PDA

View Full Version : Horse meat

fiamme red
10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/outcry-scuttles-plan-to-put-horse-on-a-new-york-menu/

This story reminded me that Eddie Borysewicz used to tell his athletes: "Guys, for me, horse is faster animal, so come on, eat horse." And they actually did eat it, as Davis Phinney recalled in his book.

Maybe the USA would finally produce some great classics riders if we fed them horse meat like the Belgians? :p

azrider
10-05-2012, 11:59 AM
gross

45K10
10-05-2012, 12:02 PM
I've eaten worse.

fiamme red
10-05-2012, 12:03 PM
It also reminds me of some posts by the jerk, e.g.: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=156836&postcount=17

45K10
10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
It also reminds me of some posts by the jerk, e.g.: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=156836&postcount=17

That sounds pretty good

FlashUNC
10-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I'd replace duck fat with horse lard, but the same effect.

Never had horse meat. Would be up for trying it.

monkeybanana86
10-05-2012, 12:16 PM
My friend from Tonga says they eat horse meat over there and my mama tells me folks in France eat it too. Cows and pigs are weird in other countries!

monkeybanana86
10-05-2012, 12:17 PM
not only did the restaurant in that link want to serve horse meat but they wanted to serve it as a tartare! :)

559Rando
10-05-2012, 12:44 PM
My friend from Tonga says they eat horse meat over there and my mama tells me folks in France eat it too. Cows and pigs are weird in other countries!

Yeah, it's supposed to be a delicacy in parts of the world. I'd try it.

54ny77
10-05-2012, 12:45 PM
i'd give it a whirl, why not? as if eating tripe (a normal food in many parts of the world, including here) isn't weird?

heck, i recently had ostrich jerky and it was spectacular.

Gummee
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can get horse just north of the border.

:dunno

M

tiretrax
10-05-2012, 01:02 PM
We are fortunate not to have to rely on many items for food that are normally served in other countries, and in even in some parts of the U.S. (such as squirrels, raccoons, opposum, etc). Check out Andrew Zimmer's show on the Travel Channel sometime.

robin3mj
10-05-2012, 01:03 PM

People in France eat horse because it's cheaper than beef, not because it's particularly known as a delicacy.

FlashUNC
10-05-2012, 01:13 PM
We are fortunate not to have to rely on many items for food that are normally served in other countries, and in even in some parts of the U.S. (such as squirrels, raccoons, opposum, etc). Check out Andrew Zimmer's show on the Travel Channel sometime.

But some of that stuff we don't have "have to rely on" is actually really, really good.

Cow tongue tacos? Back up the truck. Best thing around.

rwsaunders
10-05-2012, 01:21 PM
When the inlaws come over for dinner, I've often thought about grilling horse, but the wine selection has always left me bewildered...:cool:

verticaldoug
10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
In the Shinshu Region of Japan, horse is a delicacy. I've been there and eaten it many times. The best is carpaccio style with ground ginger and soy sauce. You should not knock it until you've tried it. Come to think of it, I've eaten fried larvae in northern Thailand too... However, I don't recommend that.

Dave B
10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
I have had students eat glue...does that count?

54ny77
10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Might I recommend a lovely Pinot Noir to complement your Filet d' Filly!

http://cache.wine.com/labels/114130d.jpg

When the inlaws come over for dinner, I've often thought about grilling horse, but the wine selection has always left me bewildered...:cool:

Fixed
10-05-2012, 01:46 PM
The only meat I eat is wild salmon and I feel guilty fot that
Cheers

rbtmcardle
10-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Ive had it two ways in Verona.. tartare di cavallo (horse) and in a amarone risotto with meat.. both incredibly good.. completely different but good..

lets not get into the dog meat discussions.. or that they raise dogs for slaughter in china.. just like we do beef.

bluesea
10-05-2012, 02:43 PM
The only meat I eat is wild salmon and I feel guilty fot that
Cheers

Good for you. I'm behind schedule right now, but my time is coming soon where I will stop eating meat. I've raised butchered and consumed beef cattle, chickens, goats, pigs, duck, and sheep. Have caught way more than my fair share of fish, including 1000's of pounds of prime sashimi grade Yellowfin and Bigeye. Will not fish anymore. Other things have become more important.

Joachim
10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
While racing in Belgium, horse steak was pretty common at the dinner table. If they didn't tell me, I would not have known.

Buzz
10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=rbtmcardle;1216977]Ive had it two ways in Verona.. tartare di cavallo (horse) and in a amarone risotto with meat.. both incredibly good.. completely different but good..

Also have had in Verona several times. Excellent. Tasted like a lean but flavorful NY strip. They also do a preparation where it is air dried and resembles saffron strings and put atop polenta, etc. Unique and flavorful.

malcolm
10-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Good for you. I'm behind schedule right now, but my time is coming soon where I will stop eating meat. I've raised butchered and consumed beef cattle, chickens, goats, pigs, duck, and sheep. Have caught way more than my fair share of fish, including 1000's of pounds of prime sashimi grade Yellowfin and Bigeye. Will not fish anymore. Other things have become more important.

Why did you stop fishing? I used to be an avid tuna and marlin fisherman, don't do it much anymore. Not really taking a stand, just moved on.

As far as eating meat goes, muscle is muscle

Fixed
10-05-2012, 05:01 PM
I used to love ahi tuna till i found out it is loaded with mercury
The best tuna for you comes in a can yuck
Cheers

bluesea
10-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Why did you stop fishing? I used to be an avid tuna and marlin fisherman, don't do it much anymore. Not really taking a stand, just moved on.

As far as eating meat goes, muscle is muscle

I look at the state of the earth and my place in it, and feel I've had more than my share. Deep sea fishing was a lifestyle. Trolling, overnight hand lining for yellowfin/bigeye, finding semi or shallow submerged logs/shipping containers/cargo nets with a full and abundant food chain living around above and below it, and staying with it overnight to catch the rise and fall of as many daily feed cycles as possible, chasing all day long huge fast moving schools of yellowfin 150-250lb and trying to hook up when they come back to the surface, overnight bottom fishing to 300+ fathoms.

I'm not taking a stand either--everyone makes their own decisions, and I still butcher sashimi grade tuna for friends with the knife my Dad made for me for that purpose.

d_douglas
10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I recently moved back from living in Geneva. I was in a restaurant (with a fellow Canadian, in fact) and he ordered a 'steak du cheval' - my immediate reaction was 'gross!', as I am a reformed vegetarian.

He replied by asking if I had ever tried it and I said, 'of course, no!', to which I thought that maybe I should not criticize it and just give it a try.

To my dismay, it was pretty good, but that was helped by the herbed butter that was melting on top of it.

On that day, I put my money where my mouth was...

bluesea
10-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I used to love ahi tuna till i found out it is loaded with mercury
The best tuna for you comes in a can yuck
Cheers

My absolute favorite tuna is the smallish Skipjack--called Aku in Hawaii, Katsuo in Japan (the ichiban soup base for Ramen, I might add). Its my best sashimi, and redefines the definition of tuna salad sandwich. But then again Ono (Wahoo) and Shortbilled Spearfish makes awesome sandwiches too.

Rueda Tropical
10-05-2012, 05:39 PM

I'll take any of the above any day of the week instead of fast food and what is served at chain 'restaurants' -which really shouldn't even qualify as food.

Ahneida Ride
10-05-2012, 05:58 PM
During the Depression, Horse was on the menu for a lot of people.

malcolm
10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
I look at the state of the earth and my place in it, and feel I've had more than my share. Deep sea fishing was a lifestyle. Trolling, overnight hand lining for yellowfin/bigeye, finding semi or shallow submerged logs/shipping containers/cargo nets with a full and abundant food chain living around above and below it, and staying with it overnight to catch the rise and fall of as many daily feed cycles as possible, chasing all day long huge fast moving schools of yellowfin 150-250lb and trying to hook up when they come back to the surface, overnight bottom fishing to 300+ fathoms.

I'm not taking a stand either--everyone makes their own decisions, and I still butcher sashimi grade tuna for friends with the knife my Dad made for me for that purpose.

I hear you. Our fishing in the gulf is a little different than Hawaii. This was my last trip on my boat before I sold it. She was caught a little over 50 miles offshore near a deep water drilling platform not too far from where the BP platform was that caused the spill. We almost never bring in marlin, but this one got tail wrapped and drowned. It was the last marlin I ever caught, and a very sad day. Killing that fish completely changed my perspective. I've been on a few tuna trips since but basically lost the desire.

Fixed these fish are a little different from ahi as in much longer lived. A specimen was sent to, I think Texas A&M and the mercury was off the charts. She was 680 lbs.

bluesea
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
I hear you. Our fishing in the gulf is a little different than Hawaii. This was my last trip on my boat before I sold it. She was caught a little over 50 miles offshore near a deep water drilling platform not too far from where the BP platform was that caused the spill. We almost never bring in marlin, but this one got tail wrapped and drowned. It was the last marlin I ever caught, and a very sad day. Killing that fish completely changed my perspective. I've been on a few tuna trips since but basically lost the desire.

Fixed these fish are a little different from ahi as in much longer lived. A specimen was sent to, I think Texas A&M and the mercury was off the charts. She was 680 lbs.

Sweet setup, Malcolm. Nice fish. We would keep a (blue) marlin like that maybe once a year, to take to a smokehouse where they took a share and smoke the fish for you. Most times we cut big marlin loose. Always used galvanized hooks so the ones that are cut loose or get loose have a chance to survive. Have seen many times big healthy fish with wire thin rusted galvanized hook(s) still stuck in its mouth. Plus galvanized sharpens easily to razor sharp.

I was part owner of a 17 footer/w Mercruiser 165. The hull was completely rebuilt/reinforced to the tune of sitting 3" below designed waterline, making it very stable in big seas 35mi offshore. You work the throttle up and down all the way home to steer through big following seas in a blow. Local hawaii fisherman are crazy that way.

Did most fishing in 27-32' local designs for hawaii waters. Mainland friends used to trip out big time on the rough conditions and crystal blue waters offshore.

I hear you about the mercury. The writing is on the wall if anyone wants to read it. For me I see having a safer and less toxic existence today costs money, and is going to be a more significant investment in the future.

old iron rider
10-05-2012, 09:15 PM

More important than eating? What's your problem with eating meat? The fact that they are animals, living creatures? So are the plants you are eating. They exist to live and reproduce more of their kind. Their main desire is not to end up in a salad bowl. And there are animals out there who would not think twice about eating you as a meal. Finger lickin goood!

velotel
10-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Never noticed that horse meat was less expensive than cow meat. About the same as I recall. I say recall because I don't see it very often anymore. The one butcher who specialized in it closed. He also raised and raced trotters. Loved horses. Nice guy. The meat is generally leaner than cow meat. Not sure I could tell the difference in a blind taste test. Cow meat here is different from american meat, leaner, plus the cuts are different. They don't get the corn fattening, additive treatment cows in the states get at the end. People I knew who ate horse meat liked it because it's leaner, not because of the price. In the end it's just different, but not much.

old iron rider
10-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Never noticed that horse meat was less expensive than cow meat. About the same as I recall. I say recall because I don't see it very often anymore. The one butcher who specialized in it closed. He also raised and raced trotters. Loved horses. Nice guy. The meat is generally leaner than cow meat. Not sure I could tell the difference in a blind taste test. Cow meat here is different from american meat, leaner, plus the cuts are different. They don't get the corn fattening, additive treatment cows in the states get at the end. People I knew who ate horse meat liked it because it's leaner, not because of the price. In the end it's just different, but not much.

Agreed. It's what you are conditioned for. Some countries eat dog and cats. We in the U.S. usually would be appalled at that. When I was younger, my Italian family would eat fried cow brains. Tell that to people now and they look at you strange. People in our neighborhood ate them like they were going out of style. And they did. But that was part of the culture brought from Italy. Squid is another disgusting looking little creature from the sea that is frowned upon. Change the name to calmari, add a salad, and a 10.95 price tag to it and people love it. We ate it as kids because it was cheap. I somehow always got the job of cleaning them for a family of seven.
But I always seemed to get a little more when the food was being piled on the plates. Cooks have privileges.
I have eaten horse meat. Very lean. I am surprised with the current fad of 'no fat' is the answer to life's health problems, that horse meat is not the rage. But,...........who wants to eat Mr Ed.

cfox
10-06-2012, 05:11 AM
To me a horse is a pet, companion and friend. I like them more than people (excluding my family). I have a strange horse meat story. When I was at UConn, I took a farrier class. At the beginning of the semester the professor sent me and a buddy to one of the 2 remaining horse slaughter houses left in the US. Our mission: get some horse legs/feet to practice horse shoeing on. What followed was like a B movie slasher flick. The place was a dump, of course, surrounded by muddy paddocks stuffed with shabby, terrified horses. To up the freak out factor, the place was staffed entirely by transvestites...seriously. When we showed up, a dude came out to help us complete with pink pants, messy makeup, a bloody apron, long bleached hair and a five o'clock shadow. He brought us out back to a tractor trailer with an open top hopper. He climbed up into it and proceeded to toss horse legs down to us. We threw them in a burlap sack and got out of there as fast as we could. As we drove out, a few more trannys came out for a smoke. They waved goodbye. Thankfully that *****hole was closed down some time later. I've been to other animal processing 'facilities' and they are the humane society compared to this place. So I'll be skipping the horse meat.

verticaldoug
10-06-2012, 05:11 AM
I enjoy eating horse and think watching the 300lb table of 4 waddle up to the salad bar for another plate of chocolate mousse to be more gross.

Fixed
10-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Eating meat or not to eat meat is choice we can make not eating it does not make anyone less healthy , ,
Most of us can do with a lot less things ,food being one of them than we think
The amount of water and feed that goes to make one pound of eatable meat is a wate of resources IMHO , not to mention the inhumane treatment some of the animals have to endure .
Cheers :)

froze
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
What's wrong with eating horse meat? Oh that's right, we being Americans must force our culture on other nations, and those that are different from us or refuse to come into line is just gross, or midievil, or just barbaric.

Grow up.

Fixed
10-06-2012, 01:47 PM

I wonder how old that fish was ?
Thanks for sharing nice story fish are some of earth 's most beautiful creatures
IMHO
Cheers
I have a jack Dempsey fish in a tank I have been taking care of years ,he a great source for entertainment he has a great personality

malcolm
10-06-2012, 02:27 PM
I wonder how old that fish was ?
Thanks for sharing nice story fish are some of earth 's most beautiful creatures
IMHO
Cheers
I have a jack Dempsey fish in a tank I have been taking care of years ,he a great source for entertainment he has a great personality

Estimating the age of Marlin has been debatable for years. I've not kept up with the sport the past 5 years or so. At one point we thought they were probably much older than now believed. They do think most big ones over a couple hundred pounds are female and I think most marine biologists would put a fish that size, 680 lbs in the 35-40 year range, though debatable.

There is something truly special to be out there in cobalt blue water and witness a "lit up" marlin. I've never seen a picture or video that accurately displays their color.

bluesea, I did most of my fishing from a much smaller boat, that is a '33 blackfin with twin 420hp volvo diesels. I've fished in Hawaii a few times as well as central america. The gulf of mexico is interesting barring storms we tend to have a steep chop which makes head seas brutal, 3-5's with a very short interval makes for a long day sometimes.

fiamme red
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/business/global/23iht-horse23.html

But as the scandal continues, more instances of horse meat disguised as beef are surfacing. The Irish government said Friday that officials had closed a meat processor in Carrick-on-Suir, B&F Meats, after discovering that the company had shipped horse meat labeled as beef to the Czech Republic.This caught my eye, since it's Sean Kelly's hometown (population 5,906).

veggieburger
02-25-2013, 02:00 PM
We eat horse meat all the time, mostly as cold cuts. Salty, but extremely lean and delicious.

http://www.mijnslager.info/images/vleeswaren/vlwfoto_rauw/vlwfoto_rookvlees/Originelen/vlw%20pa%20rookvlees_O.jpg

Louis
02-25-2013, 02:09 PM
We eat horse meat all the time, mostly as cold cuts. Salty, but extremely lean and delicious.

YOU !!! Of all people. I'm so disappointed.

Can't trust anyone on the InterWeb. ;)

veggieburger
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
YOU !!! Of all people. I'm so disappointed.

Can't trust anyone on the InterWeb. ;)

Hahahaha, yeah, despite the handle, I'm no vegetarian. I'm an equal opportunity omnivore!

OperaLover
02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
In the Shinshu Region of Japan, horse is a delicacy. I've been there and eaten it many times. The best is carpaccio style with ground ginger and soy sauce. You should not knock it until you've tried it. Come to think of it, I've eaten fried larvae in northern Thailand too... However, I don't recommend that.

I'm with you. Sakura-niku (raw horse meat) is delicious! I've done the fried larva in Thailand, too. I liked it, reminded me of hot butterd popcorn.

Now, I did eat cat in China. It was not great; still feel guilty every time I pet our cats! But my kids think I am one cool Dad for doing it.

Designatedbiker
02-25-2013, 03:02 PM
It's how you prepare it :)

54ny77
02-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I just go to Ikea and eat their meatballs.

:)

fiamme red
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM

:)Ikea meatballs, the perfect horse d'oeuvre. :)

Louis
02-25-2013, 03:48 PM

I though Ikea was a furniture place?

54ny77
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Bookshelves with meatballs, it's a logical pairing.

I though Ikea was a furniture place?

rwsaunders
02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
My business partner and his wife raise grass fed, English breed cattle just East of Seattle. They're passionate about their respect for the animals, the quality of their product and food resources in general. The food resources issue is what fueled their initial interest in the business.

If you're in the market for quality beef and you're in Seattle (they don't ship and they sell bulk only), PM me if you want a link to their website or check the OT epicurean section of VSalon.

verticaldoug
02-25-2013, 04:53 PM
When you read the articles about the supply chains across the EU, it makes it pretty hard to believe anything is as labeled. It is really pretty frightening.

I remember few years back in China when a local guy was mixing garbage pickled radishes into his dumplings to cut costs.

cash05458
02-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I lived in Belgie for over a decade and used to eat horse meat all the time...every butcher had it...tastes pretty much the same as beef just a lil tougher...tougher like say london broil...less fat as well...good stuff...

victoryfactory
02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Hahahaha, yeah, despite the handle, I'm no vegetarian. I'm an equal opportunity omnivore!

I thought you were one of us!

I'll send you a case of IKEA Swedebiscuit meatballs

VF

Louis
02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Cow vs Horse notwithstanding, the bigger question is processed food in general - who knows what's in that stuff? "Filler" in hamburger, goodness-know-what in Spam, cockroach parts in your Wheaties.

About the only way to be 100% safe is to grow your own, which in today's world is not a viable alternative for 99.9% of us.

cfox
02-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Suddenly I believe Alberto Contador.

54ny77
02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
totally plausible.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZoOpHji4kF8/T9Aqhbb-RGI/AAAAAAAAAP4/pDqQDUz4Tew/s640/cow.+v.jpg

Suddenly I believe Alberto Contador.

Louis
02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Years and years ago while out on a bike ride I decided to become a vegetarian. I've always said "Hello" to farm animals as I ride by them. One day after doing so, I decided that I could not cheerfully greet some cows one day then eat them the next.

No meat of fish since that ride. I've also switched over to soy milk and minimize cheese.

YMMV

Designatedbiker
02-25-2013, 06:40 PM

LMAO... so that's what the mystery meat was. They taste worst and worst.

Fiertetimestwo
02-25-2013, 06:57 PM
The funniest line I've seen about the horse-meat substitution scandal (which is all over the news here) is

"To beef or not to beef. That is equestrian."

pbarry
02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I lived in Belgie for over a decade and used to eat horse meat all the time...every butcher had it...tastes pretty much the same as beef just a lil tougher...tougher like say london broil...less fat as well...good stuff...

Horse is not contaminated meat. If you haven't raise/hunted/butchered your own meat source, it's probably a stretch thinking about Black Beauty and Seaubiscuit on the table. No horse legally slaughtered in the U.S. since 2007, so everyone rest easy, unless the pony goes missing.

Louis
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
No horse legally slaughtered in the U.S. since 2007,

Maybe not, but plenty of downer cows have been.

pbarry
02-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Maybe not, but plenty of downer cows have been.
Your point? Start a vegan thread, por favor.

rwsaunders
02-25-2013, 09:21 PM
The funniest line I've seen about the horse-meat substitution scandal (which is all over the news here) is

"To beef or not to beef. That is equestrian."

"From stable to table"...heard that on the BBC.

Louis
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Your point? Start a vegan thread, por favor.

Why? Is only one opinion (presumably yours) allowed to post in this thread?

fourflys
02-25-2013, 09:31 PM

they may have horse meat, but they are delish! seriously... :)

pbarry
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Why? Is only one opinion (presumably yours) allowed to post in this thread?

No.

Louis
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Regarding my point: The thread is about meat not being exactly what you think it might be. I posted a comment expanding on that here. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1301078&postcount=56) You stated that it's unlikely that horsemeat would enter the US food chain, which is most likely correct*. I then replied that perhaps there are no horses in the hamburger, but there may well be other unmentionable things in there, the same way there might have been mouse parts in breakfast cereal I had earlier today.

It's not just a meat vs vegan issue, it's an entire food-chain issue.

* Of course, some horses are just shipped down to Mexico, slaughtered in goodness knows what conditions, and end up who knows where.

Edit: by the way, have you heard back about the job for which you interviewed the other day?

jds108
02-25-2013, 09:54 PM
they may have horse meat, but they are delish! seriously... :)

Looks like those Ikea meatballs might just be .... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/world/europe/ikea-recalls-its-meatballs-horse-meat-is-detected.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

fiamme red
02-25-2013, 10:03 PM
U.S. Exposure to Horse Meat: Answers to Common Questions (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/business/us-exposure-to-horse-meat-answers-to-common-questions.html)

pbarry
02-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Regarding my point: The thread is about meat not being exactly what you think it might be. I posted a comment expanding on that here. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1301078&postcount=56) You stated that it's unlikely that horsemeat would enter the US food chain, which is most likely correct*. I then replied that perhaps there are no horses in the hamburger, but there may well be other unmentionable things in there, the same way there might have been mouse parts in breakfast cereal I had earlier today.

It's not just a meat vs vegan issue, it's an entire food-chain issue.

* Of course, some horses are just shipped down to Mexico, slaughtered in goodness knows what conditions, and end up who knows where.

Edit: by the way, have you heard back about the job for which you interviewed the other day?

Louis, this seems to be getting personal, but thanks for asking. :) No word yet on the job. Back to the thread: I've been involved with food production from vegetables to cattle since I was a child, so I know the downsides. If you are eating only non-GMO organic or biodynamic vegan food products, then you can claim the high moral ground. Carry on here. I'm out.

Louis
02-25-2013, 10:38 PM
I've been involved with food production from vegetables to cattle since I was a child, so I know the downsides.

For quite a few years as I was growing up my father had a chicken farm, so yeah, I guess we've both seen the downsides up close and personal.

Best of luck with the job.

Louis

oldpotatoe
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Years and years ago while out on a bike ride I decided to become a vegetarian. I've always said "Hello" to farm animals as I ride by them. One day after doing so, I decided that I could not cheerfully greet some cows one day then eat them the next.

No meat of fish since that ride. I've also switched over to soy milk and minimize cheese.

YMMV

This thread risks becoming some grandstand for a meat vs weed eater type thing BUT I've been tempted to do the eat nothing with a face, type thing. Both philisophically and because of some health benefits. Don't care what other beers people drink or what they eat. Not on any soapbox.

Right now I eat chicken turkey and fish but would like to try no meat just to see.

Gummee
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Mmmm buffalo.

Completely different topic than the OP, but I had a buffalo filet mignon in Cody, WY that was heavenly.

I'd be willing to try horse, dog, cat, etc (I think I have based on the mystery meat in the chinese food place I used to go to!) if its local to where I am. :nod

M

Likes2ridefar
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Mmmm buffalo.

Completely different topic than the OP, but I had a buffalo filet mignon in Cody, WY that was heavenly.

I'd be willing to try horse, dog, cat, etc (I think I have based on the mystery meat in the chinese food place I used to go to!) if its local to where I am. :nod

M

I'm pretty sure I had dog in Vietnam last year, but I can't be certain as there were lots of cats around too. It was quite good though.

ultraman6970
02-26-2013, 01:35 PM
In many countries jerky is made of horse meat, as for flavor? probably nobody will notice the difference between horse and a cow. Between sheep and cow you can tell but with horse is hard to know. By the way whats the big deal?? the darn meatballs were really good.

Who knows how many serial killers in the possession of a store/restaurant are adding human meat to their home made meatballs. :D yeah baby some brains started working now... :D

Likes2ridefar
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
In many countries jerky is made of horse meat, as for flavor? probably nobody will notice the difference between horse and a cow. Between sheep and cow you can tell but with horse is hard to know. By the way whats the big deal?? the darn meatballs were really good.

Who knows how many serial killers in the possession of a store/restaurant are adding human meat to their home made meatballs. :D yeah baby some brains started working now... :D

Yum. I mean, what else could you expect from something called meatballs? How about just cut the meat part out and make 'em balls.

It may have been mentioned already in this long thread, but I'm late to the party.

The vast majority of the food consumed in the US of A is not exactly what most people think it is. And it's pretty easy to point a finger and say many of the health problems in this country are directly related to said consumption along with a litany of other stuff.

Most recently I recall calamari was revealed to be some not very appetizing parts of a pig while nearly all fish sold is not labeled properly.

bheight1
02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Yum. I mean, what else could you expect from something called meatballs? How about just cut the meat part out and make 'em balls.

It may have been mentioned already in this long thread, but I'm late to the party.

The vast majority of the food consumed in the US of A is not exactly what most people think it is. And it's pretty easy to point a finger and say many of the health problems in this country are directly related to said consumption along with a litany of other stuff.

Most recently I recall calamari was revealed to be some not very appetizing parts of a pig while nearly all fish sold is not labeled properly.

Yeah, I one countries horsemeat is another's Cowboy Caviar/Montana Tendergroins/Rocky Mountain Oysters--hmmm good!

Tony T
02-28-2013, 08:15 AM
http://assets.amuniversal.com/8dabee70634901301a27001dd8b71c47

goonster
02-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Most recently I recall calamari was revealed to be some not very appetizing parts of a pig
No.

There is absolutely no evidence that those pig parts were ever actually sold or served as calamari by any real-life restaurant or retailer, in the U.S. or elsewhere.

This started as a unsubstantiated rumor, and This American Life did a cute story about whether it might be possible (verdict: maaaybe), but that's it.

fiamme red
02-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Ikea meatballs, the perfect horse d'oeuvre. :)From yesterday's NY Daily News -- small minds think alike? :p

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1274568.1362036425!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/gallery_635/bramhall-world-ikea-meatballs.jpg

goonster
02-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Looks like those Ikea meatballs might just be ....
Not in the U.S.

No horse legally slaughtered in the U.S. since 2007
No, but U.S. horses get shipped to Canada and are then slaughtered there.

Likes2ridefar
02-28-2013, 08:39 AM
No.

There is absolutely no evidence that those pig parts were ever actually sold or served as calamari by any real-life restaurant or retailer, in the U.S. or elsewhere.

This started as a unsubstantiated rumor, and This American Life did a cute story about whether it might be possible (verdict: maaaybe), but that's it.

It's disappointing to be misled, but I guess that's what I get for not reading the entire article.

goonster
02-28-2013, 09:02 AM
It's disappointing to be misled, but I guess that's what I get for not reading the entire article.
It's a story so outrageous you almost want it to be true, so it will surely live on for a while.

That This American Life story (an outstanding example of story-telling and journalism, imho), can be streamed for free here:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/484/doppelgangers?act=1#play

Likes2ridefar
02-28-2013, 09:15 AM
It's a story so outrageous you almost want it to be true, so it will surely live on for a while.

That This American Life story (an outstanding example of story-telling and journalism, imho), can be streamed for free here:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/484/doppelgangers?act=1#play

Honestly, I didn't even think the idea of it was that outrageous. That's relatively benign compared to other stuff used in foods that are consumed on a daily basis.

Tony
02-28-2013, 09:16 AM
I've had barbecued pony. I went to a party in Rio Linda, CA. There was big barbecue and live band. A girl found out she was eating a pony and really freaked out, started a big fight. As I remember the pony was tasty :)

Tony