PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ergo body on 10s Chorus Shifter. What are my options?

4Rings6Stars
10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't really want to spend $80 to get this left side ergo back up and running...

What are my options? Do I need to find another body specifically from a "Carbon BB system" 10s Ergo or will others work? Say I buy a Veloce 10s with trashed internals, could I swap my Chorus guts/blades into it?

Since it is a left/front shifter, I suppose I could just get a complete 9s Chorus alloy ergo and replace it. Might not be a bad option because I've never actually pulled an Ergo apart and I would probably screw something up...

I've searched Jensonusa, brandfordbikes...etc. and they all appear to be out of stock.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Campagnolo-Record-Ultra-Ergo-Lever-Body

(tried super glue when it was just a crack...let it cure and gave the lever a hard pull to test it. SNAP).
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/100_1598.jpg
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/100_1600.jpg
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/100_1601.jpg

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
PM oldpotatoe. Peter deals with this kinda thing, all the time. He'll have you answer/options.

christian
10-03-2012, 03:20 PM
1) Shoegoo.

Too soon?

astaft
10-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Could you use this from universalcycles and swap out your shift lever? Although it is $103

Pre 08 Record 10 Speed (Left)

Item #:50059-117219

Mfg #: EC-RE201

4Rings6Stars
10-03-2012, 04:12 PM
The issue with spending $100 and an hour + fiddling with it is that I can buy a complete set of Chorus or Record 10 ergos for $150-175 if I'm patient...

lhuerta
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
PM oldpotatoe. Peter deals with this kinda thing, all the time. He'll have you answer/options.

+1...he da man!

oldpotatoe
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Bearing innards so different thru bolt than the bushing ones(Veloce)..if ya get a Veloce thru bolt, you can put all the Chorus guts into the Veloce body.

I have them, BTW-

Left and rights, Record/Chorus, Veloce...
$75

45K10
10-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I might have one you can have. I just moved a couple of months ago so I am not sure exactly where it is but if you are interested PM me and I will look for it.

rustychisel
10-03-2012, 07:29 PM
1) Shoegoo.

Too soon?

I snarfeled.

Send your donation to the Paul Kimmage defense fund.

Louis
10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
1) Shoegoo.

Too soon?

I don't know how Jim will ever live that one down.

martinrjensen
10-03-2012, 09:03 PM
shoegoo won't work. Nothing will on that kind of break.You have to at least replace the part1) Shoegoo.

Too soon?

4Rings6Stars
10-03-2012, 09:18 PM
shoegoo won't work. Nothing will on that kind of break.You have to at least replace the part

Those comments were in jest, referring to a another thread about repairing tubular tires.

And I would have to at least replace the part? What would I have to do beyond that? A seance? Sacrifice my roommate's cat?

martinrjensen
10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Well you could replace the whole shifter, but you don't need to so I guess I was saying that the minimum you would do was replace the individual part. I didn't realize you were joking or I wouldn't have mentioned it.
I have see a a lot of really bad replies where it's obvious that someone didn't understand the physical aspects of glue and what it can do. Some types of breaks can be fixed by glue mainly ones that break length wise but essentially breaks straight across, nothing can fix it short of replacing it. I know this but continually find it amazing by the amount of people who don't and didn't realize you were joking, and for that I apologize .Those comments were in jest, referring to a another thread about repairing tubular tires.

And I would have to at least replace the part? What would I have to do beyond that? A seance? Sacrifice my roommate's cat?

4Rings6Stars
10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Well you could replace the whole shifter, but you don't need to so I guess I was saying that the minimum you would do was replace the individual part. I didn't realize you were joking or I wouldn't have mentioned it.
I have see a a lot of really bad replies where it's obvious that someone didn't understand the physical aspects of glue and what it can do. Some types of breaks can be fixed by glue mainly ones that break length wise but essentially breaks straight across, nothing can fix it short of replacing it. I know this but continually find it amazing by the amount of people who don't and didn't realize you were joking, and for that I apologize .

No worries, my reply to you was in jest as well. I need to get better at using the smilies I think...:mad:

Wait, no, that doesn't help. Howzabout this? :p

oldpotatoe
10-04-2012, 09:29 AM
No worries, my reply to you was in jest as well. I need to get better at using the smilies I think...:mad:

Wait, no, that doesn't help. Howzabout this? :p

Send it to me and I'll swap the guts to a new body labor freebie-just pay for shipping and the body.

IF you need shift springs or anything like that I'll let ya know-

for a formite.

DreaminJohn
10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Send it to me and I'll swap the guts to a new body labor freebie-just pay for shipping and the body.

for a formite.

This stuff gives me hope that this might be the same ol' Forum it used to be.

Good on ya, Pete. May it be returned in kind somehow, some day.

4Rings6Stars
10-04-2012, 11:15 AM

for a formite.

Thanks so much for the offer. VERY generous. Like John mentions above, awesome gesture and your presence makes this forum a better place.

I actually got ANOTHER very generous offer from forum member 45K10 who is shipping me (for free) an Ergo body from Vancouver.

If I run into trouble doing the swap, I'll be sure to ask here/ask oldpotatoe for guidance.

ctcyclistbob
10-04-2012, 12:24 PM
There's lots of goodwill in the air today, nice that the OP is taken care of. Kudos to both Ol' P and the member from Vancouver.