PDA

View Full Version : So who's rockin' their pink kits this month?

Bruce K
10-08-2012, 11:57 AM
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Several of us in our local group have dug out any kit we have with pink in it to show support for friends and family who might be dealing with this awful disease.

So who of you are on board with the idea?

According to Meredith Miller (pro cyclist) "Pink is the new fast.":banana:

Any photos?

BK

jonnyBgood
10-08-2012, 07:43 PM
I've been rockin' the Rapha Brevet jersey (Blue with Pink and White stripe) and Hi-Vis Gilet (Pink with Grey and White stripe) this last week does that count? :)

We got some cold wether in Colorado last week, Wednesday through Saturday so I had to break out the colder weather gear.

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I just got some non-pink new kit and I will be rockin' it consistently through cross season.

BBD

Bruce K
10-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I am SO glad I never saw that when you were here for Gloucester.

:eek::help::cool::no:

BK

DRietz
10-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I need to - just placed my order for a Chris King Pretty and Strong hubset, headset, and T-Shirt.

My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer on the 1st of the month.

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2012, 09:07 PM
. . that I meant no disrespect to breast cancer patients or families with my post above. It's just that I don't own ANY pink kit and I wanted to zing Bruce because it's so much fun! ;)

BBD

Raffy
10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
My grandmother was diagnosed earlier this year so I'm rocking some pick "Save the tatas" socks.

I'm looking for a plain pink jersey but I'm not having any luck so far.....any suggestions? Not really looking for a proteam jersey (like the pink Lampre kit) but a regular jersey that's either pink or has some pink accents.

TIA!

thegunner
10-08-2012, 09:37 PM
definitely don't own a pink kit, but as someone who's had multiple family members go through it -- definitely gonna do something :)

pdmtong
10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm in...

danielpack22@ma
10-09-2012, 04:01 AM
My Fat Cyclist jerseys have a stripe or two of pink in them.
You can find those here: http://www.twinsix.com/gear/the-stuff/fat-cyclist/the-fat-cyclist-v8

dp

My grandmother was diagnosed earlier this year so I'm rocking some pick "Save the tatas" socks.

I'm looking for a plain pink jersey but I'm not having any luck so far.....any suggestions? Not really looking for a proteam jersey (like the pink Lampre kit) but a regular jersey that's either pink or has some pink accents.

TIA!

Elefantino
10-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Easter a few years back.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/pinkweapon.jpg

verticaldoug
10-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Sorry to be a party pooper, why not just give the money for new pink kit to a cancer charity.

Living Beyond Breast Cancer
National Breast Cancer Foundation

both score well for charities with like a 95% of proceeds going to the cause

The big ones like Komen or the American Cancer Society are becoming too commercial and score like 80% and 77%.

Even Livestrong scores better. 86%.

FlashUNC
10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry to be a party pooper, why not just give the money for new pink kit to a cancer charity.

Living Beyond Breast Cancer
National Breast Cancer Foundation

both score well for charities with like a 95% of proceeds going to the cause

The big ones like Komen or the American Cancer Society are becoming too commercial and score like 80% and 77%.

Even Livestrong scores better. 86%.

I'll definitely be in the minority on this, but I'm not a fan of pushing awareness of one type of cancer at the expense of others. Its a terrible disease no matter what type you have -- lung, prostate, colorectal -- and I think we should be working towards more dollars for R&D and a cure, than strictly awareness.

Who isn't aware of cancer at this point?

oldpotatoe
10-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I'll definitely be in the minority on this, but I'm not a fan of pushing awareness of one type of cancer at the expense of others. Its a terrible disease no matter what type you have -- lung, prostate, colorectal -- and I think we should be working towards more dollars for R&D and a cure, than strictly awareness.

Who isn't aware of cancer at this point?

I think this sort of thing reflects the helplessness most feel when it comes to cancer. Everybody on this forum and in the population at large knows or is related to somebody who has had or now has, cancer. My father, my brother, my father in law, 2 of my riding buddies....list goes on for everybody. 'Feels' like you are doing something when you wear pink but actually, it is subjective, does little to help find a cure.

BUT it also does help those who are fighting it...to see support for them, and mental state can have an effect on their fight-no doubt.

$ is good, more money is better but throwing $ at cancer research is not automatically the solution either. It'll come, the cure, lots of really smart people spend their lives trying to do this very thing.

Bruce K
10-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Didn't buy new kit - just dug out old pink stuff

Even if it was new it's about keeping things visible

Most of us lose focus on things not "pushed" after a while

Besides, this wasn 't supposed to be too heavy of a discussion just some time to share pictures and stories

BK

thegunner
10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I think this sort of thing reflects the helplessness most feel when it comes to cancer. Everybody on this forum and in the population at large knows or is related to somebody who has had or now has, cancer. My father, my brother, my father in law, 2 of my riding buddies....list goes on for everybody. 'Feels' like you are doing something when you wear pink but actually, it is subjective, does little to help find a cure.

BUT it also does help those who are fighting it...to see support for them, and mental state can have an effect on their fight-no doubt.

$ is good, more money is better but throwing $ at cancer research is not automatically the solution either. It'll come, the cure, lots of really smart people spend their lives trying to do this very thing.

werd -- cancer research isn't currently bottlenecked by lack of funding, it's bottlenecked by technology (to oversimplify things)