PDA

View Full Version : OT: computer caught a ransom virus

eddief
10-06-2012, 10:33 AM
must of been surfing a bad place on the net. Suddenly a screen comes up, says my computer is locked, and that I would have to pay $200 to get it unlocked. Just go to my local retailer, cough up $200 for an unlock code and all would be ok. Oh, by the way, with a very official FBI logo and a threat to put me in jail. Was completely unable to get back to the internet. Called comcast and they said it was a scam, but could not tell me how to fix.

Hooked up my auxilliary laptop to the net and that worked. Googled ransom virus, restarted in safe mode, did system restore, all is fine. I promise to be good.

rePhil
10-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I got a Mac. Prior to that I had a Friday afternoon ritual of running updates, adaware, and virus scans. Even though I avoided "those places" I got tired of Viruses and adaware.
Got a Mac and never looked back.
I know it's not for everyone, but it sure works for me.

G-Reg
10-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Get a Mac

45K10
10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
+1 on the Mac, I have a company PC laptop and I hate that thing love my Mac though. My wife was always in the Mac cult and kept telling me how good they are and I finally broke down and got a Mac mini about a year ago.
Well she was right, Macs just work, that is the best way to put

Get a Mac

Liv2RideHard
10-06-2012, 11:10 AM
agree on the mac. we got the big all in one imac and it has been good.

mcteague
10-06-2012, 11:14 AM
http://guides.yoosecurity.com/how-remove-fbi-moneypak-virus-malware-that-blocked-pc-asks-for-payment-100-dollars/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/virus-attack-simulates-fbi-warning/3f60a229-65c2-454c-acb5-db3a54040261

Macs get virus' as well but, as they are a TINY % of computers, the black hats seldom bother with them. It has nothing to do with better design.

Tim

eddief
10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
hopefully my message can be helpful to others with PCs.

45K10
10-06-2012, 11:45 AM
hopefully my message can be helpful to others with PCs.

Good point, sorry for jacking the thread and turning into a Mac love fest

Tony T
10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
must of been surfing a bad place on the net.

Which browser? Look into alternative browsers, (some have better security than others).

G-Reg
10-06-2012, 12:09 PM
...... It has nothing to do with better design.

Tim

That could be debated but the bottom line is I don't care why, I just know I have been surfing the web for 10+ years on a Mac, have NEVER had any kind of security software and have NEVER had a virus.

P.S. I surf some pretty virus aggressive places, if you know what I mean.

Tony T
10-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Get a Mac

I'm sure that there are less drastic (and expensive) solutions for the OP.
"Get a Mac" does not help

wildboar
10-06-2012, 01:40 PM
A Kaspersky rescue disc is cheaper than a Mac

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208285998

I've been running Kaspersky anti-virus for years and I go everywhere, download anything and I haven't even come close to a virus or malware that can touch my systems.

Germany_chris
10-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Get Linux...

XFCE flavor my personal choice if you comfy with OSX, KDE if your comfy with Windows.

But I live in an all Apple world from Mac Pro to iPhone.

DfCas
10-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I've heard reports of people making false negative reports of businesses on review sites, and then offering to correct/retract the the false review for $500. Is this not extortion?

Steelman
10-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Free stuff, download it at majorgeeks.com:

1. Online Armor firewall

2. Spyware Blaster (keeps you off of troublesome site before you can get infected).

3. Spybot Search & Destroy

4. Malwarebytes

sworcester
10-06-2012, 05:36 PM
get on another computer and Google search the issue. You may have to pull the drive and run a malware scan on it, but a few beers with a computer friend will take care of it.
Give him good beer, it sounds like you may get together more often.

G-Reg
10-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Do you think Lance doped?

gavingould
10-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I work in IT - had to get a Windows machine. At home I use a Mac.
Malwarebytes is good, Microsoft Security Essentials is decent too. We use those for clients who don't want to spring for anti-virus/anti-malware.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2012, 08:41 AM

oh but it does in some situations.

My last computer(actually 2 linked together) in the shop for POS system were PCs..had to be hooked to the internet for QuickBook updates plus so my thieving, former biz partner could steal $ electronically... BUT they got so corrupted by virus', I have to throw them away. We now have 2 PCs for the shop, but when THEY crump Ipad/web based POS....

Keith A
10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
There's been some good suggestions here, and even though you've solved the problem, I'd still run Malwarebytes at a minimum. It's free to do the scan on demand, but you have to pay if you want the real time protection.