PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Blackwell?

Lewis Moon
10-04-2012, 08:47 AM
So...I was thrutching around on e-bay looking for a 100mm stem for the cross bike (fer cheap) when I ran across one that looked like it would do. It was a Blackwell and looked from the pics to be CNCed. Since it was only around $8.50 shipped, I took the chance. What I got was a really nicely machined and finished stem that I estimate weighs just a bit more than my 3T Arx, but is stouter at the clamps. As I was mounting it I thought the bolts felt a bit low mass...lo and behold, a magnet doesn't stick to them. Wow, a US made (I think), CNC'ed stem with Ti bolts for less than $10 shipped. :banana:

malcolm
10-04-2012, 09:19 AM
So...I was thrutching around on e-bay looking for a 100mm stem for the cross bike (fer cheap) when I ran across one that looked like it would do. It was a Blackwell and looked from the pics to be CNCed. Since it was only around $8.50 shipped, I took the chance. What I got was a really nicely machined and finished stem that I estimate weighs just a bit more than my 3T Arx, but is stouter at the clamps. As I was mounting it I thought the bolts felt a bit low mass...lo and behold, a magnet doesn't stick to them. Wow, a US made (I think), CNC'ed stem with Ti bolts for less than $10 shipped. :banana:

$8.50 sure it isn't paper mache?

wasfast
10-04-2012, 09:20 AM
If Blackwell Research, it was a rebranding company that catered to the tri community. John Cobb was part of it along with an investor. They folded about 3-4 years ago.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Blackwell_Research_on_the_brink_513.html

Lewis Moon
10-04-2012, 09:30 AM
If Blackwell Research, it was a rebranding company that catered to the tri community. John Cobb was part of it along with an investor. They folded about 3-4 years ago.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Blackwell_Research_on_the_brink_513.html

That's gotta be it.

Rebranding?

davidb
10-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Many, if not most, parts are made by another party for the named company. Giant for example makes many high end carbon frames for other companies. Blackwell did not actually make anything in a production capacity. Some other company made it for them.

jmoore
10-04-2012, 10:46 AM
A friend of mine had a Blackwell cockpit on one of his bikes. He loved it. It looked to be nice stuff and he didn't have any problems with it that I know of.