PDA

View Full Version : Bars activating brakes when turned to lock

sfscott
10-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I just had a new frame built up, and it has the cables routed internally.

When I turn the bars fully to the left, the rear brakes grab the wheel as if I was on the levers hard. There is plenty of slack in the brake cable (can push/pull it thru the top tube some.)

If I open the brakes as if I am removing the wheel, everything is fine, but for the amount of lever travel.

The brakes were adjusted using an open pro wheel, and I noticed the problem when I put on my carbon tubulars.

What is the best corrective action here? It only happens when bars are turned to the left, not the right. Barrel adjuster, cables? I can take it back to the shop but want to ride tomorrow.

maunahaole
10-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Check to make sure that the housing is not too short.

sfscott
10-06-2012, 01:06 AM
There is enough cable/housing to move the cable back and forth thru the top tube.

Louis
10-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Do you ever turn your bars that far while riding? Probably not, and if so it's impossible to do it when you're going very fast. Maybe in a parking lot. Even then, it's probably very easy to avoid. Sort of like toe-clip overlap.

I'd say there's a decent chance that in "real riding" circumstances you would not even notice it. You can ride around a bit in the driveway to check.

EricEstlund
10-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Housing length- you know it's to short when moving the bars engages the brakes. Being able to move the housing when the bars are straight is most likely indicating that it is not friction from the routing- much more likely an inch or two short in the cabling.