PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Ti tandem on rbr.com

eddief
10-09-2005, 08:40 PM
can't quite believe you can get this much titanium with Serotta decals on it for only $850. If it fit me, I'd buy and search for someone to be the stoker.

http://classifieds.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Road&website=RoadbikeReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=55821&query=retrieval

Is this for real or is it scammy?

Sandy
10-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Serotta would know nothing about this frame? Why not? $850 for a Serotta ti tandem frame? I would be very careful here. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Senseless Scammy Sandy

Brian Smith
10-09-2005, 10:43 PM
That really is a Ti Serotta tandem frame.
It does not have a fork, and would require an appropriate fork being built for it. I think that both steerer diameter and fork length/span are unusual in specification for it. That plus the odd sizing makes it a cheap price but not something you can just buy, assemble, and ride. The sizing is odd in appearance. It is old, but doesn't appear in person to have been used much.

Needs Help
10-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Serotta would know nothing about this frame? Why not?
Because Serotta doens't have records on all the frames they built.

Smiley
10-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Thats Serotta Mikes bike , my guess is it was the one sitting up in the guest house in storage . My opinion is stick with a tandem builder if you want a tandem . Now if this rig fits you and you know a thing or two about building it up including getting a proper fork built for it ( call Co-Mo ) , then go for it but don't expect a re-sale value any better then what you bought it for . best of luck .

Too Tall
10-10-2005, 07:25 AM
It is not wierd sizing to my eye. It is for two compact riders with a good compartment in the back for the stoker to get a flat back without smacking their head into the captn'. The design is right as it could be...I'd never want a tandem made from Ti however it is probably as good as it gets. Unless you guys know something I don't there are 3 1" 1/8" forks that you can order...not custom and will work.

Every person I know with a Ti tandem hates it regardless of who made it.

93legendti
10-10-2005, 09:43 AM
It would fit me and my wife (who is taller than me)...I'm intrigued! TT, I did not understand your post...do you think forks are available or are not available for this frame?

David Kirk
10-10-2005, 10:10 AM
I can't be 100% sure but I think I designed and co-built this frame. I beleive Andy did the welding and I did most everything else.

I have no idea what the spec's are. I'll bet the drawings ( full size on paper) were lost long ago.

We assembled a Ti tandem for a velonews test article and it weighed 33lbs and was pretty darn stiff.

It's total guess that I wouldn't want to be held to but I'll bet the fork is standard old school non- suspension corrected MTB fork span.

Dave

zap
10-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I have that velonews insert which also included an article on the Hooker tt tandem. That Serotta tandem was equipped with ZAP :banana:

If I'm not mistaken, the Serotta Ti tandem frame was designed to use a standard CoMo fork? I'm far from home so I'll check out the specs in the mentioned article next week.

David Kirk
10-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah those bikes had steel uni-crown forks.

Dave

Kevan
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Why is the captain's bb shell oversized compared to the stoker's? Isn't there a lot more going on drivetrain-wise beneath the stoker, suggesting a larger/stronger bb be used there rather than under the lead rider's spot?

David Kirk
10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
The front BB is set up for an eccentric to adjust the chain betweent the front and the rear BB's. It's not actually any stronger it's just big to allow room for the eccentric.

Dave

Kevan
10-10-2005, 11:51 AM
of course, that makes complete sense. I should have thought it through.

93legendti
10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
can't quite believe you can get this much titanium with Serotta decals on it for only $850. If it fit me, I'd buy and search for someone to be the stoker.

http://classifieds.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Road&website=RoadbikeReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=55821&query=retrieval

Is this for real or is it scammy?

Thanks for posting this. I just bought it. Happy B-day to me!!! :)

Too Tall
10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Good on yah man. Yes, tandem forks are available. Look at wound up, they are butt ugly however I think that is the right stuff. If you are not carbon-adverse the FSA Team Pro tandem cranks are super nice and turbo terrrrrific ;) No fooling. Great project, keep us in the loop ok?

weisan
10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for posting this. I just bought it. Happy B-day to me!!! :)
Legend-pal, did we miss the party??? :rolleyes:
I thought it was "the old man" who's celebrating today.

93legendti
10-10-2005, 05:06 PM
My B-day is later in the month...but this will start the celebration!!

93legendti
10-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Good on yah man. Yes, tandem forks are available. Look at wound up, they are butt ugly however I think that is the right stuff. If you are not carbon-adverse the FSA Team Pro tandem cranks are super nice and turbo terrrrrific ;) No fooling. Great project, keep us in the loop ok?

Thanks. It looks like the fork distance from crown race to axle might be 405mm--longer than Alpha Q and Wound Up (I won't know till I get it in hand). So I might have to go with a custom steel fork. I already have FSA cranks on 2 of my Serottas and a quick search indicates FSA is the only place to get a 172.5mm crank--which is what I use. So I will most likely go with FSA's. (The 175's on my Santana tandem never felt 100%.) The rear axle spacing is 135mm, so I have a call into Mike Garcia and need to check with Jeremy@Alchemy on tandem wheels.

Most of the Santana stuff probably will not fit, so I will probably go with Thompson seatposts, ITM bars, CK headset, etc. This should be fun. I will post pics along the way.

Gotta give a thumbs up for my wife...once again I said: "Honey, I am thinking of buying a new frame".

My wife: "O.K., no problem."

I said: Don't you want to know what it costs?".

My wife: "No.".

What a woman!!

vaxn8r
10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
No offense to Dave Kirk, but I've ridden tandems for 20 years, several of which were ti including Santana and Ibis. I wouldn't go near a ti tandem. Way too flexy. I don't think you can engineer a ti tandem to not be flexy AND still have it weigh in at 33 pounds. It's the wrong material for the job....unless you only use it for bike path rides. It is going to be a twisty bike under any load, probably with phantom shifts and lots of drivetrain noises.

BTW, the Santana ti I rode had a claimed weight of 32 pounds. My home scales weighed out at 38 pounds without pedals. Hmmmm....I wouldn't do it.

znfdl
10-10-2005, 06:53 PM
I have one of the Santana Ti tandems and I agree that it is too wippy with two adults on the bike. However, it is perfect for a child stoker. With a child stoker it is quite a nice tandem.

93legendti
10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
What size are the ti tandems you guys are referring to?

Smiley
10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
93 Legend Ti , I did not have the guts to tell you this either . Fact is Aluminum is a BETTER material for a tandem then Ti or Steel in my mind . I have flexed a Steel Co-Mo and sold that bad boy in favor of my Aluminum Co-Mo , Co-Mo acknowledged this fact and beefed up the lateral's on the Cappucinno for this reason . No freaking flex with my triple butted Al Capp though . Again , stick with tandem builders , you'll be happier in the long run . You may be happy with the Serotta tandem based on your stoker and riding style . Titanium today maybe OK based on the super Big round tubes that are available , I think Too Tall's Legend Ti was built with some of these tubes , they were not around when that tandem was built though . Best of luck .

93legendti
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
It is ok .. for the amount invested, the experiment won't be too painful to the wallet. Besides in a 53 cm frame, at my weight, it is hard to find a noodle. My Santana flexes, so we shall see....

Peter B
10-10-2005, 09:17 PM
to build a light, capable ti tandem. A friend just bought a ti Habanero from Mark Hickey. He did the Knoxville Double for a post-build shake down 3 weeks ago and rode it to a new mixed tandem course record on the Furnace Creek 508 last weekend--31:26:51. That course has ~36,000 ft of climbing (and descending). Granted the team is lean and light but they raved about the handling and the ride and as I recall it weighs <30 lbs built.

Smiley
10-11-2005, 06:36 AM
the operative word is TODAY , many frame builders have larger tubes at their disposal , my point is WHY since you can build up an Aluminum Santana or Co-Mo for a lower price and its lighter and stiffer . Aluminum has come a long way for tandems with Easton series 7005 triple butted tubes which is what Co-Mo used on my rig . I did need to go up one tire size to soften the ride a bit but no regrets and no looking back .

Sandy
10-11-2005, 06:48 AM
to build a light, capable ti tandem. A friend just bought a ti Habanero from Mark Hickey. He did the Knoxville Double for a post-build shake down 3 weeks ago and rode it to a new mixed tandem course record on the Furnace Creek 508 last weekend--31:26:51. That course has ~36,000 ft of climbing (and descending). Granted the team is lean and light but they raved about the handling and the ride and as I recall it weighs <30 lbs built.

Too Tall, how about you and Slightly Shorter showing them what a really fast tandem team can do. :)

Sandy

93legendti
10-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, my dream has ended. Mike and I realized that the captain's seat tube, although 53 cm c-t-c, extended to 59 cm--way too much for someone my size. Maybe this is a sign that I should buy a CoMotion Periscope so my daughter can ride with me... :)

BTW, my local Serotta dealer has sold a couple of Serotta ti tandems to larger riders that race and the feedback that has come back is that the tandems are plenty stiff.

vaxn8r
10-11-2005, 02:33 PM
BTW, my local Serotta dealer has sold a couple of Serotta ti tandems to larger riders that race and the feedback that has come back is that the tandems are plenty stiff.
I believe you can build a ti tandem with enough stiffness to race. I doubt you can do it and keep the weight down. There's claimed weights and real weights, as you are well aware. IMO there's better materials to build a racing tandem.

FWIW, my buddy has a Ibis ti and loves it. But he mostly rides it with his kids and occasionally with his wife who is not a cyclist.

zap
10-11-2005, 03:41 PM
There is one Ti tandem frame that by some reports is worthy. CoMo's creation from a few years ago. I suspect Serotta's might be quite good due to that second lateral tubeset.

MikeS
10-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Just so you know the weight on that frame, weighed with my Ultimate scale (accurate) is 7.51lbs. It is still available as it didn't fit 93legendti. If anyone is interested please contact me. I really have no use for it and I do not want to have to move with this frame.

csm
10-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm interested.