PDA

View Full Version : Logo removal

saab2000
10-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I am enjoying my Pacenti and have recently installed a 3T stem, which is really stiff and I like it. But the graphics don't match the understated nature of the frame finishing and I'd like to remove it all.

I have heard that acetone will do the trick. Has anyone tried this? How hard is it? Just apply some to a rag and rub the offending paint off?

Tricks? Tips? I like logos and all, but subtle and nuanced is how I like them and the 3T stems, for all their qualities, are too loud in that dept.

thegunner
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
acetone does work, just put on a rag and rub with some force -- presto :)

EnginCycle
10-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Acetone evaporates in seconds. Keep applying and it will saturate the paint and come off.

eddief
10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
as I recall.

nighthawk
10-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Is this the same for removing decals from Ti (such as a Moots seatpost?)

tuscanyswe
10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Is this the same for removing decals from Ti (such as a Moots seatpost?)

You could use it for ti but imo you dont need it on a moots post. Its just a small sticker. Dull knife / scotch brite will do the trick. If anything i have trouble getting my moots decals to stick.

This is a 3t bar thats just acetoned and rubbed with a cloth.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6050/6349894043_536016560b_b.jpg

EnginCycle
10-09-2012, 03:55 PM
as I recall.

scotch brite (especially green) will scratch the part. If anything stick it in a ultrasonic cleaner in acetone and it will be gone.

Moots seat post is a sticker and takes a lot of acetone to saturate the sticker. It will eventually come off but as I said. The stuff evaporates really fast. Stick it in a bottle and soak it for a while.

Since it has not been said this stuff is nasty on the liver so wear some nitrile gloves and safety glasses. Respirator is optional but the fumes are nasty if you are not use to them.

-Drew

saab2000
10-09-2012, 09:34 PM
You could use it for ti but imo you dont need it on a moots post. Its just a small sticker. Dull knife / scotch brite will do the trick. If anything i have trouble getting my moots decals to stick.

This is a 3t bar thats just acetoned and rubbed with a cloth.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6050/6349894043_536016560b_b.jpg

That bar looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

BTW, that bike appears dangerous. As per the normal procedures, I do testing of dangerous equipment that appears to be my size. Please send it to me and I'll let you know within the next 36 months if it's safe to ride. If not, I will make sure it doesn't threaten your safety anymore.

jmoore
10-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I know it's not exactly what you asked, but I've removed black adonizing from a stem with oven cleaner. It worked like a charm. Just dropped it in a plastic bowl.

fuzzalow
10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
3T stem logo is painted on via stencil. Acetone or lacquer thinner on a Q-tip rubbed on the logo will melt/remove it. Dip Q-tip often in acetone to soak off the logo.

Helpful if done in well ventilated area but at concentrations applied by Q-tip, no respirator necessary. Acetone or lacquer thinner is harmful solvent and absorbed by skin contact so be diligent.

Never use a scothbrite pad on a finished bike component unless its finish is already brushed. That's just crude.

72gmc
10-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Fingernail polish remover (usually acetone-based) and a q-tip. Takes off stem and bar logos and it's no more dangerous than sitting with a wife and 2 daughters on Top Chef night.