PDA

View Full Version : 9-speed chain recommendations

rw229
10-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I just replaced a well worn Sram PC-971 with a brand new one. Six miles out, it snapped pulling out from an intersection. Needless to say my ride went to s!@# and I spent the remainder of my evening coasting/walking home. I'm somewhat surprised as I have a lot of miles on the same chain.

Any recommendations on a reliable, silver, 9-speed Shimano/Sram compatible chain?

jtakeda
10-04-2012, 09:56 PM
I snapped my somewhat new (not nearly as new as yours SRAM chain today too! I went ultegra ill let you know how it goes.

Louis
10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
rw, where did it fail? If it was where you joined the ends, then it's more likely to be operator error rather than a bad chain.

rw229
10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
About 8-10 links from the quick-link, so that's not the case.

rw, where did it fail? If it was where you joined the ends, then it's more likely to be operator error rather than a bad chain.

Louis
10-04-2012, 10:20 PM
About 8-10 links from the quick-link, so that's not the case.

In that case, it sounds like a chain quality issue.

I've been using Ultegra and DA 9-spd chains for years (can't remember the exact part numbers) and have never had a problem. I also use (and even re-use) quick-links, in my case SRAM gold, and they've been great. They idiot-proof the rejoining, and in general make life simpler.

rw229
10-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah, it's a quality issue, seriously disappointing. Good thing I didn't pitch the old one yet, it's stretched but at least not broken.

The gold quick links are solid. I've disconnected/reconnected the old one probably 1/2 a dozen times without issue. (even though SRAM says not to)

We'll see how the vendor or SRAM handles this. I may try a Shimano chain, but I don't think they use a quick link, which is a nice convenience.

In that case, it sounds like a chain quality issue.

I've been using Ultegra and DA 9-spd chains for years (can't remember the exact part numbers) and have never had a problem. I also use (and even re-use) quick-links, in my case SRAM gold, and they've been great. They idiot-proof the rejoining, and in general make life simpler.

rustychisel
10-04-2012, 10:53 PM
put a quick link (Connex or whatever) in a Shimano 9sp chain. No problem, sorted.

Louis
10-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I may try a Shimano chain, but I don't think they use a quick link, which is a nice convenience.

As RustyC says, you can use a quick-link with no problems on a Shimano chain. I use the SRAM gold on my 9-spd Shimano chains with no issues.

roydyates
10-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I've been using KMC 9 and 10 speed chains lately. I thinkthe 9 speed chain is an X9 or something. They seem as good as any other, they include a quicklink and they're pretty cheap.

bart998
10-05-2012, 03:26 AM
I had exactly the same experience last year with a Sram 9-speed chain. Broke four links from the quick-link.

Birddog
10-05-2012, 06:46 AM
KMC for 9 and 10 spd. It's hard to beat their bang for the buck.

DRZRM
10-05-2012, 07:35 AM
If you can find them the Shimano DA/XTR chain is awesome.

oldpotatoe
10-05-2012, 08:14 AM
put a quick link (Connex or whatever) in a Shimano 9sp chain. No problem, sorted.

Least expensive compatible chain,shimano 5701, KMC. Both great chains. Not impressed by SRAM chains, any of them.

Keith A
10-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Least expensive compatible chain,shimano 5701, KMC. Both great chains. Not impressed by SRAM chains, any of them.Why is that? I thought the SRAM chains were regarded among the best? Has there been a change in their production/design?

oldpotatoe
10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Why is that? I thought the SRAM chains were regarded among the best? Has there been a change in their production/design?

How many posts above talked about breaking sram chains? 3......

I hear too many tales of broken sram chains so I don't take that chance with a customer...Campagnolo, KMC, shimano chains are what I sell, sell many, they do not come back broken.

dana_e
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am runnning 9 speed friction on one of my bikes

I have a nine sped campy cogset and am dusing a SRAm PC 51 chain

The SRAM cahin is 5.9

Campy nine speed is 5.8

Am I cool with this set-up?

even though it is a SRAM product

DHallerman
10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
I've been using Ultegra and DA 9-spd chains for years (can't remember the exact part numbers) and have never had a problem.

If you can find them the Shimano DA/XTR chain is awesome.

I'm with Louis. I use the Shimano brand 9-speed chains all the time, and never have problems. Two things: I do used the supplied pin to initially link the chain and I do not remove the chain for cleaning.

And finding the chains is easy. In fact, for some reason that's not clear, the price on the Dura-Ace (7701) chain is less than on the nine-speed Ultegra chain. That's been true at several retailers.

Dave, who finds the Park CT-3 chain tool (http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/pt6pc2-1.jpg) with the center saddle is the best one for installing that Shimano pin

GRAVELBIKE
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
KMC X9.93 or X9.99 -- both work well, are durable, and don't cost an arm/leg.

tannhauser
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Yeah, the bike shop kids love to tell me Sram chains are great...

I say ok, you ride it. I'll get a KMC from my friend's shop, who happens to be the only guy to sell them in a huge swath of real estate.

Fabian took one for the team. Thanks again Fabs.

Another friend who owns a shop told me to park my expensive wheel into his rickety, makeshift bike rack thing. Uh, no. The above story has nothing to do with the previous, but functions as my rant for/against LBSes for the day.

Have a nice weekend.

zandrrr
10-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I will be the dissenter. I exclusively use SRAM chains. :eek::banana:

Keith A
10-05-2012, 03:34 PM

I hear too many tales of broken sram chains so I don't take that chance with a customer...Campagnolo, KMC, shimano chains are what I sell, sell many, they do not come back broken.Just because a few people reported a broken SRAM chain here doesn't give you a real indication if this is a significant problem or not. How many chains does SRAM sale? Thousands maybe...more? I've been through a bunch of myself, but never had one break. Which is why I asking you if you had noticed a drop off in the quality of SRAM chains.

dana_e
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
works with Campy nine OK?

bart998
10-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm running campy nine... no probs except the link coming apart (not a link that was taken apart).

bart998
10-05-2012, 04:03 PM

I hear too many tales of broken sram chains so I don't take that chance with a customer...Campagnolo, KMC, shimano chains are what I sell, sell many, they do not come back broken.

I NEVER broke a chain before... but once I removed the bad link, no probs. I thought Sram took over for sedis, they were always good.

dana_e
10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I use the rohloff chain checker and have never broken a chain

but I use wipperman when running 10 click

oldpotatoe
10-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Just because a few people reported a broken SRAM chain here doesn't give you a real indication if this is a significant problem or not. How many chains does SRAM sale? Thousands maybe...more? I've been through a bunch of myself, but never had one break. Which is why I asking you if you had noticed a drop off in the quality of SRAM chains.

I know it's anecdotal, what I 'hear' and it's a small sample but I don't hear of Campagnolo, KMC, shimano chains breaking. So as a retailer, I choose to sell the later 3.

Keith A
10-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I know it's anecdotal, what I 'hear' and it's a small sample but I don't hear of Campagnolo, KMC, shimano chains breaking. So as a retailer, I choose to sell the later 3.That's exactly what I was interested in knowing. Thanks.