PDA

View Full Version : Is that Brian Smith in Bicycling Magazine?

Bradford
10-11-2005, 10:40 AM
There is a guy on page 28 of the November Bicycling Magazine that looks a lot like Serotta's master brazer Brian Smith. (Bottom picture, stripped shirt).

Come clean, is that what you were doing that day you called in sick?

Bradford
10-11-2005, 10:44 AM
If that isn't enough to get you over your hatred of Bicycling, there is Q&A with Ben about the Meivici and a picture of the head tube.

MikeS
10-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Indeed it is the master himself. He did very well in that race. He is a machine on the bike.

LegendRider
10-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Ask Brian about the "Midnight Criterium."

William
10-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Ask Brian about the "Midnight Criterium."

Brian.
What is the Midnight Criterium?

William ;)

oldguy00
10-11-2005, 12:40 PM
50 bucks says its a criterium that is held at midnight...

William
10-11-2005, 12:42 PM
50 bucks says its a criterium that is held at midnight...

DOH! :crap:

William ;)

Brian Smith
10-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Yes, I do appear in the CMWC start photo in Bicycling. My sharp-eyed girlfriend also identified me in the leg tatoo photo. Fun event, big smile.
Bradford has a sharp eye too.

Midnight criterium?

Well, LegendRider was probably the only first-timer who managed to hang with it. Basically a bunch of bike nuts who were willingly dragged into a event series of very late night of classic cycling and motorsports videos, coffee, posturing, about an hour or more of hot laps on a dimly lit circuit open to traffic very likely to include unlit gravel road descents, spectators hiding in the woods with water balloons, and whatever other random stuff I/we could come up with to make it seem more dramatic. We made it hard for each other and ourselves, and we thought it was fast. Occasional drinking bouts after the race made for some rough Mondays, as if a bunch of coffee and a bike race starting at midnight wasn't recipe enough for that. It was the hardest racing I've done, and among many of those who participated, it's what we think of as our best racing, what we think of as "what it would take to get me riding enough again as to be considered trained-up." Unlike the local group rides, opening people's brakes, dumping shift levers into the 12 (or small ring), involuntary seatpost slings, and such shenanigans were more than permissable. Only one person ever ended up needing a hospital, that was lucky. I guess the threat of injury kept away a lot of fast people, and the speed kept away a lot of people unconcerned about bodily injury (such as the local couriers) and it all made for some good stories and anticipation.

Good memories!

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I THOUGHT that was you, BS! . . . But I didn’t want to expose your private life!

Is a “Midnight Criterium” anything like a Naked Crit? :rolleyes:

BBDave

Bradford
10-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Bradford has a sharp eye too.

I man never forgets his first women or the guy who taught him how to braze! (Brian would be the second).

Brian Smith
10-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I THOUGHT that was you, BS! . . . But I didn’t want to expose your private life!

Is a “Midnight Criterium” anything like a Naked Crit? :rolleyes:

BBDave

This is my private life, right? I don't differrentiate.
Maybe memorable like a Naked Crit, but very differrent!
Good eye.

BumbleBeeDave
10-11-2005, 06:16 PM
<<I man never forgets his first women . . . >>

I think BS is a guy . . . :rolleyes:

BBD