PDA

View Full Version : Colnago C50 HM VS Parlee Z1X...

SoCalSteve
10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

I know there are many people in each court on this one. I'd love to hear opinions on either, both or...???

Lets leave out the "custom" issues on this and focus on ride quality, build quality, etc...Lets assume that "stock" geometry works on both counts.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Fixed
10-10-2005, 10:40 AM
bro got it down to two? why not p.m. the jerk on this one? good luck cheers :beer:

LegendRider
10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm very interested in this same question. The stock 59cm Colnago geometry fits me perfectly and I've already gotten a CAD drawing of the Z1x I'd want (nearly identical geo to the Colnago).

Parlee pros:
- Lighter
- American-made
- Easier to contact re: support issues, repairs

Colnago pros:
- Mystical handling
- Sexiness

My mind says Parlee and my heart says Colnago (and, no, I can't afford both!).

oldguy00
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm very interested in this same question. The stock 59cm Colnago geometry fits me perfectly and I've already gotten a CAD drawing of the Z1x I'd want (nearly identical geo to the Colnago).

Parlee pros:
- Lighter
- American-made
- Easier to contact re: support issues, repairs

Colnago pros:
- Mystical handling
- Sexiness

My mind says Parlee and my heart says Colnago (and, no, I can't afford both!).

I think what you are saying is......you think you -should- get the Parlee.............but you -want- to get the Colnago....

Get the 'nago!!

wooly
10-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I have a Z1, not a Z1X, and an 06' C-50. Boy this is a hard one. I've only put about 300 miles on the C50 but have a few thousand on the Z1. If I had to pick I would get the Parlee but I can understand the emotion that goes with the Colnago.

Both handle great. The Parlee is a bit quicker handling due to the geometry (which is pretty standard) and the lighter weight. The Colnago is the more stable of the two. I opt for the Colnago when the ride is longer. It feels more stable/substantial.

Both look great and I think cost relatively the same. Parlee's support has been excellent, thus tilting the scales.

Dave
10-10-2005, 02:12 PM
The Colnago has a one-piece carbon head tube lug.

The pictures of the Parlee below, look like the TT and downtube were mitered and bonded to the head tube. You can see the weave pattern on the head tube, surrounded by a very small contact area, where the TT and DT contacted the head tube. At the minimum you know where the weak point is.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=31405&highlight=parlee

Personally, I'd be more interested in the significant difference in the steering geometry.

LegendRider
10-10-2005, 02:27 PM
The Parlee I spec'd has a 73 degree head tube angle and 4.5cm rake fork. Competitive Cyclist says the 59cm C-50 has a 72.8 degree head tube angle and it doesn't list the fork rate (presumably it 4.5cm). So, for me, the steering shouldn't be significantly different.

Climb01742
10-10-2005, 02:33 PM
socalsteve,
how big of a rider are you? how strong?
i'd say a parlee is better suited to a smaller, lighter rider.
while a 'nago (or a time) is better suited for handling the power of a bigger rider.
there is something gossamer-like about how a parlee rides.
a 'nago (or time) is more robust.
your size and riding style may be one way to decide, or at least a factor.

SoCalSteve
10-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I think my feelings are more along the lines of the thread I posted a few days back about "Important" bikes.

I know the Parlee wwould fit me better, but, the Colnago is only off .7th of a cm from what I like...So, it comes down to this:

Which bike would I keep longer? Which bike has signifigance? Which bike has more "soul"?

I think it is hands down the Colnago.

But, for the $4K for frame and fork...I havent done a thing yet...

Steve

PS: Anyone know where I can get a KILLER deal on one?

SoCalSteve
10-10-2005, 02:41 PM
I admit...I'm a big guy! Robust is very important as I tend to break things.

Thanks for that great input.

Steve

jeffg
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
gives you great stage race geo with all the mojo you could need.

Ride them for peets sake! I love my Hampsten and it was a good friend this year during centuries over (1) Ventoux and (2) 6 Dolomite passes so I say it passes the comfortable reach for a long ride test ...

vaxn8r
10-10-2005, 03:40 PM
.....I know the Parlee wwould fit me better, but, the Colnago is only off .7th of a cm from what I like...
I think that's your answer. Why choose "good enough" if one comes perfect?

As to the bigger question...Italian bikes hold zero mystique for me. In fact, I think by and large they are searching for a way out of their old patterns. Things that made them successful are being challenged by American's. Look at Eddy Merkx, who sells carbon only because that's what people want now. Huh?!? That sounds lame. Embrace it. Own it. Why compromise yourself? I don't see Richie S. compromising his principles and it doesn't seem to make his wait list any shorter.

I do agree that of all the Italians who do CF, Colnago is the one who has truly embraced it and made a great product. IMO if the fit was perfect on each, I'd still get a Parlee. Small operation, special service, that's all they do. Your C50 will be one of tens of thousands. Nothing special about that. But that's just me.

Spicoli
10-10-2005, 04:29 PM
I too am very close to pulling the trigger on a C50, and for NO GOOD REASON OTHER than WANT with a capital W! I absolutly love my current rides (one full carb/one alu. awesome bikes!) but I have always been curious about Colnagos and I did buy Wooly's Dream from the classifieds a few weeks ago, thinking this would calm me down with the Colnago lust I was suffering from. But in reality alls it did was make it worse. I love the freakin thing. It handles much like an old Eddy M. i used to have and is the stiffest (the good kind) dammm bike I have ever ridden, its not even the the 05 version. So my plan backfired and I will probably be listing everything I own in the classifieds to get a C50. I dont know if it is the chee chee factor or what but I and most who I have spoken with love em.
In regard to sizing I know a few people who bought by TT length instead of the sizing that Colnago uses and kinda regret it, thinking they went too big. This was a concern for the Dream I have and turns out that going with the size bike instead of TT length worked out for me. I had been using sqaure bikes with say a 56-57 TT with a 120 stem but for the Colnago I went with a Size 56 (but only has a 55TT) with a 130 stem and for me its hitting perfectly. Also before ALL THE EXPERTS start chimin in that my other bikes were too big or I was not breathing through my eyelids, I am just throwing it out there that this worked for me.

Get the C50 and if its a 56 and you hate it I will buy it from ya!(for a discount of course) Cheers,Jeff

weisan
10-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Also before ALL THE EXPERTS start chimin in that my other bikes were too big or I was not breathing through my eyelids, I am just throwing it out there that this worked for me.
Having flashback of HED STINGER 5.0??? :D

Spicoli
10-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Having flashback of HED STINGER 5.0??? :D
ON THE HEAD or HED?

lnomalley
10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
i've always thunk that mass produced bikes have inherently less soul a small boutique builder like parlee.

1centaur
10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
"Competitive Cyclist says the 59cm C-50 has a 72.8 degree head tube angle and it doesn't list the fork rate (presumably it 4.5cm)."

I read somewhere recently that all Star forks come with a 43 rake.

There's two parts to frame mystique - materials/construction technique and geometry. Per my recent Calfee/Crumpton/Parlee comparo, I think the tube maker for Parlee does good stuff - I have yet to ride CF with a sweeter combo of vibration damping and stiffness. I am only guessing that Colnago can't do better than that, but maybe somebody here (wooly) who's ridden both will characterize the relative vibration damping vs. stiffness trade-off for each. C50s are clearly heavier - there's a weightweenies thread on that topic now.

If Parlee tubes are at least the equal of Colnago, then it's a matter of matching Nag geometry if one wishes. Plenty of threads here on stem length and chainstay length and all that, but I'll attest to a very nicely balanced package of stability and quickness in my Nag. I suspect the majority of the Nag's mystique reflects that geometry. If you match it exactly, there should be no real mystique left. It's up to you whether that will bug you.

Economically, a used C50 should show up in your size within 2-3 years on eBay - plenty of money saved. A new Parlee will probably keep getting more expensive.

Finally, if you get a Parlee you'll almost undoubtedly love it, but it won't change your world. Neither will a Nag, but you'll love that too and you'll never need to get another. That Parlee Z100 will be out there in a few years at 650 grams for the frame only when you want to build a climber rather than a stage racer.

Following your heart works great in cycling, and sometimes in life.

Johny
10-10-2005, 07:49 PM
A new Parlee will probably keep getting more expensive.

It just can not let the Meivici win...at least not the price.

Needs Help
10-10-2005, 07:51 PM
In regard to sizing I know a few people who bought by TT length instead of the sizing that Colnago uses and kinda regret it, thinking they went too big.

I had been using sqaure bikes with say a 56-57 TT with a 120 stem but for the Colnago I went with a Size 56 (but only has a 55TT) with a 130 stem and for me its hitting perfectly.

Maybe because 56 + 12 = 55 + 13.

vaxn8r
10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Get a Parlee and paint it. I have to admit I like paint. Clear coat CF is so....late 90's ;) ;)

There's your soul!

Spicoli
10-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Maybe because 56 + 12 = 55 + 13.
Yeah Skippy, and if I shopped by TT I would be two sizes up at a 58 Colnago (57 actual TT) and probably not that happy. Current rides are 57's but can bounce back and forth between that and a 56. ie; YES the longer stem actually worked out. I know thats taboo but hey, there may be something to this longer stem shorter TT thing working a bit better for some? I dont know and it dont matter. The point being before sarcasm showed up is, if I had a Colnago with the same size TT as my current bikes it would be too big for me. Headtube too tall ect. do ya get it. Some may say that they are designed around a little longer stem, but who knows. Does that add up for you? By "hitting perfectly" I mean I LIKE THE WAY THE BIKE HANDLES OK Because there is a difference in handling between a 57 or 56 with a 120 vs. a 55 w/a 130. Its not just 1+2 = 2+1:crap:

Kahuna
10-11-2005, 01:18 AM
I trust the jerk when he says....

oh, and by the way. the c50 is still the best carbon bike out there. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?postid=120549#post120549)

jerk
I can't say I've ridden a Parlee, but I can say my c50 has effectively cured my bike lust disease. I'll never stop admiring other nice bikes, but I could care less about obtaining them for myself now.

I feel like a surfer that's finally ridden the "perfect" wave. :)

-K

The Spider
10-11-2005, 03:46 AM
With the Parlee you tell them how you want it to ride and they are able to translate that into ride feel perfectly, well for me anyway.

6 foot 6 inches and 83 kg I resemble a spider on a bike , use 180mm cranks and did a climb with 300m rise on the weekend that we estimate was 25 degrees. Other riders could feel flex in their frames, I couldn't...just pain...everywhere!

And that was 2 days after a 115 mile ride down the coast on the same bike.

Stiffness and comfort in harmony, truely amazing.

And then there is the customer service....go ahead and ring up Colnago for a nice little chat and frame production, carbon lay-up or recommended wheels or even local rides and see how long that discussion lasts!

Smiley
10-11-2005, 06:45 AM
I would put the Meivici in the comparison chart once the word on the ride gets out . NOTHING rides like a well fitted Serotta , nothing . I am waiting to hear what gives for ride qualities on the Meivici .

divve
10-11-2005, 06:50 AM
I think the Spider summed it up pretty well. With a C-50 you buy the vision of Colnago and what he thinks the average rider will like. With custom you are able to select properties beyond mere fit. You can specify the exact lengths of all connecting tubing, the amount of stiffness, and match the geometry to a specific fork. The Colnago is a safe choice. A custom frame on the other hand will require that you have a clear vision of what you exactly want in order to get the best out of a frame.

bostondrunk
10-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Might be worth mentioning that a Colnago will also likely hold its (resale) value much longer than a Parlee. No one will give you nearly what you paid for a Parlee (or a Calfee, or a Serotta), but a Colnago will sell for a lot of $$$.
Lets face it, most people here don't keep their bikes more than 2 or 3 years...

Kevan
10-11-2005, 08:37 AM
I had to say goodbye to my buddy Mikemets after he strapped on his C50. That boy did fly.

ChamUK
10-11-2005, 08:50 AM
It might also be worth mentioning, that according to my Colnago
manual, with the exception of some models, most Nags have a
maximium rider weight limitation of 209 lbs. So if you're
over 209, the Parlee may have to be the answer.
BTW, I ride the least expensive Colnago imported to the US.
It's a fantastic ride, I can't even imagine how awesome a C50
must feel like.

SoCalSteve
10-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for reminding me to ask that question...

And, thank you all for your great input and opinions.

I decided on a C-50 and I bought one this morning.

To find one in my size 65 cm and with the paint scheme I want PR00, I felt it was an omen. I also got what I felt was avery respectable deal.

Thanks all,

Steve

ChamUK
10-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I am way, way, jealous dude.
Congratulations...

mikemets
10-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for reminding me to ask that question...

And, thank you all for your great input and opinions.

I decided on a C-50 and I bought one this morning.

To find one in my size 65 cm and with the paint scheme I want PR00, I felt it was an omen. I also got what I felt was avery respectable deal.

Thanks all,

Steve

Congrats...I have a C-50 in the PR00 paint scheme and love it.
Enjoy.

Kahuna
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Congrats on your purchase Steve! BTW, I have a friend from back east who's a big guy (6'3" or 6'4") who owns a c50. Here's a pic of his bike (http://bethelcycle.com/merchant/373/images/site/c50macy550.jpg) so you can see how he has it set up. The caption only shows when you visit the link from the referring page (http://bethelcycle.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=141), but it reads as follows:

"This bike is ready to fly. Nelson (who is a very powerful road and TT racer) has this bike built for speed. Campy Record with 177.5 cranks, Zero Gravity brakes, Easton Carbon bars, Zipp 606 wheels and Tufo sub 215 gram tires. ONLY 15.8 pounds for a size 60!"

I'm a little skeptical about the weight, but either way it's a nice bike!

Take care,

-K

Redturbo
10-11-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a pr00 as well, but I like this one a lot! :beer:

turbo

SPINDAWG
10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm kinda partial to mine.

slowgoing
10-11-2005, 11:51 PM
I'd get a C50 in these colors:

http://www.campyonly.com/images/modbikes/2002/c40lg1.jpg

This is the best color scheme I have ever seen - I've admired it for years.

The Spider
10-12-2005, 02:37 AM
May you have many great rides together!

I've always been partial Pral (I'll get one, one day!):

http://www.maestro-uk.com/colnago-c50-pral.htm

I'm not even going to tell you why!

Spider

William
10-12-2005, 04:48 AM
I had a gentleman from my local LBS offer to sell he his Nag. He's tall, though not as tall as me. If I remember correctly it was a 64 or 65 cm. I love the paint scheme but I'm not sure I agree with the extended head & seat tubes to get it to a larger size.
I think Colnago has an aura/mystique/history about them (right or wrong) that makes everyone who gets involved in cycling want to own one at least once in their life.

William

weisan
10-12-2005, 05:22 AM
http://velonews.com/galleries/contest13a/Lance%20Impersonation%20-%20By%20KBH1.jpg

William
10-12-2005, 05:27 AM
http://velonews.com/galleries/contest13a/Lance%20Impersonation%20-%20By%20KBH1.jpg

You know, if I ride it like that it just might fit. I'm calling him as soon as they open. A Nag for William!! :banana:

William

wait, how do get "up" the hills????? :rolleyes: