PDA

View Full Version : Wonder drug

thwart
10-10-2012, 04:14 PM
No, not EPO or testosterone... or even growth hormone.

This is, for most of us probably, very (very) good news.

The best part of waking up...is reducing your risk of neurodegeneration. And depression, and cancer, and cardiovascular disease... It's becoming increasingly clear that coffee is more than just a morning routine. The body of data suggesting that the world's most widely used stimulant is beneficial in a variety of mental and medical conditions is growing at a staggering rate. A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that coffee consumption lowered all-cause mortality by over 10% at 13-year follow-up.

Tandem Rider
10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
From this it looks like the only way for me to die is to really PO Mrs TR (when will I learn?).

bcm119
10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
That is so annoying. I absolutely love coffee but it gives me nasty heartburn. I had to give it up. I'd do anything to be able to drink it in large quantities again.

tiretrax
10-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Yesterday, I read a headline that coffee can be linked to vision loss. I don't give high regard to articles that make health claims about food (i.e. 18 SUPERFOODS YOU MUST EAT NOW, etc.).

Most things, in moderation, are ok. There aren't too many that one can overindulge.

For the OP whom is bothered by coffee - go see an gastroenterologist.

MattTuck
10-10-2012, 05:55 PM
For 20 years people thought eating eggs was bad because of the cholesterol. Whoops!

Beware stuff like this.

ultraman6970
10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
TO be able to ride faster using coffee pretty much the guy has to eat (not drink) like a a kilogram of pure state coffee :)

Or how it happened years ago in the olympics where an athlete got positive for caffeine, he said he drank a super black coffee that morning for breakfast. The issue was that to get his readings he had to drink like 120 liters (31 gallons for the ones that dont know metric) of cappuccinos that morning. Obviously was banned :D

false_Aest
10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
when reading this stuff
you should wear special glasses
radiation kills.

Orrery
10-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Makes me feel better for the copious ice coffees that have powered my way through grad school.

Frankwurst
10-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Yesterday, I read a headline that coffee can be linked to vision loss.

This is true. But I always put Kahula in mine when I do drink it.:beer:

Don49
10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Yesterday, I read a headline that coffee can be linked to vision loss.

I saw that too and here's a typical report, http://news.menshealth.com/does-coffee-really-make-you-blind/2012/10/09/

I'm going to stay with my roughly 1L of coffee a day and continue with an occasional glaucoma test. It's really my last vice and I can't give it up.

Tandem Rider
10-10-2012, 07:48 PM
TO be able to ride faster using coffee pretty much the guy has to eat (not drink) like a a kilogram of pure state coffee :)

Or how it happened years ago in the olympics where an athlete got positive for caffeine, he said he drank a super black coffee that morning for breakfast. The issue was that to get his readings he had to drink like 120 liters (31 gallons for the ones that dont know metric) of cappuccinos that morning. Obviously was banned :D

You really, I mean really, don't want to know how to get it that high. It wasn't THAT many years ago.

oliver1850
10-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Screwed again. I only like stuff that's bad for me.

froze
10-11-2012, 12:00 AM
I know if I eat, drink, or breath I will eventually die from it.

Ok, now thats out of the way. How many cups of coffee is one to drink every day to get those benefits? I know coffee does some good because before I started drinking home brewed espresso every morning I got about 1 cold per year, I now only get a cold about once every 5 years and haven't had a flu in over 8 years while everyone around me has every year. Of course I have no scientific study to prove what I'm saying. I haven't noticed in change in my eyesight since I started drinking espresso. But I only drink one cup of espresso, ok that's about 4 to 5 shots in the morning and none the rest of they day.

schwa86
10-11-2012, 05:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCeFmn_e2c

tiretrax
10-11-2012, 08:49 AM
I saw that too and here's a typical report, http://news.menshealth.com/does-coffee-really-make-you-blind/2012/10/09/

I'm going to stay with my roughly 1L of coffee a day and continue with an occasional glaucoma test. It's really my last vice and I can't give it up.

My point is that the constant barrage of articles promoting the health benefits or pointing out the risks associated with a certain food are ridiculous. Should one eat a whole egg or just the whites? Should one drink whole milk or skim? They are never ending. Just do it in moderation and enjoy yourself (and, yes, even with Kahluah!).

stephenmarklay
10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
My point is that the constant barrage of articles promoting the health benefits or pointing out the risks associated with a certain food are ridiculous. Should one eat a whole egg or just the whites? Should one drink whole milk or skim? They are never ending. Just do it in moderation and enjoy yourself (and, yes, even with Kahluah!).

I threw up my hands a couple of years ago. So much conflicting information. The big reasons I see are big business backed studies, simply poorly designed studies as well as epidemiological studies that are just outright wrong.

So around here we just try to eat things in as natural state as possible and hope for the best.

I have to go make my morning protein shake with raw eggs and raw milk :)

torquer
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
You really, I mean really, don't want to know how to get it that high. It wasn't THAT many years ago.
I do know (not through personal experience, of course ;)) and it's not that gross. Certainly a good solution to the heartburn/upset tummy problems you'd suffer (not to mention strain on your bladder) if you ingested that much caffeine orally.

focus
10-11-2012, 12:18 PM
That is so annoying. I absolutely love coffee but it gives me nasty heartburn. I had to give it up. I'd do anything to be able to drink it in large quantities again.
Trader Joe's grocery store has an espresso blend (pre-ground) that claims to have 'diminished acidity'. I received it as a gift from a co-worker and found that it that makes a great tasting espresso. Never drink on an empty stomach... perhaps eating eggs would help combat the heartburn?

559Rando
10-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Trader Joe's grocery store has an espresso blend (pre-ground) that claims to have 'diminished acidity'. I received it as a gift from a co-worker and found that it that makes a great tasting espresso. Never drink on an empty stomach... perhaps eating eggs would help combat the heartburn?

And the Trader Joe's Low Acid French Blend is also great. Especially when brewed in a French press. Oui! Oui!

Lewis Moon
10-11-2012, 12:59 PM

omeprazole.

pavel
10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
dmso?

froze
10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Most places sell coffee that even states it has low acidity. If you like espresso the AeroPress actually does make great tasting espresso with lower acidity then regular espresso makers if you don't let it steep to long or it will allow more oil to mix into the coffee like French Presses will which some people like though, and reducing acidity reduced flavor. Probably the best readily to find low acid coffee is Trader Joe's Low Acid Coffee, there are better ones but can mostly be found only by mail order. And if you really want to get technical the best way to get low acid coffee is to buy raw green beans of the Brazil, India, or Sumatra variety and roast it to a dark roast...but most of us aren't going to fool with all of that, or least I'm not!

focus
10-11-2012, 02:36 PM
the AeroPress actually does make great tasting espresso with lower acidity then regular espresso makers...

+1 for the AeroPress

bookit
10-11-2012, 02:37 PM
i love coffee, dont love the news articles coming out every other week first claiming its health benefits then claiming its negatives.

froze
10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
i love coffee, dont love the news articles coming out every other week first claiming its health benefits then claiming its negatives.

They do this crap all the time, I remember when they were attacking Aspirin...ASPIRIN! They do this with food and other products all the time, some of it is legit and others are not.

93legendti
10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
No, not EPO or testosterone... or even growth hormone.

This is, for most of us probably, very (very) good news.

The best part of waking up...is reducing your risk of neurodegeneration. And depression, and cancer, and cardiovascular disease... It's becoming increasingly clear that coffee is more than just a morning routine. The body of data suggesting that the world's most widely used stimulant is beneficial in a variety of mental and medical conditions is growing at a staggering rate. A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that coffee consumption lowered all-cause mortality by over 10% at 13-year follow-up.

I saw a reference to that on line...two cups, right? Is it specifically coffee, or all caffeine?

Tandem Rider
10-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I do know (not through personal experience, of course ;)) and it's not that gross. Certainly a good solution to the heartburn/upset tummy problems you'd suffer (not to mention strain on your bladder) if you ingested that much caffeine orally.

I think we all tried the nodoz boost a few times, there ain't no heartburn/upset tummy problems with not injesting it orally:rolleyes: so I've been told, no personal experience though.

thwart
10-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I saw a reference to that on line...two cups, right? Is it specifically coffee, or all caffeine?

Think it's coffee here... there may be other sources of caffeine that are similarly beneficial but haven't been as extensively studied.

And, yeah, moderate consumption...

Which for some of us might be 5 espressos... :rolleyes: