PDA

View Full Version : vasectomy and cycling

whforrest
10-03-2012, 02:18 PM
this is a sensitive discussion...............but how long did some of you wait until you got back on the saddle.

thanks in advance, Bill

Louis
10-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Is that something they do using toothpicks and Elmer's glue? :p

Good luck.

nighthawk
10-03-2012, 02:24 PM
V's are free in the state of RI. I always thought they should be required there. :eek:

Sorry, no help here.

JasonF
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Depends on the doc and your own personal recovery. I actually drove my stick shift car home from the procedure and I was working out within a week (not cycling, but weight training)....the incisions are in a "very sensitive" area and so I would be the doc would tell you not to saddle up until the sutures have dissolved or removed.

Good luck and don't forget the frozen peas!

christian
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
About 2 weeks before any riding. 3 weeks until I was back to usual mileage. That was the only downside. Otherwise, a piece of cake.

Matt-H
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
About 2-3 weeks for me, too. No problems.

john segal
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Couple of weeks. Scheduled it for January.

fairwent
10-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Doc for me said 10 days. I waited - no problems. A friend of mine jumped back on the bike after a few - big problems. A few extra days off can't really hurt.

texbike
10-03-2012, 03:11 PM
A week for me but I took it REALLY easy for the first couple of weeks after.

Dr. Chopp (his real name by the way) said that a week should be enough time.

Texbike

christian
10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
John Segal, texbike, and me in one thread. Only time this has ever happened when a Merckx wasn't the topic. I'm sure of it. Check the archives.

GuyGadois
10-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Back on bike in two weeks. Tears ended from sitting on bike saddle three or four weeks. Babies since surgery zero.

GG

Mine was performed by Dr. Johnson. He liked to listen to the radio during the cutting. I thought it very ironic when Barry White came on.

GregL
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Two to three days on the couch, a bag of frozen peas cooling the incised area. Gently exercising (walking and upper body weights) at the end of week one. Back on the bike ten days post-procedure. Easy spinning at first, back to harder efforts by the end of week three. No long term issues (or additional kids).

- Greg

christian
10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
This should be merged with the Acorn bags thread.

OperaLover
10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
First time was done by a family practitioner; a no suture snip and cauterize. Waited the prescribed 3-weeks. Riding was fine

Second time. Full on surgery by urologist. About 1-2 cms of vas deferens removed both ends sutured. He must have nicked a vein bcause despite rest and frozen peas I head a serrious hematoma and I bruised all the way to my hip. Waited 4-weeks this time. It was tender, but not a problem commuting.

Yes, child no. 3 conceived one year later despite first vasectomy. Yes, I did go back with a "sample" as required. The "miracle baby" is now 6 yo and one sweet nice boy. Loved by all and I would not trade him for anything. (Second v was free! LOL!)

Sometimes God has other plans; it's all good!

texbike
10-03-2012, 03:56 PM
John Segal, texbike, and me in one thread. Only time this has ever happened when a Merckx wasn't the topic. I'm sure of it. Check the archives.

Meh... We're still discussing tubing. :)

Texbike

texbike
10-03-2012, 03:57 PM
First time was done by a family practitioner; a no suture snip and cauterize. Waited the prescribed 3-weeks. Riding was fine

Second time. Full on surgery by urologist. About 1-2 cms of vas deferens removed both ends sutured. He must have nicked a vein bcause despite rest and frozen peas I head a serrious hematoma and I bruised all the way to my hip. Waited 4-weeks this time. It was tender, but not a problem commuting.

Yes, child no. 3 conceived one year later despite first vasectomy. Yes, I did go back with a "sample" as required. The "miracle baby" is now 6 yo and one sweet nice boy. Loved by all and I would not trade him for anything. (Second v was free! LOL!)

Sometimes God has other plans; it's all good!

LOL! Great story about #3. Congrats!

Texbike

bikerboy337
10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT EASY THE DAY OR TWO AFTERWARDS!!!

I was on my bike 2 weeks later, full mileage 3 weeks out. I took 2 days off, on the couch, with ice and motrin and it was the best thing to do... you'll feel pretty good the next day, no real pain, not sore.. .just tender... dont push it... everyone i know that pushed it was in for a long recovery... my brother was out running the kids around to soccer/basketball the next day because he felt fine and really messed himself up and was down and out for a few weeks after that.....

all in all, its an easy procedure and well worth it! Best thing that every happened to me and the Mrs. :banana:

Liv2RideHard
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Not a big deal like other have already indicated.

Had mine scheduled for a Friday. The day before I was to have the procedure done...found out we were having twins. The Man upstairs had other plans for us. The twins are 14 months and walking now. Such a Blessing. We wouldn't change a thing. It was meant to be and the happiness they have brought into our lives cannot be measured.

I was on the bike 10 or so days after the snip snip was done. KEEP THE PEAS DOWN THERE AS DIRECTED. You will regret it if you don't. Back to my normal routine after a few weeks. Getting back on the bike was my biggest concern too. Won't be a problem.

cloudguy
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I had mine on Wed. and rode for 2 hours on Saturday...probably should have waited a little longer, but no more than a week.

oldpotatoe
10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
this is a sensitive discussion...............but how long did some of you wait until you got back on the saddle.

thanks in advance, Bill

Got mine in 1978...runner then, not a cyclist but got it on Friday, ran on Sunday..just wear jockeys, no problema.

It was more uncomfortable getting 'tested' to see if it took...having a nurse hand me the wee bottle and pointed towards the bathroom.

Liv2RideHard
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
It was more uncomfortable getting 'tested' to see if it took...having a nurse hand me the wee bottle and pointed towards the bathroom.

Also uncomfy when you have to drop your pants for an incision inspection and the nurse is hawt. Could go either way tho.

oldpotatoe
10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Also uncomfy when you have to drop your pants for an incision inspection and the nurse is hawt. Could go either way tho.

I asked her if the sample could have saliva in it, then winked at her.....I DID, when I was young..and women didn't call the cops over such a thing.

1978!!

I Want Sachs?
10-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Which saddle? :)

CaliFly
10-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I asked her if the sample could have saliva in it, then winked at her.....I DID, when I was young..and women didn't call the cops over such a thing.

1978!!

*Afternoon coffee out of nose*

whforrest
10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
thanks for sharing

1978!!

crownjewelwl
10-03-2012, 06:10 PM
This thread is depressing me :no:

christian
10-03-2012, 06:19 PM
This thread is depressing me :no:
Seriously, being off the bike for a few weeks is not that bad. Just plan it as part of a macrocycle and you'll come back even more energized to train hard.

dvs cycles
10-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I could not even think of lycra and a bike saddle for a full 3 weeks.

crownjewelwl
10-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Seriously, being off the bike for a few weeks is not that bad. Just plan it as part of a macrocycle and you'll come back even more energized to train hard.

I can deal with being off the bike...

Not so psyched about a knife you know where...I have a feeling the "talk" is coming

tiretrax
10-03-2012, 07:15 PM

1978!!

Were you in uniform at the time?

thashicray
10-03-2012, 08:12 PM

1978!!

Reminds me of an old joke...

Monica Lewinsky walks into her dry cleaning store and tells the old
man who owns it, "I've got another dress for you to clean."
Being hard of hearing, the old man asks, "Come again?"
"No," says Monica, "just mustard."

jmeloy
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Sitting waiting room and the only others there are a couple, younger than I. He keeps leaning over to her and talking and she pats his hand and keeps him calm. He gets called back before me and a few minutes later he comes back out to the door from the back and calls her to the door. She goes up to him and gives him a hug and back he goes. About 5 minutes later, the same door bangs open and out he comes, gown on, clothes in hand and straight out of the office door. Gone. By now I've developed a good sweat wondeing what he saw back there.

Mine went fine. Went to a SW themed party that night and my wife just kept bringing me big frozen margaritas which I nestled in my crotch between sips. No pain whatsoever!

steampunk
12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
I thought I'd chime in and add another data point...

Afternoon of - just slept on the couch with coolant on the cubes.
Day 2 - OK mobility, just tenderness nothing too bothersome.
Day 7 - "test the waters" ride, literally just on my street. Hmm, just OK.
Day 10 - another test ride, 12 miles but stayed close to the house. Better.
Day 13 - my usual mid-week ride, normal route 25ish miles and pace. A-OK.

:banana:

Lovetoclimb
12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
3 days before I was back on the trainer, 5 before I put in a 50 mile or so ride, then normal mileage after a week. I actually wore bibshorts almost exclusively the first 2 days after the procedure because of the lift and support they provided. It made the ice-pack less useful but I found the pressure relief was more appreciable.

Dave B
12-12-2012, 06:36 PM

The nurse who prepped me was smoking hot. I just wish the table I was on wasn't made of ice while the air conditioning was blowing directly on me while soaking me in liquid nitrogen.

For some reason I tried to explain I was cold and she just smiled and said that is what all guys say.

Then after it was done the doc said I needed to "clear the pipes', a few times before blah blah blah. With out thinking I asked how should I do it and did I need to come back and see the nurse.

His look and awkward silence were priceless. As he was explaining he didn't care how I did it, I realized what I said.

The nurse was still in the room.

So was my wife.

:help:

Next I can tell you that two weeks later I got on my Duc and took off too fast, did my first wheelie ever and landed on my giggle berries as I came down.

It would have been hilarious if Rowan Atkinson would have done this for a skit. As it was me, my eyes simply watered up and obscenities and moaning were screamed into my helmet.

All of this is true and typical of my adventures.