PDA

View Full Version : How to replace spoke on a Fulcrum Wheel

norcalbiker
10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
My wife has a set of Fulcrum Racing 4 wheels. She broke one of the spoke on our Saturday ride. Luckily I carry a spoke tools and we were able to get home.

This wheel is one of those wheel that no need for a rim tape. How do you replace these spokes? Has anyone here done this before?

TIA

norcalbiker
10-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Never mind. found it.

chismog
10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Funny enough, I just did this on a set of Racing 3s. I assume they are similar and you need the special magnet tool set, which I do not have.

I used an old derailleur cable threaded through the rim at the nipple eyelet and pushed around to exit the valve hole. Threaded the nipple on the cable and crimped the cable end so the nipple wouldn't pull off. Pulled the cable back through, and voila- the spoke nipple was in place. Cut cable at nipple and shake the loose end remaining in the rim back out the valve hole.

norcalbiker
10-08-2012, 02:34 PM
where did you buy the flat spoke and nipple? bike shop?

chismog
10-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Fulcrum sells mini-kit 6 spoke replacement sets. 2 front spokes, 2 rear each side, and the special nipples. I got mine from Tree Fort, among other online options.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2012, 04:15 PM
My wife has a set of Fulcrum Racing 4 wheels. She broke one of the spoke on our Saturday ride. Luckily I carry a spoke tools and we were able to get home.

This wheel is one of those wheel that no need for a rim tape. How do you replace these spokes? Has anyone here done this before?

TIA

Use a magnet, Campagnolo makes 2 steel inserts for the nipple, one for small nipp(steel spoke), one for bigger nipp(aluminum spoke)..drop it into the rim, strong magnet to fish it thru the hole, screw onto spoke, other end into the hub..true..need a Campag spoke wrench..yep, done it more than once.