PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Columbus Minimal Forks on Wiggle(UK)

carlucci1106
10-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Hey ladies and gentlemen: Was checking out Columbus Minimal a little more and was trying to find axle-to-crown length because as D.K. says, the newer forks tend to mess with geometry on CSI, Legends, etc with 1" F-1 forks.

What I discovered measuring mine is that the axle-to-crown is actually 370. I would like to know if any one else gets this measurement. The application: the Columbus minimal comes in at 369 according to bikeradar.com, and is available in a 45mm rake. So if I am correct, the F-1 (usually 43mm rake unless you have a 52 or smaller predating 1998-- 55mm rake) is not all that far off the Minimal. My main concern with "upgrading" an F-1 is that it is a great performer in anyone's opinion, and not having tried many other carbon forks, I wouldn't want to take the risk if the ride quality wasn't almost as good.

The Columbus fork (carbon steerer) and a threadless stem upgrade will save an average of about a lb. for medium to larger frames with the F-1. Now with my tiny headtube (~9.5cm), I have a lot less steel steerer than a bigger framed CSI.

I have concluded that the fork upgrade will be a lot of hassle for some weight savings. Thus, I have opted to upgrade my wheelset to a Dura-Ace C24 Clincher Set :banana:. The 3/4 lb. I will save in the wheels will feel lighter than the 3/4 lb. I would save in the headtube ATMO.

In addition, I pontificate that the F-1 belongs on certain bikes: the classic CSI for instance. An early Legend. If it was a Fierte with a carbon stay, who gives a hoot. Throw Easton all over that bad boy :p

Feel free to discuss your thoughts on this subject... Does anyone think the fork "upgrade" is absolutely keen? That it's better than the wheelset upgrade?

One last thought: the paint on my fork, I noticed today is painted Serotta's "MIdnight" which is a VERY dark blue. This nuance was what custom was all about as it matches the frame's bottom fade. Replace with carbon weave? A tough little first-world dilemma indeed.

I digressed... Minimal forks on Wiggle go for 225 shipped to the US. Pretty good deal

kentileguy
10-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately they"re out of stock at Wiggle and everywhere else it seems. Does anyone know where I can buy these (1" steerer) ? I recently sold a pristine 1" Easton fork because I gave up searching for a vintage Ti frame...which fell into my lap last week

Keith A
10-05-2012, 10:07 AM
kentileguy -- I would say you have three options: post a WTB here, look on eBay and check out Ritchey's 1" fork (http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=451879)

phcollard
10-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately they"re out of stock at Wiggle and everywhere else it seems. Does anyone know where I can buy these (1" steerer) ? I recently sold a pristine 1" Easton fork because I gave up searching for a vintage Ti frame...which fell into my lap last week

I got mine from Ceeway (framebuilding supplies) http://www.framebuilding.com/carbon%20forks.htm

A bit more expensive but they have it in stock and it comes with the expander.

There was a recent discussion about this fork :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=115861&page=2

Keith A
10-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I forgot to mention, there are also WoundUp and Serotta as options.

carlucci1106
10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
The bike looks great! Pretty sure the fork will hold up. I did read several places that it met strict safety specs. So let us know how you think it rides when you got some miles on it! Thanks! Open and closed. :)