PDA

View Full Version : Help with Centaur crankset BB cups

vav
10-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Have a Centaur crankset but need cups. A forumite has SR cups but he is not sure about Centaur cranksets seal and I have no idea either. His response to me:

I believe they would fit, but you should get cups with the seal to keep dirt out of the bearings. The Super Record cranks have the seal built into the bearings so that they don' need to have the seals in the cups. At least that's how I understand things.
If you research it and still want them just let me know. Just don't want to sell you anything that won't work for you.

Would the SR work or I need Centaur?
Thanks

nrs5000
10-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I think he's right -- my understanding is that SR cups are for SR only.

Marburg
10-06-2012, 01:06 AM
I must admit i'm not 100% clear on the technical details but the synopsis provided by the seller is correct as far as I've been told. The SR cups are _mechanically_ compatible with all cranks (I currently have Centaur cranks on SR cups) but the combination is apparently less sealed. Campagnolo discourages it obviously because the combination will have a shorter lifespan.

AngryScientist
10-06-2012, 06:44 AM
first of all, are we talking ultra torque? both cups and crankset?

if so, yes, they will work, but as mentioned, the SR cups lack the seal ring the record cups have, but unless you ride in nasty stuff, they will work fine.

you can not mix ultra torque and power torque at all though, if that's your question...

vav
10-06-2012, 06:52 AM
My Centaur crankset is UT and the seller's SR cups are also UT. Thanks for the clarification guys.