PDA

View Full Version : Paul Minimotos

false_Aest
10-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm trying to set up some minimotos. Front posts are 80mm c-c rear is ~ 75mm c-c.
I'm pairing them up with Ultegra SL levers.

How much space should I be aiming for between brake pad and rim? Right now, I have mine set up with ~ 2mm of space but when I squeeze the lever I'm only getting engagement when the lever gets to about 3/4" away from the drops.

It seems like this isn't enough space between pad/rim.
But its been over 10 years since I've ridden in any sort've muddy condition and about the same amount of time since I last set up a pair of v or cantilever brakes.

Thanks.

jeduardo
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
This is how I've done mine, works great for me but BNM would I claim it's the best/pro way to do dial the MiniMotos in.
I've set my brakes to attain full lock up at 3/4 through the lever throw (run '08 Campy Chorus if that matters). BTW at time of install I immediately swapped out the "old tech" OE kool stops w/alloy TRP holders w/swiss stop inserts.
I spaced my pads based on the diameter of Hayes disc pad spacer (inserted disc spacer in-between rim and SwissStop, then squeezed lever to hold in place prior to the "torque to spec" part of the set-up.

false_Aest
10-07-2012, 05:52 PM
hayes disc pad spacer is what 3mm thick?

that's really enough clearance?

thanks

jeduardo
10-07-2012, 07:00 PM
I just went to home shop and checked, it was actually a Formula spacing block not a Hayes. Put a digi caliper to it and block was 7.6 mm thick
That amount seems to work just fine for me, but Sat was a soggy clay-fest so on some days less clearance may be warranted
Jay

hayes disc pad spacer is what 3mm thick?

that's really enough clearance?

thanks

DRZRM
10-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Which TRP holder? I'm using the KoolStop alloy holder, but I don't love the adjustability (short post and having trouble getting low enough on brake track).

jeduardo
10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I've used those KoolStop holders and REALLY disliked their customization flexability.
Decided to try a couple of the TRP road specifics but have settled on TRP's
"Inplace Adjust M holders" (their toe-in adjustable pad for low pro linear pull brakes) these come stock on the TRP CX 8.4 Micro LPs

Which TRP holder? I'm using the KoolStop alloy holder, but I don't love the adjustability (short post and having trouble getting low enough on brake track).