PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions:1 involves cycling w asthma 2 re

goblue
10-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Bike choice. I have asthma and by this time of the year get pretty frustrated with my climbing. It seems no matter what I do I hit the wall climbing and literally cannot catch my breath! I use an inhaler and Siguliar...to no avail...also I ride a legend SE kyserium sl's dura ace compact cranks. Should I consider a different bike to help w climbing? Cervelo r5 comes to mind. Thoughts?

ergott
10-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Different bike? No. Does your bike fit well?

I take Symbicort. There are a few different dosage levels of it and I use a lower dose that keeps my symptoms at bay.

I'd see a doctor about what's right for you. What triggers your asthma makes a difference. Mine is allergy and cold air induced. I maybe use my emergency inhaler once a year.

goblue
10-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Is allergy induced as well. I do my best climbing in Michigan during the month of February. Trouble is the lack of rideable days that time of the year.

Seramount
10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
since switching to Advair, my once persistent, and sometimes severe, asthma has ceased to be an issue.

ultraman6970
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
If the asthma you have is because of allergies you should ask the doctor for something with steroids like rinocort for example, big chance the problem just goes away after using it a few times. If you are racing i wouldnt use it because you will be watching the races in the TV with frank schelck.

Always ask your doctor anyways.

I got some asthma problems due to nasty pollen allergies, got rid off of the problem with steroids. That doesnt mean I got faster I still suck hehe :)

FL_MarkD
10-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I started taking Singulair (now available in generic) about 4 months ago and it make a big improvement for me. My asthma is both allergy and exercise induced. I was at the point that I had an attack in 2 out of 3 rides. Now I am fine for at least 9 out of 10.

Everybody is different, try some different meds and see what works for you.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

Mark

Bruce K
10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
I use Qvar (maintenance) and ProAir (rescue) plus a nasal inhaler for allergies

I still have to watch my effort levels on long climbs

Have you considered a triple?

BK

Bob Loblaw
10-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I have an asthma related slowdown this time of year too, and haven't found much to help, though I haven't tried an inhaled steroid like advair or some such. Now through the first snow I feel like I am dragging a buick, especially uphill. I work it into my seasonal cycle, so it doesn't bother me much. I enjoy a mellow off season and start ramping up again in January when the breathing comes back online.

BL

Tandem Rider
10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Cold induced asthma here, used to be bothered by allergy induced as well. I found it was a combination of factors, and the allergies were the proverbial straw on the camel's back. In my case it was dietary (commercial non-organic meat). I discovered it when I was a vegetarian for a number of years. Easy solution, don't eat it. I would experiment and keep a diary so you can keep track.

I used an Albuterol inhaler prior to exercise in cold temps, it helps a little. Early season races are about 50-50 on an asthma attack. I don't even do cross for that reason. Hard intervals have to be done indoors during the winter. Advair was a waste of time for me, some people swear by it.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Bike choice. I have asthma and by this time of the year get pretty frustrated with my climbing. It seems no matter what I do I hit the wall climbing and literally cannot catch my breath! I use an inhaler and Siguliar...to no avail...also I ride a legend SE kyserium sl's dura ace compact cranks. Should I consider a different bike to help w climbing? Cervelo r5 comes to mind. Thoughts?

Yeegads..not trying to make light of your asthma(wife has severe asthma) but a lighter bike isn't going to help you breathe better. Go find a doc who understands these things and talk to him.

djg
10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Is allergy induced as well. I do my best climbing in Michigan during the month of February. Trouble is the lack of rideable days that time of the year.

Talk to your doctor about your specific issues, and the context, and see if he has any ideas? Maybe there's a different med to try; maybe it would make a difference. But it does seem -- from your post -- that the issue is medical, not mechanical. If your bike fits, and everything is working, I shouldn't think that there would be all that much to gain from a different ride -- some bikes are a little lighter, or feel a little more responsive, but it's hard to believe that switching from an 18 lb bike to a 16 pound bike, or 17 to 15, would make any real difference to your condition. The only equipment thing that comes to mind is, if you're not racing, maybe just back off and find some easier gears via a new cassette, compact crank, or both. But really, talk to your doctor, and don't kill yourself with this.

goblue
10-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Useful and heartfelt...