PDA

View Full Version : Computrainer Spinscan HELP!

Dekonick
02-25-2004, 02:16 PM
OK - I am new to using a computrainer - but I notice that with the spinscan I have some dead zones if you will. What I am looking for (and have not found anywhere) is pictures of what a 'good' spinscan should look like; both for the bar graph version, and the 'top down' view (looks like an airplane prop when mashing, but I have yet to get it to be a circle) does anyone have some gif's they can email me? or a link to a webiste with some?

my email is serottacsi2000@yahoo.com

any help is appreciated!

Hopefully with the help of the computrainer Ill improve and be better able to hang with the group...

Cheers!:beer:

Mike G.

keno
02-25-2004, 04:23 PM
The most efficient stroke, in spinscan terms, would be to have all of the vertical bars be at the same level for each leg. That would give a 100 spinscan efficiency at 50/50 power output between legs. It would also give an exact circle in the top view, as you call it. That would be the equivalent of an electric motor putting out the same power at each degree of the rotor's circle.

In order to get your efficiency numbers up try focusing more on the upstroke. It requires using the psoas muscle to pull up and over on the upstroke and see more power at the ends of the bar graph, which is where I would expect your output is low. Single leg exercising in 52/12 or a tough gear you can handle will help you to learn to develop that range of your stroke. I think that the PowerCranks and RotoCranks are devices that are demanding that the upstroke be developed. In most riders, including elite riders, the upstroke actually creates a drag against the driving leg.

There is no definitive word on what the ideal spinscan stroke should look like when translated to the real world. A sprinter would certainly have poor numbers as would a masher compared with a spinner. If you are a spinner, higher spinscan numbers are something to be worked for, though.

Working on spinscan has definitely improved my own riding.

keno

Dekonick
02-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the information! - yeah that helps alot. I have been messing around with 1 leg v.s. 2 - on a grade of about 1% (enough to make you do a little bit o work... enough to require pressure - but easy enough to concentrate on the stroke mechanics)

I notice that when I concentrate on 'smoothness' if you will - and pretend the pedals are like eggs, that the bars flatten out. I guess its just foing to be a matter of practice and patience to develop the muscle memory.

Wow - gotta say I LOVE my computrainer (AND HATE it at the same time OUCH!)

again - thanks!:banana:

keno
02-25-2004, 06:02 PM
then you'll start bringing it to the road, and after that, you'll be on the road and getting tired and notice you're still strokin' good.

keno

Too Tall
02-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Keno gets right to it :) Agreed and yes 1 leggers are awesome for balance. It is a good thing to do some high speed spinning before one leggers.

Keno and Dekonick try this for Psoas balancing. This is something I do once or twice almost every ride. You must be confident riding no hands or skip it. Riding at about 80 rpms, no handed and bent at the waist, hands behind you back with your chin as low as you can pedaling hard, smooth accelerate until you can no longer maintain excellent form. What I'm feeling is alternating psoas contractions and thinking that spinal erectors being in a constantly contracted state have isolated psoas really really nicely. Rot's of ruk trying to workout Psoas otherwise unless you are sumacumyogi like dbrk.

keno
02-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Since I will not be able to do it afterwards, you may notice that I will have posted my own obituary on the forum at some time in the future. This will be evidence that I am about to attempt to perform the exercise you have mentioned. In the meantime, I will attempt it on my Computrainer in lieu of certain suicide.

keno

Needs Help
02-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Single leg exercising in 52/12 or a tough gear you can handle will help you to learn to develop that range of your stroke.

I've tried that in the past, but the pressure on my sit bones is excruciating when I try to pedal with one leg.

I think that the PowerCranks and RotoCranks are devices that are demanding that the upstroke be developed. In most riders, including elite riders, the upstroke actually creates a drag against the driving leg.

What are PowerCranks and RotoCranks?

Dekonick
02-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Speaking of sit bones and pain - what do yall do about riding your computrainer and pain? I find I can barely stand the pain using my normal seat - I have to pad it with towels (and make sure they dont get caught in the spokes...). Normal riding doesnt bother me much at all, but I find on the trainer I HURT a whole lot more.

Is this common? (again only been using the computrainer about a month now)

:confused:

Mike

keno
02-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Dekonick,

I have not had your problem. Check to make sure that your bike is level. You might want rotate your seat SLIGHTLY to obtain greater comfort. Also, focus on position so that you are sitting on your bike in the same way as on the road.

Needs Help,

Start with an easier gear and work at about 50 rpm comfortably before moving up gear difficulty.

Each of those products has a website and you might look there. One specifically describes its objective as improving the upstroke and the psoas muscle. One even has an online video which demonstrates it in action (I think Powercranks).

keno

Too Tall
02-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Dekonick, put about 2" of lift under your front tire to compensate for the CT stand. That will level your bike or even raise the front a touch...should help.

Holy Crow, one leggers in a big gear!!! That's gonna leave a mark. I've only ever done these in a fairly medium gear...something like 63-68"

keno
02-27-2004, 07:28 AM
You can use those big ol' 68s or maybe even 90s cause you're Too Tall. For me, they tear up the bottoms of my thighs.

BTW, in some of his Spinervals tapes, Coach Troy has one minute intervals in 52/12 with each leg x 2 as part of warm up with high cadence spins as part of the warm up. This is child's play compared with the ILT (isolated leg training) workout Arnie Baker lays out. I don't go there, as I want to keep my UCF snail license (applied for).

keno