PDA

View Full Version : Cost to build up a touring frame?

scottcw2
10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I need a relatively reasonably priced commuter and have decided that a touring frame is my best platform. I have found a frame/fork that I am considering, but I have no idea how much to expect to spend on building it up as a 1x7 (126mm spacing) with everything including fenders, front rack and lights. Also need to budget labor at a shop in SF.

I would appreciate some input on these costs so I can calculate a total.

An alternative is a local Jack Taylor Tourist with all parts already built up for $1200.

Thanks in advance.

handsomerob
10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
There is a new 56cm Salsa Casseroll on eBay for $895 with free shipping.

scottcw2
10-05-2012, 05:05 PM
There is a new 56cm Salsa Casseroll on eBay for $895 with free shipping.

Thanks, not my size. I'm looking for cost to build, thanks.

Aaron O
10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
If I had a shot at a built jack Taylor in my size for 1200, it would be gone.

It's impossible to answer your question without knowing how you intend to do the build. Used parts or new? What rack? What fenders? What parts? I have about 1200 into my tourer/commuter having got a killer deal on the frame, using a parts bike for most of the build and top end racks and fenders.

jr59
10-05-2012, 05:28 PM
buy the Taylor.

you will come out better

cnighbor1
10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
I would appreciate some input on these costs so I can calculate a total.

wow there is a lot of range in how you would build frame up for touring.
Is it just for day touring, a week of touring or long over a month of touring
1. Wheels. these need to very good. I would contact Rich at Rivendell in walnut Creek, CA and talk wheels. He builds all their wheels!
2. Using road components or MTB components. Road will just get gearing low enough to be able to tour with say under 40 lbs load and grade of 15%. MTB can be geared low enough to handle all conditions and up to say 25% grade.
3. My choice would be Shimano Delore from the 80's and 90's
4. What type of riding style are you? sit up or lean over.
5. Indexed or non indexed I like index to avoid getting tired at end of the day and not wanting to shift one more time but non indexed works all the time.
6. tires size big issue I like 32c minimum To able to ride gravel has all roads aren't paved and your camp ground for the nite can be just down a gravel road 2 to 5 miles.
I would go over to rivendell in Walnut Creek and look at thier various bikes
a. day tourer b. week tourer and 3. serious tourer and see the difference in components
Good luck
Charles Nighbor

scottcw2
10-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the input. To answer questions, I'm looking to keep costs low because I will be locking this up in the city. Used parts are fine. I do not intend to use the bike for loaded touring. It will be a daily commuter with a bag of office clothes on the rack and fenders for wet weather. I would be more upright on this bike.

The frame/fork I am considering is $600.

I would jump on the Taylor, but it doesn't have any braze-ons for fenders, racks, DT shifters or a 2nd water bottle. The frame/fork has all of these.

Rada
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
If not doing loaded toaring why not look for a used sport/tourer from the late 70's to late 80's. They are usually a bit lighter and more agile than full touring frames, but have brazeons for fenders and racks and will take wider tires. Plus they are usually a lot cheaper than touring bikes.

gregj
10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
If you had the time and the inclination to get mid-level used parts on Craigslist, here, etc., I would think you can get all the parts you need for $200-400 for 7-speed parts (such as 80s and 90s LX parts). You can pick up old seatposts, seats, handlebars and stems for $20 each if you're not too particular. Wheels are the high ticket item, and if you're patient, I would think you can get a 126 wheelset for $100.

Not sure what shops charge to assemble, but if you're mechanical you can do it yourself. Shops such as the Missing Link in Berkeley will let you borrow tools.

many people here have enough parts to put together multiple bikes, so maybe you should ask some local members.

Bradford
10-05-2012, 07:13 PM
The 126 rear would concern me. I would hold out for something with 130 in the rear to give you more flexibility on the wheels and the gearing. Total build cost will have a lot to do with the flexibility to build up something with a lot of available parts.

I do like your thinking of using a touring bike. I've commuted on mountain bikes, road bikes, and touring bikes, and I'd pick the touring bike every time. If I were building a commuter that I had to lock outside, I'd be looking for a Cannondale touring frame, give it an ugly rattle can paint job to make it look homeless, then hang a mix of 9 speed mountain parts on it. Throw on a ratty-looking seat and you have a perfect bike to leave outside all day.

Rada
10-05-2012, 07:31 PM
126 spacing is no problem for a steel frame. It is easy to cold set the frame to 130 or also easy to spread the stays 4cm to fit 130 wheels.

jr59
10-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Why not find a donor bike;

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=117130#post1217131

bobswire
10-05-2012, 08:00 PM
For what you want something like this is more than adequate.

http://www.bikemania.biz/frames/pake-cmute-cyclo-cross-frame/

Set of wheels> http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_235_242&products_id=1764

That will give a base for under. $450

I've built up 4 of these type frames for friends and to sell for under $800.

Ralph
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
For what you want something like this is more than adequate.

http://www.bikemania.biz/frames/pake-cmute-cyclo-cross-frame/

Set of wheels> http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_235_242&products_id=1764

That will give a base for under. $450

I've built up 4 of these type frames for friends and to sell for under $800.

That looks like a nice riding frame...assuming it's reasonably well made. It reminds me of a frame I rode in the 70's and 80's for all around use. Looks like it would do it all....and with lively wheels you could ride with a fast group even.

bobswire
10-05-2012, 09:20 PM
That looks like a nice riding frame...assuming it's reasonably well made. It reminds me of a frame I rode in the 70's and 80's for all around use. Looks like it would do it all....and with lively wheels you could ride with a fast group even.

They are pretty neat all rounder type frame.
Here are the last two I built up.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2koplj.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/10fbaj4.jpg

cat6
10-05-2012, 09:35 PM
A right arm offspinner, Rahman was a member of Bangladesh's 1997 ICC Trophy winning side. He became his country's inaugural Test captain when he led Bangladesh on their Test debut, against India in 2000. Rahman took 6 for 132 in India's first innings, including the wickets of Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly.

jr59
10-06-2012, 01:16 AM
i'd go the bobswire route, or buy a used surly cross check and upgrade parts as they wear/break.

What size bike are you looking for? I might be able to help if you're looking for something larger, 59cm+.

lol...I feel sure of this! :banana:

BTW; Cat6 is a great guy and trusted seller!

old iron rider
10-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Or, you could have Bobswire build it for you. There isn't a part he would not be able to find for you, and he does build some very good recycled bikes. I'm not sure he does ratty looking bikes. Bobswire, have you ever done the ratty looking, I wouldn't want to steal you looking bike?

I have in the past built these kind of bikes, but not on purpose. They just sort of ended up that way.:eek:

scottcw2
10-06-2012, 12:31 PM
i'd go the bobswire route, or buy a used surly cross check and upgrade parts as they wear/break.

What size bike are you looking for? I might be able to help if you're looking for something larger, 59cm+.

That is my size. I am pretty sure that I am going to buy BT's Kvale touring frame/fork from the classifieds. That was the start of this thought process. I already have a Kvale road that I love and the sizing is almost exactly the same (1cm shorter TT on the touring).

froze
10-06-2012, 12:33 PM
If the Taylor fits you then jump on it. Sure you could buy brand new touring bikes for that price but none of them will have the rarity and uniqueness, the classic value, nor the classic looks of the Taylor. But this is coming from a guy who appreciates classic stuff.