PDA

View Full Version : From the Cyclefit Web Site....

Serotta PETE
10-10-2005, 09:14 AM
11 Things you probably never knew about Serotta…

1. Pascal Richard won the the ’96 Olympic gold medal in Atlanta on a re-badged (Fausto Coppi) Serotta Legend Ti. The bike still proudly hangs in the Coppi factory. More muscle to the rumour that pro’s would ride a Serotta if they were free to choose.

2. Greg lemond won the 1986 Tour de France on a Serotta

3. Many many big races have been won the world over on anonymous Serotta’s hidden under fake paint and decals. (7/11 Huffy)

4. Ben Serotta began building bikes as a teenager and studied his craft in South London under master frame-builder Andy Witcombe

5. The ‘Ottrot’ is named after the town ‘Ottrot’ in France – Ben had a life-defining ride in the rain there.

6. Specialized Bicycles now consult with The Serotta Sizing Acadamy to assist with their own the ‘Body-Geometry Bike Fitting System’. ‘Serotta-Lite’ anyone?

7. When you buy a custom Serotta every single tube is adjusted to your weight and riding style.

8. Even other bike manufacturers accept that Serotta’s 3-D ‘Metallic-Clear’ paintwork is the finest in the industry – grudgingly.

9. Ben Serotta’s family use to own a general store in Saratoga Springs

10. Ben’s wife Marcie is the unsung star behind the famous Serotta name. Over the last three decades she has done most jobs in the company. Her reputation as a builder and welder was legendary – she gave the torch up when she was pregnant because of the noxious fumes.

11. Work starts at 6.00am at the Serotta factory. Specifically so the staff can go riding or racing in the afternoons and evenings.

e-RICHIE
10-10-2005, 09:29 AM
4. Ben Serotta began building bikes as a teenager and studied his craft in South London under master frame-builder Andy Witcombe.

barry witcomb

LegendRider
10-10-2005, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Pete Mckeon]2. Greg lemond won the 1986 Tour de France on a Serotta[QUOTE]

Is that true??? I'm a big LeMond fan and I've never heard that. He rode a bike badged as a Look - I would be very surprised to find it was a Serotta.

Climb01742
10-10-2005, 09:45 AM
we come not to barry witcomb but to praise him.

David Kirk
10-10-2005, 10:01 AM
This is fun.......

There may be a few things wrong -

2) I wasn't there at the time ( I started in 1989) but I don't think this is true. I might be wrong but I never heard it talked about.

9) Ben's family owned a hardware store. He set up a bike shop in the back of it and that was the start of the bike biz. When I got to town in 89' the hardware store was still there and it was the cool type of old school hardware store that was fun to hang out in. tuff didn't come in blister pack but in big bins. The bike part of the business outgrew it's space in the hardware store and moved into a different building next door. I think that place is still a bike shop. At least it was a few years ago.

10) This one is true. Marcie did and can do most all of it. She also hand painted the "Aloha" bikes........simply stunning. The little known deal is that Marcie can bake with the best of them. Her pies are to die for. She supplied home baked pies to restaurants in Saratoga for a good while.

11) Unless something has changed.......paint shop starts at 6:00 and production at 7:00. We (production) used to shut down at 3:30 and have hours to get rides in after work. Over the years there have been some truly gifter riders working there. Shannon Skeritt ( now racing cross out of the Bike Gallery Portland), Greg Jackson and of course my hero Scotty Paine. The work hours allowed us to train and ride hard while putting in a full day. It also got stuff into the UPS truck and shipped that day.

Time to make the Donuts,

Dave

Tom
10-10-2005, 10:11 AM
11 - Still are, if the Deso day before the open house is any indication. Killing myself up that hill to be just a few seconds ahead of somebody riding a fixed gear was a hoot. The same person riding that bike down the hill was even more amazing.

e-RICHIE
10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
http://www.cyclefit.com/index.html

where is all the pasted info stored?

Serotta PETE
10-10-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.cyclefit.com/index.html

where is all the pasted info stored?

Richie, hope all is going well. Below is the address I cut and paste from.

PETE

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/serotta.htm (click on 11 things)

e-RICHIE
10-10-2005, 10:46 AM
odd that a uk site would get the uk builder name wrong.
didn't they invent the language, and all that?!

goin' great here, pete!
saw roy munson tear it up at the 'cross yesterday.
he's my new best friend.

Serotta PETE
10-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Great, wish I could get up there to see it.,,(and the fall colors).

Spokes is coming up to ASHEVILLE (Blue Ridge Moutains) to do some riding on Thursday. (and pull me up the hills)