PDA

View Full Version : For all you thomson fans - bars.

Dromen
10-05-2012, 09:28 AM
http://bikethomson.com/thomsonhandlebars/road/

benc
10-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately not yet made in the USA. Plans are to bring production here in a couple of years. Thomson in-house carbon.... just imagine the possibilities

BumbleBeeDave
10-05-2012, 10:12 AM
. . at Gloucester cross. They look like same old carbon bars everybody else has. Should be interesting to see if they measure up to the tradition of durability and quality of Thompson's steel offerings.

BBD

slidey
10-05-2012, 10:15 AM
& Thompson :banana:

JeffS
10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I have been struggling to understand the enthusiasm surrounding this release. Granted, much of it is coming from the press, but certainly not all.

There has been virtually no discussion about the bars themselves. Dimensions, designs, etc - on road or mtb forum. The exuberance is solely about the logo.

AngryScientist
10-05-2012, 10:39 AM
the reason I, and many others choose thomson for posts and stems is because we want a high quality product that IS NOT carbon fiber. thomson gained fame from making relatively lightweight very high quality alloy parts.

their strength is with a niche of cyclists who arent interested in the latest and greatest super lightweight carbon fiber goodies, why they are turning their back on that niche and introducing carbon bars is beyond me??:confused:

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
the reason I, and many others choose thomson for posts and stems is because we want a high quality product that IS NOT carbon fiber. thomson gained fame from making relatively lightweight very high quality alloy parts.

their strength is with a niche of cyclists who arent interested in the latest and greatest super lightweight carbon fiber goodies, why they are turning their back on that niche and introducing carbon bars is beyond me??:confused:

Exactly. Make an alloy bar, in silver, (with a classic bend :rolleyes:) in the US, with similar engineering and quality as the stems and posts (I have both on 3 of my bikes, impeccable stuff) and they won't be able to keep up with demand. I know akelman, joachim and myself would be good for at least a dozen! :rolleyes:

Fishbike
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Exactly. Make an alloy bar, in silver, (with a classic bend :rolleyes:) in the US, with similar engineering and quality as the stems and posts (I have both on 3 of my bikes, impeccable stuff) and they won't be able to keep up with demand. I know akelman, joachim and myself would be good for at least a dozen! :rolleyes:

The truth. And make a compact silver bar for 26.0 as well and sell even more.

that guy
10-05-2012, 11:32 AM
. . at Gloucester cross. They look like same old carbon bars everybody else has. Should be interesting to see if they measure up to the tradition of durability and quality of Thompson's steel offerings.

BBD

Thomson doesn't actually make anything out of steel.

The real story behind the new carbon parts is that something like 90% of Thomson's business is aerospace, and the aerospace industry needs carbon. So Thomson is getting its feet wet with bike parts first, with the plan to bring everything to the US in a few years.

And besides, it's not like they're going to stop making the alloy stuff anyway.

FlashUNC
10-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I'll be in the minority as not a huge fan of their posts.

I don't see why this should be viewed as turning their back on their alloy fans. They're still making alloy stuff, this is more about expanding their offerings and the folks who might be customers.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-06-2012, 08:01 AM
The truth. And make a compact silver bar for 26.0 as well and sell even more.

+1. Good to know I'm not the only curmudgeon who still has a bike with a 26.0 bar (and a (soon to own) bike with a 26.4 Cinelli bar/quill stem) :rolleyes:.

Bruce K
10-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Actually while Dave was checking out Nicole Duke and Caroline Mani I was talking with the Thompson guys about the bars

They have a cross specific bar with alternate cable routing to account for top tube mounted cables and other oddities if cross bikes. Fatter and round with the back diff of the bars flattened. The are also a different layup for added strength etc

The road bars are more aero shaped similar to other carbon bars

BK

jamaris
10-06-2012, 11:22 AM

+1 or +4; the whole carbon thing is very confusing, not to mention the sick 250 price tag. While 90 isnt cheap for stem or posts, its also not 250