PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever own a Serotta HSG?

saab2000
10-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I keep trying to find a happy medium on the Look 585 front as I seem to be in between sizes and my latest experiment with a Large 585 is leaving me somewhat lukewarm. And occasionally I see used HSGs out there, especially the carbon ones and it makes me curious. They have a 57cm top tube in the size 56 and this would be about right for me. The Look with a 56 seems to short and somewhat awkward with the right stem. Not selling it yet, but I'm open for new ideas.

What would previous owners of the carbon HSG have to say about their experiences? I know the bike is no longer top of the line technology but we all know Serotta could hit them out of the park sometimes and I'm curious if this was a bit of a hidden gem in their lineup. My eyes peruse eBay often with this model in mind.

Thanks!

PaulE
10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
IMHO, the carbon HSG was a Meivici with aluminum rear dropouts and bottom bracket threading instead of the Ti used by the Meivici. Also aluminum dropouts in the fork if it is an S3 instead of an F3. The Meivici offered more custom options and tube options than the HSG but the HSG is still a great frame. This from someone who is very happy with his HSG and has never ridden a Meivici, but I have heard the same from people who have had both.

happycampyer
10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
As PaulE said, the HSG is basically built exactly the same way as a MeiVici, but with aluminum in place of ti in the dropouts and bottom bracket. They came in race-oriented stock geos, and I'm pretty sure that they were all built with the medium (8.5) stiffness tubing, and came with 8.5 stiffness forks. I think that you would really like the ride quality of the HSG (or a MeiVici GS in race geo, which is basically the same thing afaik).

I should add that, before I had a MeiVici built for me, I owned two MeiVicis that I bought secondhand, a custom SE built for a rider who weighs a little less than me, and a stock GS. I preferred the ride of the SE, which had mostly 6.5 tubing (from what I understand), and the new custom one was based on the tubeset of the previous SE. The GS was overly stiff for me, as were a bunch of other bikes that I had at the time and that I ended up selling (Parlee Z3, 595, R3 SL, etc.).

rounder
10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I never owned one, but saw them in a shop. To me, the carbon HSG i saw was one one of the nicest bikes i ever saw. I think it had standard racing geometry...not available in custom from what i remember.

SPOKE
10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
saab, be sure to factor in ST angle & HT length too if you track down an HSG.

saab2000
10-09-2012, 09:58 PM
saab, be sure to factor in ST angle & HT length too if you track down an HSG.

Should not be a problem. The Pacenti I currently ride the most has a 73º seat angle and a 57 cm top tube, so things ought to be pretty close even with the difference in BB drop. I think I could make it work. Or at least I'll give it a shot if I can find one. They're out there. As to the head tube length, it is indeed short. But I like that. And combined with a headset and a stem with some rise it should be about where i need it. But I have looked at the geo. The short head tube is actually quite appealing as I normally spend a lot of time trying to get a lower position.

Tim Porter
10-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Jim: I'm the happy owner of this HSG:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/file_zps05325acf.jpg

TT: 57
HT: 14
Drop to bars as shown: approx. 7.5 cm
Saddle to BB center: 77 cm

I had the aluminum fork dropouts replaced with ti when Serotta did a recall on the aluminum ones.

It rides like you hope it'd ride . . . . :)

Here's a deal:

If you can get a gig into White Plains airport, I will stick a 130 stem on there, slammify it a little more and we'll let you have at it after we adjust it to you.
Lemme know. I'm using Hyperons now on it, but it's just as great.

PS, if you really insist, I'll even switch the right hand brake lever over to the rear brake. Bring your pedals and a different saddle if you don't like Alliantes. BTW, I'm not doing this as a not so subtle way of selling it, for you suspicious types . . . .:no:

Tim

tuscanyswe
10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Jim: I'm the happy owner of this HSG:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/file_zps05325acf.jpg

TT: 57
HT: 14
Drop to bars as shown: approx. 7.5 cm
Saddle to BB center: 77 cm

I had the aluminum fork dropouts replaced with ti when Serotta did a recall on the aluminum ones.

It rides like you hope it'd ride . . . . :)

Here's a deal:

If you can get a gig into White Plains airport, I will stick a 130 stem on there, slammify it a little more and we'll let you have at it after we adjust it to you.
Lemme know. I'm using Hyperons now on it, but it's just as great.

PS, if you really insist, I'll even switch the right hand brake lever over to the rear brake. Bring your pedals and a different saddle if you don't like Alliantes. BTW, I'm not doing this as a not so subtle way of selling it, for you suspicious types . . . .:no:

Tim

Best looking hsg ever! I love that colour and i still plan on getting a bike painted in it someday!

saab2000
10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Nice. I'll try to remember next time I have an HPN layover. Or maybe I should just go there....

Only thing I'd have to switch are the pedals. That looks fabulous!

Tim Porter
10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Cool, let's make it happen. Happycampyer and I will surely be able to show you some sights. I'm going to ride the HSG tomorrow specifically because I've spent the last 400 miles of my riding on my '84 Sachs in prep for L'Eroica. I'm interested to see how it feels going from 21.5 lbs of steel to 15 lbs of carbon . . . . Tim

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/file_zps46cf656d.jpg

jlwdm
10-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Tim,

Great looking bike!!!!!!!!

Jeff

jlwdm
10-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Tim,

Great looking bike!!!!!!!!

Jeff

mdeeds71
10-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Owned both of them...sold the Meivici and still have the HSG. I could not tell any difference in the two riding or racing...just the weight was a bit less on the Meivici.

I really enjoy the HSG no issues I have come across.

If ever in ABE... Will let it out with you for a while!

docmaduff
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Saab, I saw your older post just browsing the forum today and it caught me eye. I had a 2007 HSG 56cm which I sold f/f/hs for $1100. I LOVED that bike. Racey geo but amazing ride quality that always had me grinning from ear to ear. I only sold because I got more serious about racing and had always wanted a Cervelo R3 (and the Orange HSG really looked terrible with our Red/black kits). The R3 is a better all around racer in my opinion but I'd own another HSG any day if I had the extra funds.

docmaduff
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Ooops, forgot to add the visuals

mokofoko
12-04-2018, 01:31 PM
IMHO, the carbon HSG was a Meivici with aluminum rear dropouts and bottom bracket threading instead of the Ti used by the Meivici. Also aluminum dropouts in the fork if it is an S3 instead of an F3. The Meivici offered more custom options and tube options than the HSG but the HSG is still a great frame. This from someone who is very happy with his HSG and has never ridden a Meivici, but I have heard the same from people who have had both.

As PaulE said, the HSG is basically built exactly the same way as a MeiVici, but with aluminum in place of ti in the dropouts and bottom bracket. They came in race-oriented stock geos, and I'm pretty sure that they were all built with the medium (8.5) stiffness tubing, and came with 8.5 stiffness forks. I think that you would really like the ride quality of the HSG (or a MeiVici GS in race geo, which is basically the same thing afaik).

I should add that, before I had a MeiVici built for me, I owned two MeiVicis that I bought secondhand, a custom SE built for a rider who weighs a little less than me, and a stock GS. I preferred the ride of the SE, which had mostly 6.5 tubing (from what I understand), and the new custom one was based on the tubeset of the previous SE. The GS was overly stiff for me, as were a bunch of other bikes that I had at the time and that I ended up selling (Parlee Z3, 595, R3 SL, etc.).

Apologies for bumping a long dead thread, but are these comments--about the bottom bracket inserts being aluminum--really true? It was my understanding that only the rear dropouts of the HSG Carbon were made of aluminum.

According to the 2007 catalog (page 12), the bottom bracket and headtube inserts are titanium: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=83122

This review of the 2008 model HSG also references the titanium headtube/BB inserts: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/reviews/serotta_hsg08

And here in this review of the 2009 HSG: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-serotta-hsg-carbon-09-33221/

Did Serotta make a typo in their last catalogs--and the reviewers just ran with it?

Mike Lopez
12-04-2018, 03:25 PM
The rear dropouts were aluminum but the BB insert and HT inserts were Ti.

(Didn't snap a pic of the inside of the HT but trust me...)

tv_vt
12-04-2018, 03:46 PM
I love my HSG! It actually kicked a Look 585 out the door. I bought it used from Cool Planet Bikes and the geometry really works for me. Don't know if it's custom or stock, but I like it. Mine is also DI2 only - which as it turns out, I really like.

Mark McM
12-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Here's the thing I don't understand about the HSG: The initials HSG are supposed to stand for "High Speed Geometry", which I guess is supposed to imply that this bike has a geometry meant for going fast. But oddly, the geometry of the HSG is just about identical to Serotta's standard geometry from a few years earlier - it was the geometry of the other Serotta's that had changed. But I guess it was better to be calling to the bike that kept the old geometry the HSG instead of calling the new bikes LSG ("Low Speed Geometry").

Brian Smith
12-04-2018, 04:19 PM
According to the 2007 catalog (page 12), the bottom bracket and headtube inserts are titanium: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=83122

This review of the 2008 model HSG also references the titanium headtube/BB inserts: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/reviews/serotta_hsg08

And here in this review of the 2009 HSG: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-serotta-hsg-carbon-09-33221/

Did Serotta make a typo in their last catalogs--and the reviewers just ran with it?

As the catologue you linked shows, there were a lot of bikes with "HSG" as part of their model name. The catalogs were correct, although they were frequently released partway into their relevant model year, and lagging behind new products with some frequency. As Mike noted, (Hi Mike!) the HSG Carbon (and HSG Supercomp for that matter) always used titanium bottom bracket inserts and head tube inserts. Some lugged carbon HSG models had titanium dropouts, some had aluminium dropouts, and all had aluminium fasteners holding the seat stay against the dropout. See this example:
titanium dropouts here. (https://www.shoppok.com/philadelphia/Serotta-2011-HSG-Super-Comp-GS-58cm-x-57tt-frameset----3600--King-of-Prussia-,28,210685,image_large.htm)

Some early HSG Carbon had the original head tube insert which was later revised for additional strength. Such design details and quality improvements in process are likely much more important to the end result for the owner/rider than the materials selected (or reported.) There are a lot of stories about the way these carbon frame and forks came to be, sometimes interesting. When Dave Kirk relates how Atlantas were produced in custom geometry and so forth, one can identify some continuity in results here. The customer seldom emerged the loser in any indecisive matter, so any "worry" about which material was selected for which part should be run through that filter. If there is still a worry, repeat the filter process.

Here are the head tube inserts, some BB parts including inserts, the aluminium fastener, and the titanium dropout most commonly found on HSG Carbon models:
Ti alloy and Al alloy parts (https://imgur.com/a/rbBezzB)
Hope this helps.

Brian Smith
12-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Here's the thing I don't understand about the HSG: The initials HSG are supposed to stand for "High Speed Geometry", which I guess is supposed to imply that this bike has a geometry meant for going fast. But oddly, the geometry of the HSG is just about identical to Serotta's standard geometry from a few years earlier - it was the geometry of the other Serotta's that had changed. But I guess it was better to be calling to the bike that kept the old geometry the HSG instead of calling the new bikes LSG ("Low Speed Geometry").

The moniker was not produced for your understanding. :)
It may also not have originally "stood for High Speed Geometry."
Sometimes, you're better off willfully suspending disbelief.

Climb01742
12-04-2018, 04:53 PM
I always wanted to try Serotta carbon. Just never got frame availability and funds availability to synchronize.;) This thread revival re-itches that itch.

Mark McM
12-04-2018, 04:53 PM
The moniker was not produced for your understanding. :)
It may also not have originally "stood for High Speed Geometry."
Sometimes, you're better off willfully suspending disbelief.

According to the 2007 Serotta catalog (https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=76792&d=1292948662) (page 12): "HSG stands for High Speed Geometry and it’s designed for one thing and one thing only — speed."

If you browse through this archive of older Serotta catalogs (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Serotta/Catalogues/), the HSG models have nearly identical geometry as their earlier standard geometry.

Hawker
12-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Ooops, forgot to add the visuals

docmaduff,
Love it. Different, bold but classy.

bart998
12-04-2018, 06:49 PM
I don't have extensive carbon experience but I have owned a Calfee, Ridley, Landshark Carbon, and have an HSG that I bought on the forum here about 3-4 years ago... it kicked the Landshark out the door. It is very responsive yet delivers a smooth ride with no harshness. Love it! It's getting a little long in the tooth now but still rides great and gives me no reason to want to switch again.

djg
12-04-2018, 07:29 PM
I have an HSG Ti -- great bike, but maybe not much of a reference point for this thread.

duff_duffy
12-04-2018, 07:56 PM
These are great bikes....I’m usually into steel or titanium but enjoyed mine.