PDA

View Full Version : Seized seatpost

LegendRider
10-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I know this topic has been covered before, but I'm looking to "unstick" a carbon post from a aluminum/carbon frame (C'dale SystemSix). I've read about a bunch of options:

WD-40
PB Blaster
CRC Freeze-off
ammonia

This is for a friend (my bikes are better maintained!) and he doesn't need to salvage the post. Thoughts on the most effective method?

Thanks.

Cat3roadracer
10-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Try a spray called Carbo Move. Specially formulated for this sort of thing.

torquer
10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Different materials, but helpful hints re increased leverage here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=50251&highlight=seatpost

LegendRider
10-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.

cnighbor1
10-11-2012, 04:45 PM
add wd 40
than using pipe wrench try and move sp a bit around its axis
add wd 40
repeat above till it comes loose
a tap on top with a hammer works also

your just try to move so very litte to get wd 40 or over solvent further in
mine took 3 days

add WD 40 from BB with bike up side down also

dave thompson
10-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Some excellent, and considered, info across the hall: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f26/seized-seatpost-removal-tricks-21138.html

old iron rider
10-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I posted this somewhere else, but this is a quick and dirty job for any machine shop. Did a few while I worked in one. The fix is, the seatpost thickness is measured, the seatpost is drilled till its paper thin,{a safety measure}, the remains are quickly picked away. Machinists love extra large drinks to slurp on during the day. Gift cards to restaurants gets your frame to the drill press real fast. How bad do you want to ride this bike ?
It takes more time to set the frame for drilling than the actual drilling, but it's still a 15 minute job. Its a win/win for everyone.:fight::fight::fight:

Louis
10-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Assuming it really works as advertised this sounds like a useful product and the simplest solution. (but not for me, since I don't use CF seatposts)

Maybe your LBS has some.

hairytorus
10-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Try PB Blaster. Apply it daily and try to get the post off with a socket wrench. Try that for a month. If that fails use a 1:1 ratio of acetone and automotive transmission oil. Repeat the PB Blaster process. If that fails, use an acetylene torch to heat the seat post and then cool it down using chilled vodka or salt water (lower temps). Then put the post in a vice and try to apply torque to the frame. If that fails, bore a hole in the post, stick a piece of metal through the hole put pipes on the ends of the metal and apply torque to the pipes. You can find a video of this on youtube. If that fails, sell it to someone with the correct length inseam.

BShow
10-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Try Coka-Cola. It's worked for me in the past with metal corrosion.