PDA

View Full Version : And a Dirtphalt Time Was Had By All!

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2012, 08:14 PM
I just got back from the annual "Dirtphalt" event put on by Paceliners CNYRider and Craig (whose forum handle escapes me) and while attendance never seems to explode from year to year, we always have a close little group and have a great time. This year on Saturday we did 25 miles in the rain, punctuated by a stop for hot cider and a consensus decision to head straight back to CNY's camp for BBW pork and many, MANY other treats.

Then today we did just under 38 miles under mostly cloudy skies, but no rain in the countryside surrounding Craig's house. These were HARD rides--lots of climbing and dirt roads, but also lots of good fellowship and beautiful countryside, even though the foliage was just a bit past peak.

Among the Paceline dignitaries in attendance were SamIAm and Mrs. Sam, PA MTB and Mr.s PA, maxdog, JohnMDesigner, myself, and of course our hosts.

Many thanks to both Eric (CNYrider) and Craig for their guiding skills on the rides and their incredible hospitality in having us in their homes and careening around their home turf!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Here are pics from Saturday's rainy foray . . .

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Quite a bit more comfortable with temps in the upper 40's/low 50's and mostly cloudy skies.

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2012, 08:22 PM
. . . from today.

AngryScientist
10-07-2012, 08:26 PM
damn, sorry to have missed. baptism weekend went well for me though. cheers guys, good ridin!

BobbyJones
10-07-2012, 09:14 PM
OT, but Scientist, were you out sat on 9w?

I thought I recognized your ride.

rwsaunders
10-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Nice work! Looks like you folks had some fun.

Johny
10-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Great to see everyone with big smiles. Cannot believe you guys rode in the cold rain.;)

d_douglas
10-08-2012, 01:12 AM
I love that type of riding and that weather. It looked like phun!

KNOCK ON WOOD, but we here in Victoria BC have had three solid months of sunshine (unprecedented) and it seems to keep on every day we wake up. I was out with the Chariot with my two little monekys and was warm in a Tshirt and shorts today.

Victoria, in case you don't know, borders on a temperate rainforest - it POURS rain here for a chunk of the year.

maxdog
10-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I love that type of riding and that weather. It looked like phun!

Big phun, with a great group.

sc53
10-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Dirtphalt is on my bucket list for sure! Looks like so much fun even in the rain. I was wondering which bike Rob (SamIAm) had kept since he's been selling off so many beauties. Glad to see he still has the Ellis!

CNY rider
10-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Could not have asked for better company.
Thanks to all who made it happen.
See you next year Sarah.:banana:

AngryScientist
10-08-2012, 08:09 AM
OT, but Scientist, were you out sat on 9w?

I thought I recognized your ride.

wasnt me. i did manage to get to trexlertown swap meet early saturday though.

good work all.

SamIAm
10-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Dirtphalt is on my bucket list for sure! Looks like so much fun even in the rain. I was wondering which bike Rob (SamIAm) had kept since he's been selling off so many beauties. Glad to see he still has the Ellis!

I kept the 650b Ellis just for this kind of riding! I also kept a Weigle, Pacenti and Kirk.

SamIAm
10-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I want to personally thank Eric and Craig for their hospitality. This is a great event. The food and fellowship are worth it alone, but the scenic, car free roads, the fall colors, the challenge (and yes there are some challenging sections, especially in the rain) make it something really special.

A big thanks from Rob and Sydney.

merlinmurph
10-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Wish I could have made it, I am absolutely loving that kind of riding.
I went for a hike on Mt Monadnock in southwest NH yesterday and explored the area a bit afterwards. I found a ton of nice roads, a lot of them dirt, and want to check the area out more on my bike.

Murph

PaMtbRider
10-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Roxann and I just got home from Dirtphalt. It just doesn't get any better than this weekend. Great scenery, low traffic roads, and a group of people that couldn't be nicer to ride with. After the sun came out on Saturday, Eric took us out on the lake for a cruise in his boat. Sunday's ride finished back at Craig's house where his wife had lunch waiting for a bunch of hungry cyclists. You couldn't ask for nicer more accommodating hosts. Thanks to Dave for being a patient photographer, and everyone else for sharing their weekend with us.

zennmotion
10-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Looks like a Rapha ride, only in yellow instead of black, and better company instead of silly contrived epicness. Wish I'd been there!
PS I'm wondering when the discussion of fenders might have come up?

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Looks like a Rapha ride, only in yellow instead of black, and better company instead of silly contrived epicness. Wish I'd been there!
PS I'm wondering when the discussion of fenders might have come up?

. . . was that nobody was trying to prove anything. It ended up being epic--and fun--because nobody was TRYING to be "epic."

BBD

goonster
10-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Nice Saluki!

What do they call that color?

grateful
10-08-2012, 03:17 PM
What calipers and what size tires on the goldish frameset?

SamIAm
10-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Nice Saluki!

What do they call that color?

I think Rivendell called it "school bus yellow".

Fixed
10-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Beautiful everything bikes ,country side, people .
Thanks Dave for sharing ..
Cheers

BumbleBeeDave
10-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Rivendell Saluki
Ellis 650B
Redline cross
Serotta concourse Cross
Ridley X-Fire
Raleigh cross
Salsa Casserole
Zanconato cross
Fish MTB

Pretty cool.

BBD

Pete Mckeon
10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
And it looked very inviting ...pete

PaMtbRider
10-08-2012, 04:48 PM
What calipers and what size tires on the goldish frameset?

The calipers are Tektro 538's and the tires are Ritchey Speedmax 700x35. Plenty of clearance with the Tektros but I would like better power and modulation. I bought a pair of Paul Racer M calipers today that I am going to try on this bike.

johnmdesigner
10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
We just got back this evening having spent Monday trolling for apples and pumpkins in Upstate NY.
Thanks to everyone for making it such a wonderful weekend. Great friends, great hospitality and super riding. What more could you ask for?
Hope to see you all soon!

John and Lei:banana:

velotel
10-09-2012, 12:27 AM
That looks like some fun riding, the kind I'd like for sure. Even with the rain.

SamIAm
10-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Couple more photos, one even has the sun on display.

fiamme red
10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Looks like a beautiful area to ride in, but I don't think you people got the memo about "glory through suffering": you seem to be enjoying yourselves too much. The photos should show you not smiling, but grimacing. ;)