PDA

View Full Version : Bent spoke replacement on tubular question

mcallen
10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I bent a spoke on my front wheel today trying to pass a lapped rider in the final section of my cross race. It didn't end well for either of us. Here's my question: do i have to remove the tire to replace the spoke? Wheel is 32 spoke Ultegra/Reflex.

ultraman6970
10-07-2012, 06:27 PM
You can do it the easy way or the hard way...

Easy way: unglue the section you need only and hope that the wheel gets almot 100% true when you get the spoke tight again. It depends of how anal you are to stand a wheel that is not 100% trued.

Hard way: take the hole tubular off the rim, lose at little bit all the spokes, replace the spoke... tight the spoke and true the wheel again. Mount the tubular back in the rim.

Hope this helps.

deanster
10-08-2012, 02:28 AM
If they use brass nipples then cut the spoke and remove the ends separately then re-install a new spoke using the old nipple and true. You can leave the spoke with the old nipple until you change out your tire but, probably never need to change the nipple (if brass). If Al then change out when you change the tire but use the old nipple as described with silicon oil and a little penetrating loctite (or linseed oil if old school). Did this when SS spokes were new and brittle. Good luck.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2012, 07:47 AM
I bent a spoke on my front wheel today trying to pass a lapped rider in the final section of my cross race. It didn't end well for either of us. Here's my question: do i have to remove the tire to replace the spoke? Wheel is 32 spoke Ultegra/Reflex.

First, how bent is the spoke? You may be able to just straighten it..stainless steel is real. But, if the nipple is OK, just detension, take bent one out, relace that one, reuse nipple, true..

mcallen
10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The spoke is pretty bent; it must've taken a pedal or something. I tried tensioning it, but I think it's shot. I'll stop by the LBS today either way to get a new spoke.

redir
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
If they use brass nipples then cut the spoke and remove the ends separately then re-install a new spoke using the old nipple and true. You can leave the spoke with the old nipple until you change out your tire but, probably never need to change the nipple (if brass). If Al then change out when you change the tire but use the old nipple as described with silicon oil and a little penetrating loctite (or linseed oil if old school). Did this when SS spokes were new and brittle. Good luck.

I would add to this, cut the spoke with enough length so that it doesn't fall into the rim.