PDA

View Full Version : Another Brooks Question

TT Tandem
10-10-2012, 08:50 AM
When I was talking to one of the fellows at the LBS about Brooks saddles. HE suggested getting the pre-aged B17.
Any merit to considering one? I noticed that the pics show it to have a "textured" top surface.

Ahneida Ride
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
N0 !

get the regular Brooks and save some frns.
Break it in to your posterior

Ken Robb
10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
For me the regular Brooks are comfy right out of the box so I wouldn't pay extra for one that was pre-softened. I wonder what effect the treatment has on durability and comfort.

Since a B-17 and a Pro fit me so well the indentations that develop after I ride on them for a while are very slight compared to those I have seen on other riders' saddles. I guess this is because my weight is distributed quite evenly over a large area of the saddle so there are no areas of high pressure making my butt sore and the saddle dented.

I suggest you try a regular Brooks and see how it feels. If you want to soften it up later the net is full of techniques (not approved by Brooks) on how to soften saddles.

yngpunk
10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Brooks B-17 "Pre-aged" leather Saddles are easier to break in and feature skirt laces to ensure further adjustability.
Pre-Aged leather for easier break in and unique appearance
More comfort from day one

A quick search shows price difference between pre-aged and "regular" is about $6 more for the pre-aged.

Other downside of the pre-aged is color selection...haven't seen them availbale in other than brown and dark tan.

jr59
10-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Really it's up to you and your rear.

Seeing as you are not sure, I would suggest buying your saddle thru;

http://www.wallbike.com/warranty-and-other-information

Wall bike has a great return policy. True they are a bit higher than other places, but the other places won't allow you to ride the saddle a month or 2 or 6 for that matter!

I would buy the orginal B-17 and let my butt wear it in. But it's my butt and my saddle. You and yours need to make this choice.

Germany_chris
10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
The pre aged are raised a bit near your stuff..it's ok sorta if your bars are saddle height or higher if not they can be a bit uncomfortable. I've had on for 2 years and it's still not comfortable but is livable.

palincss
10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
For me the regular Brooks are comfy right out of the box so I wouldn't pay extra for one that was pre-softened. I wonder what effect the treatment has on durability and comfort.

One of the guys in a bike club I belong to got one. He was going on RAGBRAI and was afraid of a break-in period. He was pleased with the saddle during the ride, but I noticed a couple of months later the saddle had sagged so much he needed to lace the sides. He's still happy.

I wouldn't have been. Like you, for me the B.17 is comfortable right out of the box: good for 100km when brand new, good for centuries after maybe 100 miles. Sagged out saddles are not comfortable for me.

Since a B-17 and a Pro fit me so well the indentations that develop after I ride on them for a while are very slight compared to those I have seen on other riders' saddles. I guess this is because my weight is distributed quite evenly over a large area of the saddle so there are no areas of high pressure making my butt sore and the saddle dented.

I suggest you try a regular Brooks and see how it feels. If you want to soften it up later the net is full of techniques (not approved by Brooks) on how to soften saddles.

I entirely agree with this recommendation.

TT Tandem
10-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks!

EricEstlund
10-10-2012, 04:00 PM
My understanding is that they are actually different cuts of leather. The B17 will wear better (or at least longer).

ahsere
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM
In my limited experience, the Pro was comfortable out of the box, I did a 120 mile ride two weeks after I got it with no discomfort whatsoever. The Swallow, Iīve got a tougher timer breaking it in, but no terrible either. And I would not buy a pre-aged one, they seem superfluous to me, but other people may disagree.

Frankwurst
10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
My experience is B17's are easy to break in and do indeed get a little saggy but heh tighten the tension bolt, no biggy. B17 Champion Specials require more time for break in an the sag is minimal. I have a Champion Special that has I don't know how many thousands of miles on it and have never tightened it up. It's seen rain,snow,heat and my fat a$$ and fits like a glove. Probably one of the few things I own that I wouldn't sell.:beer:

chevron
10-10-2012, 09:29 PM
wow Perfect timing , am happy to hear that , I was planning on getting one next week !

Don49
10-10-2012, 10:57 PM
I agree about the Pro. I put one on my touring bike and took off for a 1000 mile ride the length of Baja. The saddle was comfortable from the beginning and didn't seem to go through a break-in phase.

old iron rider
10-11-2012, 02:09 AM
:bike:I started reading this thread, and had to go look on the bike to see if the saddle was pre-softened. My light tanned Pro is pre softened, and I wouldn't trade it for any other. I got mine from a bike shop closing its doors, and it happened to be the last one. I partially built a bike, and it sat on that bike unused for a couple of years. I got tired of looking at my money not being used, and put it on my morning bike. {8-15mi weekdays}. Positively no issues with the saddle. I have not done anything to this saddle. I have no plans to make it softer. Way back in my youth, I used to try and make my Brooks saddles softer. They would soften all right. To the point of sagging.
If anything, I would like this saddle to stay just the way it is. Smooth, firm, and keep that classic Brooks saddle look.
IMO, when a leather saddle starts sagging to the point of where you can feel the seatpost on bumps, it's almost too far gone. Too many riders let that soft comfy feeling get out of hand.
Also, IMO, some people and Brooks saddles do not get along. They are not for everyone,as is the current crop of look great but are a pain in the ass saddles, made by other companies. You have to find the right one.:fight:

Gat64
10-11-2012, 05:45 AM
I have two Team Pros. One needed no break-in at all and the other took a little bit of time (but is sublime now). So it seems there are variations within models as well. In a weird way, I was a teensy bit disappointed with my first having no break-in period. I guess I envisioned myself telling tales at the cafe on the ride break about how many kms it took took break-in...

savine
10-11-2012, 05:46 AM
the b-17 is a fantastic saddle and in my opinion donīt need much time to break in, i found it took longer with my pro sadedle to get comfy though neither gave as much stress as people always say you get from brooks saddles breaking in.

hairytorus
10-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I've been riding Brooks for about 10 years I and have experience with the Pro and the standard B17. I would suggest just sticking with the standard B17 and that there is no need to buy one pre-aged. It doesn't take long at all to break them in, and they're not that uncomfortable to start with. Also for what it's worth, I found that the copper rivets shredded my jeans faster than the stainless ones.