PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay Frogs--Finicky. Are they actually better than SPDs?

NRRider
10-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I've given these pedals a lot of time and attention. Turning the screw ever so slightly in different directions. My feet keep popping out.
In full disclosure, I bought them used, but would that cause them to release, given that their supposed to be adjustable with the screw?
On a related question, I've never had this issue on my MTB with SPDs. Anyone knopw why I should prefer Frogs over SPDs?

christian
10-03-2012, 05:15 PM
AFAIK there is absolutely nothing adjustable about Frogs release. I love them, though they clear mud for ****, so are bad for cx. But if your heels swing around, maybe you'd have odd releases?

bironi
10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
AFAIK there is absolutely nothing adjustable about Frogs release. I love them, though they clear mud for ****, so are bad for cx. But if your heels swing around, maybe you'd have odd releases?

I believe the newer models have an adjustment screw on the back side of the cleat. I have been using them for years with no complaint. I love the easy entry and exit. Some like a more locked in feel.

eddief
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
if your cleats are old, sometimes the rubber bumper under the little square metal insert at the front of the cleat loses some of its snap in abilitly. you can play with it and put a piece of an old tube under it. that can work for a while. parts are a bit pricy, but i ain't changing.

mtechnica
10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
No other MTB system is better than SPD

Bradford
10-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Its the cleat. It is either old and worn or you screwed it in too tight and compressed the rubber piece. The rubber piece needs to push out the cleat so it locks...if it is compressed too much, it doesn't catch.

Try taking off the cleat, making sure the rubber piece is in the right position, and then re-attach without tightening too much and see if that helps. If the rubber is mangled, try new cleats.

AgilisMerlin
10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
yes

khjr
10-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Your results are the opposite of mine - I would frequently twist out of the SPDs on climbs due to a quirky heel twist that I have in my stroke under strain. Never had any issues with unwanted release with Frogs, and totally love their free float. Recommend trying new cleats before giving up on Frogs. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Ginger
10-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Its the cleat. It is either old and worn or you screwed it in too tight and compressed the rubber piece. The rubber piece needs to push out the cleat so it locks...if it is compressed too much, it doesn't catch.

Try taking off the cleat, making sure the rubber piece is in the right position, and then re-attach without tightening too much and see if that helps. If the rubber is mangled, try new cleats.

Ding! We have a winner.

I rode frogs for years, thought they were the best thing...much better for me than spds except for that worn rubber part. then they sucked

Then I switched to Crank bros egg beaters and am SO happy I did. Only issue I have with them is if you miss the pedal and hit your instep. it hurts lots.

NRRider
10-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Sounds like I need to try new cleats.
Thanks guys.

nighthawk
10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
I have frogs on my dirt road bike, and I like them a lot. I had to play with angling the cleats to get a float that I felt secure with. To do this I had to cut a tiny bit (about 1-2mm) of rubber off my shoe bottom (mavic mtb shoes).. but once I got the angle dialed in... They felt great. Don't even have to think about them... (unless I walk through any mud.)