PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Yokozuna cables and cable replacement interval

DerekB
10-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I have a set of Yokozuna cables that I am thinking of putting on my road bike (SRAM Red group set). It seems there was a big fuss about these cables a few years back, when I bought them. Anyone here using them?
Also, when do people change their cables? My bar wrap is just about ready for a change, I realize this is the time of course. Cables are about 2 years/5000 miles.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2012, 07:22 AM
I have a set of Yokozuna cables that I am thinking of putting on my road bike (SRAM Red group set). It seems there was a big fuss about these cables a few years back, when I bought them. Anyone here using them?
Also, when do people change their cables? My bar wrap is just about ready for a change, I realize this is the time of course. Cables are about 2 years/5000 miles.

Change cables when shifting isn't working well. First and least expensive thing to look at/change. Bigger issue is checking to make sure the cable end isn't fraying in the lever. Not a huge problem for sram and Campagnolo but can be a huge problem for shimano, particularly 7800, 6600, 5600...

gone
10-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I tend to replace cables before I probably need to, mostly because I hate breakdowns on a ride - even in good weather and especially if it's raining or cold. At two years and 5k I'd change them regardless of wear. Cheap insurance against breakdown.

Cervelott
10-08-2012, 06:28 AM
I use them on my 585 with a 7800 group. Have about 3,000 km on them and the cables have worked flawlessly. Had several problems with frayed cables in the past but not so far with the Yoko's. Will get them again for my new ride.