PDA

View Full Version : 2013 TdF to finish on L’Alpe d’Huez?

retrofit
10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
VeloNews (http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/newspaper-suggests-2013-tour-de-france-may-finish-atop-lalpe-dhuez_256119):

The 2013 Tour de France might not finish on the Champs-Élysées next summer...according to a report in Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblat, which cited sources within the Amaury Sports Organization as saying that next year’s Tour could end atop cycling’s most famous climb: L’Alpe d’Huez.

What, racing on the final stage could actually determine the winner? No champagne victory lap? To say nothing of missing the spectacle of the massive crowds on the Champs-Élysées. I'm not sure I believe it.

rnhood
10-06-2012, 02:57 PM
That would be cool. The final stage finishing on the Champs-Elysees is virtually worthless since the race is never contested on this stage. Its time for tradition to take a back seat.

2013 looks to have quite a few mountain stages which is also good since repetitive flat stages are pretty boring.

jerome
10-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Sorry but the race is never contested

I do not want to spoil the dream but you know how all this end-up.

Pro sport, Pro cycling is just entertainment and big marketing at all cost so turn your attention elsewhere would be much better.

monkeybanana86
10-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Sorry but the race is never contested

I do not want to spoil the dream but you know how all this end-up.

Pro sport, Pro cycling is just entertainment and big marketing at all cost so turn your attention elsewhere would be much better.

Well it was always about selling papers but you can't say those guys are not gifted athletes and it's good to watch from time to time :)

monkeybanana86
10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I think they're trying to sell papers. They've got to finish in Paris!

Fixed
10-06-2012, 04:20 PM
VeloNews (http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/10/news/newspaper-suggests-2013-tour-de-france-may-finish-atop-lalpe-dhuez_256119):

What, racing on the final stage could actually determine the winner? No champagne victory lap? To say nothing of missing the spectacle of the massive crowds on the Champs-Élysées. I'm not sure I believe it.

I guess I old fashion but I have gotten used to the race ending in Paris :)
Cheers

joev
10-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I read that there will be two ascents of Alpe d'Huez! Here is a link to the Cycling News story:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-ventoux-and-two-ascents-of-lalpe-dhuez-for-2013-tour-de-france

tiretrax
10-07-2012, 09:51 AM
The race always finished in Paris. For a while, it finished on a velodrome.

Finishing on a mountaintop will be cool, an it will sell a lot of papers and tv commercials since space is limited along the route. If it does finish on Alpe D'Huez, I bet some drunk on Dutchman's Corner will tackle a domestique before the race is over.

FlashUNC
10-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Makes very little sense given the climb wasn't even introduced until the 1950s.

The race will end in Paris.

patrick8037
10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with the perception that this year's tour was predictable and boring.

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2012, 08:27 PM
. . . the next to last stage--the real racing--will finish on the Alpe? That sounds far more reasonable.

BBD

Cervelott
10-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Love the Tour but have to agree with the predictability factor, last Year's race was over after 7 days. 100km of individual TTing, what were they thinking?
I like tradition but do find the Paris finish anti-climatic.