PDA

View Full Version : Ever been spit on?

thegunner
10-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I've been heckled, I've had things people buzz me, I've been honked at -- but this is a first. Stopped at a light when a kid - no older than 10 - rolled down his window to spit on me.

His mom rolled up the window and drove off. :p first time for anything eh?

kramnnim
10-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I've gotten plenty of snot/saliva from riders in front of me with poor aim...but not from a motorist. Wow.

Jeff N.
10-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I've been heckled, I've had things people buzz me, I've been honked at -- but this is a first. Stopped at a light when a kid - no older than 10 - rolled down his window to spit on me.

His mom rolled up the window and drove off. :p first time for anything eh?I had some young punk in a Nissan throw a bottle of Heineken at me once. He missed, but not by much. It exploded against the curb. I rode as fast as I could to catch the sumbeoch at the next traffic light, but they turned right. I was extremely angry. I was going to drag his azz out of the car and beat him like a red headed step child. And I'm not a violent person at all. Jeff N.

slidey
10-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Wait...was there an argument? From your description, it doesn't seem so but still. In either case, did the kid aim at you, or were you just in the way?

His mom rolled up the window and drove off. :p first time for anything eh?

thegunner
10-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Wait...was there an argument? From your description, it doesn't seem so but still. In either case, did the kid aim at you, or were you just in the way?

no argument, i rolled past the passenger side (as i was turning right on the green), stopped, and turned around to see him spitting at me. pretty sure he was aiming, but who knows?

northbend
10-05-2012, 08:51 PM
30 years ago, riding along approaching Carnation, a VW van slows down, the passenger window open. I look over at the car and this guy hangs his head out and spits a large one directly in my face. Van Speeds off. Disgusting

Fishbike
10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Human indeceny has no limits.

67-59
10-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I accidentally spit on my shoulder when I was trying to spit off to the side and a sudden gust of wind blew it back toward me. Does that count?:eek:

old iron rider
10-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I had some young punk in a Nissan throw a bottle of Heineken at me once. He missed, but not by much. It exploded against the curb. I rode as fast as I could to catch the sumbeoch at the next traffic light, but they turned right. I was extremely angry. I was going to drag his azz out of the car and beat him like a red headed step child. And I'm not a violent person at all. Jeff N.

It is one of the most aggravating things a cyclist faces. And the thing is, as in your case, a kid! What did you do to deserve it? NOTHING! Just pure meaness, thats all. And the universal reaction by 99% of cyclists is to catch the bastards and beat the snot out of them. In the Lone Star State, I think they keep a couple of beer bottles in the car for the occasional cyclist that they may encounter on a little used road. I had one hit my hand, and I thought it was broke. The second one was a bullseye, and knocked me out, right there. And they drove off.
On the other side of the coin,--------I had two college girls throw their bras at me, and showed me their stuff. Now thats what I call being road friendly. {They were probably headed to Sturgis, where bras are not allowed!}

ultraman6970
10-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Like 20 years ago, We got a truck one day throw us fruit... he missed... the sprinter of the group got right behind the truck, im talking a full size truck bed... kind;a mid size for moving... he just started smashing all his lights using the air pump. Sure the owner of the truck was not happy when noticed that all the rear lights were disintegrated right up to the cables.

In another incident a guy from my team just went and opened the door of the stupid kid who trow a coke bottle to us right the next red light (bad luck for the driver). Never seen a 19 y/o mofo praying for his life like this one, the kid was virtually crying in the floor asking forgiveness and saying that he was not going to do it again. We rarely used the team wardrobe for training because is just expensive and just that day everybody was with other wardrobe. Another guy from the team just drove the kid's car and parked it in the middle of 2 big intersections, locked the car with the windows up and left the engine running. Sure the guy learn the lesson and sure he couldn't drive the car in a while, doubt daddy was too happy with a lie of how he got the car open or what really happened.

In another opportunity, 3 dumb kids started yelling us in a long overpass, they were virtually at the same speed than us... noticed the younger of the kids took his arm off the window to pad me in the back, at that moment stopped pedaling and i heard a crack sound. Then a kid screaming "my arm... my arm" while the car was passing us and accelerating. Looks like when I stopped pedaling he touched me in my back and was like hitting a stopped pole, sure the dumb ass kid broke his arm. Wonder what they told their parents about the incident...

Have way too many stories, even one of the guys that was in my team rode for years wearing a small a gun because he had been assaulted twice. So that was one rider you really had to be careful to piss off if you were driving a car...

thegunner
10-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I accidentally spit on my shoulder when I was trying to spit off to the side and a sudden gust of wind blew it back toward me. Does that count?:eek:

come on, we've ALL done this :)

old iron rider
10-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Like 20 years ago, We got a truck one day throw us fruit... he missed... the sprinter of the group got right behind the truck, im talking a full size truck bed... kind;a mid size for moving... he just started smashing all his lights using the air pump. Sure the owner of the truck was not happy when noticed that all the rear lights were disintegrated right up to the cables.

In another incident a guy from my team just went and opened the door of the stupid kid who trow a coke bottle to us right the next red light (bad luck for the driver). Never seen a 19 y/o mofo praying for his life like this one, the kid was virtually crying in the floor asking forgiveness and saying that he was not going to do it again. We rarely used the team wardrobe for training because is just expensive and just that day everybody was with other wardrobe. Another guy from the team just drove the kid's car and parked it in the middle of 2 big intersections, locked the car with the windows up and left the engine running. Sure the guy learn the lesson and sure he couldn't drive the car in a while, doubt daddy was too happy with a lie of how he got the car open or what really happened.

In another opportunity, 3 dumb kids started yelling us in a long overpass, they were virtually at the same speed than us... noticed the younger of the kids took his arm off the window to pad me in the back, at that moment stopped pedaling and i heard a crack sound. Then a kid screaming "my arm... my arm" while the car was passing us and accelerating. Looks like when I stopped pedaling he touched me in my back and was like hitting a stopped pole, sure the dumb ass kid broke his arm. Wonder what they told their parents about the incident...

Have way too many stories, even one of the guys that was in my team rode for years wearing a small a gun because he had been assaulted twice. So that was one rider you really had to be careful to piss off if you were driving a car...

:eek::eek: Damm! Where do you ride? :eek::eek:

Jeff N.
10-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Have way too many stories, even one of the guys that was in my team rode for years wearing a small a gun because he had been assaulted twice. So that was one rider you really had to be careful to piss off if you were driving a car...I've been known to carry a little NAA .22 Mag in my pouch from time to time. I stopped. I'd be too tempted to use it and the consequences would be dire.

tuscanyswe
10-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I've been known to carry a little NAA .22 Mag in my pouch from time to time. I stopped. I'd be too tempted to use it and the consequences would be dire.

***? Are you guys for real. I get that it perhaps is different in the USA than here but if i had to carry a gun for cycling and wouldent be cycling at all tbh.

Jeff N.
10-06-2012, 08:40 AM
***? Are you guys for real. I get that it perhaps is different in the USA than here but if i had to carry a gun for cycling and wouldent be cycling at all tbh.We got whacko punks on dope joyriding everywhere, trying to drag others down into the hole they're in. If you don't, consider yourself lucky.

thegunner
10-06-2012, 09:21 AM
***? Are you guys for real. I get that it perhaps is different in the USA than here but if i had to carry a gun for cycling and wouldent be cycling at all tbh.

we have people who want to run us over for no apparent reason - I don't find the carrying idea that outrageous.

jpw
10-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I was sprayed with a water pistol once by a passing car, but I don't think it was water.

The things people do.

tuscanyswe
10-06-2012, 09:32 AM
we have people who want to run us over for no apparent reason - I don't find the carrying idea that outrageous.

Im a bike messenger. Ive had my share of ppl trying to run me over. Perhaps not with as much determination as those ive read about in the us tho.

Still i wouldent bring a gun for a bike ride! or anywhere else for that matter. But again different worlds.. Im just thinking that if cyclists bring guns for rides in fear of beeing attacked by drivers. What do the drivers that actually want to do harm bring to the party?

Im not passing judgement here just saying that it sounds so completely wrong!

Mr Cabletwitch
10-06-2012, 09:42 AM
I had a kid stick his head out the car window and yell at me so I caught him at the next stop sign and asked him to repeat himself. He told me he was just singing, so I told him to sing. Kid started crying and apologizing. I bet he won't ever do that again. Its amazing how intimidating a guy in lycra can be.

khjr
10-06-2012, 09:54 AM
In Naugatuck CT. It was a kid in the passenger seat, but he didn't connect. I chased them down when they turned into Lantern Park, which is a "projects-like" condo complex with lots of speed bumps. When I caught up with the car his mom rolled down the window and said, "it's okay, I've already slapped him." Made me feel better.

Later that season, while cresting a sizable hill leading up past that complex, I had the unprecedented experience of having someone try to steal my bike WHILE I was riding past him. That was quite the adrenalin boost! I felt his hands slip off my jersey as I powered away....

Jeff N.
10-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Im a bike messenger. Ive had my share of ppl trying to run me over. Perhaps not with as much determination as those ive read about in the us tho.

Still i wouldent bring a gun for a bike ride! or anywhere else for that matter. But again different worlds.. Im just thinking that if cyclists bring guns for rides in fear of beeing attacked by drivers. What do the drivers that actually want to do harm bring to the party?

Im not passing judgement here just saying that it sounds so completely wrong!It's a very contentious subject.