be measuring it that way.

sg8357
10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
And he'll die with more money than any athlete, his speaking fee will rise and he'll be as popular as ever..

Maybe not as much money as Tiger, but you got it right.

Bill Clinton is a revered figure these days, so Lance, hang in there.
Nixon is looking pretty damm good these days too.

CunegoFan
10-12-2012, 11:13 AM

He has backed himself into a corner. The smart thing to do would be to make some sort of weak mea culpa, but he cannot admit without risking criminal charges. There are also several potential civil suits. Landis' qui tam suit is currently under seal. That would be 3 x $30M. He took hundreds of thousands of dollars from The Times with a bogus defamation suit. He took $7.5M from SCA. In the deposition for that arbitration he repeatedly lied about his drug use, his relation with Ferrari, etc.

Those risks will evaporate in a few years, but his reputation will be mud before then. He is such a media whore that at some point he will attempt a redemption tour.

Currently he is talking about setting up a series of endurance events.

gdw
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
"It is now possible to say without fear of contradiction you have become the best known and most talked about sports person of all time."

BS. This is a human interest story first, sports story second. The sheeple will move on to the next big thing shortly. In 10 years the average person will struggle to recall his name.

djg21
10-12-2012, 12:32 PM
"It is now possible to say without fear of contradiction you have become the best known and most talked about sports person of all time."

BS. This is a human interest story first, sports story second. The sheeple will move on to the next big thing shortly. In 10 years the average person will struggle to recall his name.

I want to see a tell-all book from Sheryl Crow. Maybe she can discuss the drug use of Pharmstrong and Kid Rock in the same publication? Boy does she have awful taste in men.

hairytorus
10-12-2012, 03:49 PM
One benefit to them all using is we get to see the real limits of human performance. The line between competing and cheating is purely logical and can be set anywhere.

thwart
10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
In 10 years the average person will struggle to recall his name.
This, I suspect, is really his greatest fear.